Texas Hunting Forum

True gun smith

Posted By: Tinkle

True gun smith - 04/16/15 01:59 AM

I have a shotgun that I've had since I was born, which got left out side and has rust and pits in it. I want to find someone who will dip the gun barrel and assembly to strip it and re blue the gun to make it like new. I live in graham, tx and want to find someone hopefully some where close that can do that for me. Anyone know of some one I can use?
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: True gun smith - 04/16/15 03:16 AM

Mitchells gun works in Breckenridge.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: True gun smith - 04/16/15 11:18 AM

Fair warning, smiths can only do so much improvement on pitted rust. If it's deep rust on a thin-walled barrel, they may not be able to get it all out.

I had a gunsmith do the same thing to my grandpa's old shotgun that I inherited as a kid. He ended up parkerizing it because he couldn't get a nice smooth finish without taking too much metal off. It looks great and it's one of my favorite guns.
Posted By: Tinkle

Re: True gun smith - 04/16/15 12:20 PM

Well it's a Remington youth model 870 and I have already used wd-40 and steel wool on it to get as much rust off as I could. It looks better but still not where I want it.
Posted By: leswad

Re: True gun smith - 04/18/15 03:15 PM

This stuff works extremely well and will not take the blueing off:

http://big45metalcleaner.com
Posted By: charlesb

Re: True gun smith - 04/18/15 07:27 PM

You can always tell if a gunsmith is a true Texas gunsmith, as he will possess a two-pound maul, a can of axle grease, and a big screwdriver.

Posted By: huntwest

Re: True gun smith - 04/19/15 02:20 AM

Take it to Albany to Willoughby-McCabe gunsmiths. Restoration work is their specialty.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum