Texas Hunting Forum

Pillar bedding

Posted By: redchevy

Pillar bedding - 05/01/15 07:21 PM

I am going to pillar bed my savage 114. Has anyone done it? What kit did you use or recommend. Seems to be a glut of info on doing it for a rem 700 but pretty non existant for a savage. After pillars I plan to glass bed as well.

Thanks for any help.
Posted By: RifleDude

Re: Pillar bedding - 05/01/15 09:10 PM

The process is the same regardless of the action, except if you're pillar bedding a Ruger M77 (b/c of the angled front action screw). The only reason so much info exists on pillar bedding Remington 700s is because it's one of the most popular actions. As a result, pillars are available with a mating radius to the 700 receiver and drill alignment jigs are available specifically for stocks inletted for the Rem 700. You don't have to use pillars with the receiver radius machined in; that just makes for a cleaner installation.

I use the Score High Gunsmithing aluminum pillars because I like the grooves on the o.d. that provides a better mechanical lock with the epoxy and the stock. They make a threaded version that makes it easier to get the length correct. Or any machine shop can easily, inexpensively make some pillars for you out of virtually any metal. It's a quick and easy lathe job.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Pillar bedding - 05/01/15 09:37 PM

do it all at the same time....... wink
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Pillar bedding - 05/02/15 03:55 AM

Stocky's sells Savage pillars so you don't have to grind down the rear pillar to fit in the trigger sear.

Bedding the recoil lug is the same. There is a youtube video of a guy bedding his Chote stock with a Savage action, pretty helpful.

Just be sure to use plenty of release agent!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum