Texas Hunting Forum

Remington Choke Thread Tool

Posted By: TXBoss

Remington Choke Thread Tool - 04/05/15 04:12 AM

Picked up a Remington 870 28" 12 gauge barrel the other day that had a choke seized up due to rust / corrosion. I finally broke it free and have had it soaking in penetrant, but I'm looking for a good way to chase the threads.

My Benelli has a tool on the choke wrench to chase threads, but it's a different thread pitch.

Does anyone know of a tool that will work with the Remington choke system?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Remington Choke Thread Tool - 04/05/15 11:41 PM

I would suggest reading the comments on this thread for some guidance.

Link

Re: Remington Choke Thread Tool - 04/06/15 02:15 AM

Thanks Dan... good reading.

The threads on this barrel are not damaged, but I'd like to run something through (besides a choke) that can chase (w/o removing metal like a finishing tap)the build up off the threads.

I may have to get an oversize brass brush and run it through on a drill to clean the threads. Anyone tried this?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Remington Choke Thread Tool - 04/06/15 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: TXBoss
Thanks Dan... good reading.

The threads on this barrel are not damaged, but I'd like to run something through (besides a choke) that can chase (w/o removing metal like a finishing tap)the build up off the threads.

I may have to get an oversize brass brush and run it through on a drill to clean the threads. Anyone tried this?

Ran across a thread that mentioned a 50/50 mix of diesel fuel and acetone being best for soaking threads before hitting them with a wire brush.

Re: Remington Choke Thread Tool - 04/06/15 08:55 AM

Well... I've got both of those. I'll give it a try.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Remington Choke Thread Tool - 04/06/15 01:12 PM

I don't know what affect it would have on the bluing, but you could blast it out with some brake cleaner real good then wipe it out. I would lube the threads and just thread it in and out a few times slow and put some antisize on it when you put it back in.

Re: Remington Choke Thread Tool - 05/04/15 04:59 AM

Lots of soaking and a Remington Choke Tube Wrench (the one that allows for 3/8 inch ratchet to be inserted) did the trick. It allowed for a smooth consistent torque to break free.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum