Texas Hunting Forum

Browning BAR Shorttrac

Posted By: bradyf

Browning BAR Shorttrac - 04/17/15 07:45 PM

I am looking at getting a new style Browning BAR. Does anyone on here have any reviews on the rifle good or bad? I have never owned a semi auto rifle before. I'm looking at 308 or 300 win mag. I have plenty of experience with bolt action rifles but was wanting to try something new. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Browning BAR Shorttrac - 04/17/15 08:31 PM

Got one in a 30-06, high figure and high gloss wood stock. Beautiful gun that doesn't see enough use. It's an absolute joy to shoot. Light weight for a semi. I'd get the 300WM if I was looking for a new one
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Browning BAR Shorttrac - 04/17/15 08:58 PM

I've shot several and hunted with some guys that used them. 243 Win, 270 Win, 30-06, and 300WM. I like rifles that will shoot very good, and the BAR's are not known for their accuracy. 2" groups are considered good. The 300 WM I shot was 3" with some fliers. The 243 shot the best. If you are ok with that, then they are not bad rifles. They are longer and a little heavier.

Re: Browning BAR Shorttrac - 04/18/15 02:13 AM

^^^^ what Chad said. My BAR is at best a 1.5 inch gun, but I've never fed it anything other then Rem Corelok
Posted By: spg

Re: Browning BAR Shorttrac - 04/18/15 11:10 AM

Might consider a bolt action if your looking for accuracy. Even with handloads it'll be hard to get 1in groups out a BAR.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Browning BAR Shorttrac - 04/18/15 07:33 PM

With the older Safari models with the BOSS tuner, it was a different story.
Posted By: bradyf

Re: Browning BAR Shorttrac - 04/18/15 08:50 PM

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Not too sure that 1.5 to 2 inch group will work.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Browning BAR Shorttrac - 04/20/15 02:45 PM

I have the camo/ synthetic model in 7mm wsm. It is light, well balanced and generally a pleasure to shoot. My current load shoots into 2.5" at 200 yards. My load testing wasn't extensive and I didn't find the rifle to be temperamental. Yes, I have more accurate bolt guns, but I'm very happy with the performance of my Short Trac.

Re: Browning BAR Shorttrac - 04/20/15 03:20 PM

I think a good trigger would go a long ways to improving accuracy, but I say that about all rifles. And yes, the BOSS system is a good system and helps with accuracy
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum