Texas Hunting Forum

Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question

Posted By: Bbear

Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/14/15 03:18 PM

I have an older (1980-83 era) 700 Mountain rifle in 30-06. Scope is a Swarovski 3-9x40 mounted in Leupold base and rings. This rifle consistently puts two rounds in under .3-.4" then throws the 3rd round out an inch to the side. The barrel is NOT free-floated.
My question is, would free floating this pencil-barreled rifle stop that 3rd round flyer?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/14/15 03:20 PM

It would probably help.

My dad has the same gun in 280 and that barrel gets hot enough to fry an egg fast! Floating it and bedding the action should help.
Posted By: Ritter

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/14/15 03:50 PM

Bear,
Having no contact between the barrel and forearm should help with consistency even with the thin barrel profile. You may want to have the action bedded also.
I've seen mountain rifles capable of of shooting very tight 3 and 4 shot groups and with the components you described I'm sure yours can also. Take a good look at how the action and barrel are mounted in the stock to make sure the recoil lug is held tightly in the stock, the action is evenly supported and that the action screws cannot compress the stock when torqued properly. Just keep in mind that that rifle isn't designed to shoot long strings of rounds. The barrel will heat up pretty quickly and then throat erosion can become a problem along with accuracy.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/14/15 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Ritter
Bear,
Having no contact between the barrel and forearm should help with consistency even with the thin barrel profile. You may want to have the action bedded also.
I've seen mountain rifles capable of of shooting very tight 3 and 4 shot groups and with the components you described I'm sure yours can also. Take a good look at how the action and barrel are mounted in the stock to make sure the recoil lug is held tightly in the stock, the action is evenly supported and that the action screws cannot compress the stock when torqued properly. Just keep in mind that that rifle isn't designed to shoot long strings of rounds. The barrel will heat up pretty quickly and then throat erosion can become a problem along with accuracy.

This. Those thin barrels will make for flyers for sure. After the first group of 3, I never can get another group of 3. It's usually shoot 2 and wait. Then shoot 1 and wait between shots. Maybe I'm over thinking it but I shoot way more consistent when I wait between rounds.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/14/15 05:40 PM

Have y'all seen those barrel fans they make out of computer fans and PVC pipe? Pretty genius if you ask me
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/14/15 05:42 PM

When I do load development on my dads I only shoot it when its cold outside.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/14/15 06:21 PM

I have two Mt Rifles..one in .257 Roberts and one .270. Both shoot great BUT I never shoot with a hot barrel. Just something that was drummed into my head when I first started to shoot 50 years ago.

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/14/15 06:32 PM

I usually shoot this rifle like Bullfrog - shoot two then wait for barrel cooling.

I've heard of folks using the compressed air cans to cool a barrel down. Always figured it just cooled one side of the barrel (the inside) down and not the whole barrel.
I usually take 4-6 rifles to the range when I'm shooting/sighting in. Alternating between rifles and spending the most time with one of the .22's.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/14/15 09:33 PM

If its a hunting gun.... a two shot group will be fine as long as they hit where you want them too
Posted By: JCB

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/14/15 10:55 PM

I seriously doubt its a Mountain Rifle if it dates to the early 1980's as I am about 95% certain they did not produce those until around 1986 or so. If it has the mountain rifle stock and barrel profile odds are its not factory and just something someone put together.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/15/15 03:36 AM

The wood stocked Ruger Ultra Lights are notorius for this same thing...after 2-3 shots they need to go sit for a longer than I like while in the shade.
Ron
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/15/15 04:19 AM

My Ultra Lightweight does the same thing. It's the temperature.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/15/15 07:40 AM

Throwing shot number 3 to the right?

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/15/15 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Throwing shot number 3 to the right?

Yes, normally to the right.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/15/15 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB
I seriously doubt its a Mountain Rifle if it dates to the early 1980's as I am about 95% certain they did not produce those until around 1986 or so. If it has the mountain rifle stock and barrel profile odds are its not factory and just something someone put together.

From History of the Remington 700
1986: Remington rolls out the slimmed down, lightweight, compact Model 700 Mountain Rifle with 22-inch barrel. Touted as the ultimate mountain hunter’s rifle, this shorter, lighter 700 quickly became popular with deer hunters everywhere.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Older model 700 Mountain Rifle question - 04/15/15 11:08 PM

I was working in a sporting goods store back then. The Mountain Rifles were shipped and in stock immediately after the announcement so a serial number list might show a date of manufacture in 85.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum