Texas Hunting Forum

opinions on a quality hunting rifle

Posted By: Bigfoot

opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/26/15 09:57 PM

I know this thread has been done to death I am sure but here we go again

I need a hunting rifle for deer pigs etc

.308 and under $750 and must be stainless and synthetic are my requirements

I am looking at the Savage weather warrior 116 and the Tikka T3 Lite stainless

They both look like great rifles. I have read the trigger is better on the Tikka so I am leaning that way.

Any opinions or other similar rifles I am missing in that price range I should consider

Thanks
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/26/15 09:59 PM

I think you already hit the nail on the head with the 2 options. See which you can find for cheaper and go for it.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/26/15 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I think you already hit the nail on the head with the 2 options. See which you can find for cheaper and go for it.

Yup.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/26/15 10:39 PM

Somebody lied to you about a better trigger in the Tikka. The Savage is a great rifle, the Accustock on the Savage is far better then what comes on the Tikka. And something that is very much overlooked, but makes a huge difference in the shooter enjoying shooting a rifle, Savage has an awesome recoil pad.

I've shot older Savages in 308 that kicked like a steroided mule, and when I bought mine that was my first thought when I squeezed the trigger "oh boy here it comes" but I was wrong. Limbsaver and Pachmyer doesn't have anything on the Savage recoil pads.

Both will be good guns, but the Savage will be better
Posted By: 603Country

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/26/15 10:43 PM

Personally, I'd go with the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless first, then the Ruger Hawkeye Stainless, then the Savage. I have the first two rifles and don't want the third. But...that's just me.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/26/15 10:47 PM

I would go Tikka T3.

I'm sure the Savage is fine. I just can't bring myself to buy one. Kinda like I am about a Dodge pickup. smile
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/26/15 11:20 PM

I personally like Savage but I have never fired a Tikka. I know a lot of people like Tikka on here so they can't be wrong. I went to Cabelas and picked one up, didn't thrill me to much. My brother just bought a Savage 6.5 Creedmoor with the Accustock for 800. Has a 24" fluted barrel, accutrigger breaks at 2 lbs, and the Accustock is much stiffer than other factory plastic stocks I have handled. We are doing load development this weekend, should be fun.
Posted By: JCB

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/26/15 11:52 PM

Tikka and don't think twice about it!

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 12:12 AM

Tough decision thanks for the input guys. I am reading bad things about the recoil pad and stock on the the Tikka and how it is hard to load on top.

The Savage is made in the USA and I hear good things about the stock and butt pad.

Not sure how hard it is to load a savage by hand. Can anyone chime in?

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 12:30 AM

It's a center feed magazine, never had a problem loading from the top but I isually drop the magazine out to load anyways
Posted By: wp75169

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Tough decision thanks for the input guys. I am reading bad things about the recoil pad and stock on the the Tikka and how it is hard to load on top.

The Savage is made in the USA and I hear good things about the stock and butt pad.

The people who are having a hard time loading the tikka by hand have other problems.

The Accustock is superior I'm sure. But the standard stock on my buddies new 116 is a horrible piece of crap. So be careful which you chose. The accutrigger is good if your used that style of trigger with the built in safety. The trigger on the tikka is excellent.

Side by side shooting they both shoot very well with the edge going to the tikka. Both are sub moa with hand loads. Just one more so than the other. Be very careful where you rest the fore end on the savage if you get the cheap stock.

The bolt throw alone makes all the difference for me. Easy to tell unloaded but far easier to tell when picking up a round out of the magazine. The tikka reigns supreme.

Edit: the butt pad on the tikka sucks. Bad. Mine get replaced with a limbsaver.
Posted By: bdotson

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 01:24 AM

Got a be different Remington 700 for me.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 01:48 AM

Tikka has a small cut out similar to the Savage Axis/Remington 770. They are hard to load from the top which is why they come with detachable magazines. If I were to buy a Tikka today I would get the detachable magazine model. Also, if you buy a Tikka you will want a different stock for it so that adds to the cost. With the Savage you can get the Accustock and be set. IMO a Savage with Accustock and Accutrigger is the best out of the box package on the market.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas

Tikka has a small cut out similar to the Savage Axis/Remington 770. They are hard to load from the top which is why they come with detachable magazines. If I were to buy a Tikka today I would get the detachable magazine model. Also, if you buy a Tikka you will want a different stock for it so that adds to the cost. With the Savage you can get the Accustock and be set. IMO a Savage with Accustock and Accutrigger is the best out of the box package on the market.

Does tikka make a model without a detachable mag?
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 02:03 AM

Remington.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: wp75169

Does tikka make a model without a detachable mag?

You're right, they don't, my mistake. I was thinking about their new CTR's with the 10 round magazine.
Posted By: Erny

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: bdotson
Got a be different Remington 700 for me.

My vote as well.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 02:33 AM

Tikka
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 03:16 AM

I'm on my 4th Tikka & 3rd T3 ...and they've all shot out of the box with no tuning. Gotta luv those SAKO barrels.

I'm not a fan of the synthetic T3 stock & the wood Hunter stock is a little plain too, but there are lots of options, from $100-$250+ plain vanilla Boyd's drop in that are fully finished to your choice of laminates or 5 grades and kind of wood & 5 stock styles with your choice of LOP, butt pad,cut checkering yadda yadda to B&C Medallions & Manners.

NONE ...I Say Again ... NONE of my Tikka's have needed the barrel broken in. The barrel is prolly still hand swaged like the SAKO's are. Get a price on THAT from the Savage Custom Shop...

Other options include a 5 round mag & the 10 Round CTR mag that'll need a conversion kit is also a bolt on DYI option albeit at some spendy bux.

I bought my last T3 from Bud's at less than MSRP & shipped Free...and NO Remmy style recalls either....ever.

PS the SAKO RoughTec is a stepped up T3 and worth the xtra bux...
JMHO & YMMV
Ron
Posted By: patriot07

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 03:24 AM

The factory Tikka stock was just too much of a piece of junk for me to consider it, especially at the price. And since I was in the market for a heavy barrel model, the Tikka Varmint was significantly more expensive (around $300) more than a comparable Savage.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in a Tikka, but I think you'll enjoy shooting the Savage more. That was my conclusion after extensive comparison shopping and research anyway.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 03:26 AM

For that matter, I'd be surprised if you could get a stainless Tikka for $750 new out-the-door.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 03:35 AM

I am sure Tikkas are great, but stock Savages have been used to win National shooting competitions.

Posted By: boonee

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 03:44 AM

Buy the Savage, and spend the "extra" money on better optics.
Just my 2cents
Posted By: Loaded

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
For that matter, I'd be surprised if you could get a stainless Tikka for $750 new out-the-door.

$678 + FFL from Bud's (no tax, free shipping).

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Loaded
Originally Posted By: patriot07

$678 + FFL from Bud's (no tax, free shipping).
I'm surprised. LGS that usually has good prices has it listed at $780.

Regardless, I got my varmint barrel Savage for $400 from Dick's ($579 with 10% off for signing up for a card minus $75 back for selling the scope it came with minus a $50 mail-in rebate minus $40 in rewards points). Not stainless, but it's got a better stock with two front swivel studs and I had hundreds left to spare over a comparable Tikka.
Posted By: SR025

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 04:29 AM

Tikka all day everyday and twice on Sunday. The trigger is phenomal and the action is super smooth.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 12:35 PM

...and Bud's also has some small discounts from the $678 for repeat custoners or on older inventory....like I got on my 260 T3 Just Sayin' BTDT THIS YEAR

Stock Schmock ...how do the Savage's shoot NIB with no tuning right outta the box...how are the barrels as seen thru a bore scope...I keep hearing on other channels the Peeps whining about having to clean the Savage barrels incessantly from the copper deposit buildups way more frequently than whatever they'd been shooting before ...or about like the bolt cycle feel of a NIB CZ, and tells me that the barrels are not finished properly...about like early days Tang Safety Ruger 77's were, when I was buying 3-5 of them a year looking for a winner. YES they would smooth out, but it took 100-200+ rounds to get there & a usual regimen of predictable tuning. In those days I'd rather fight rthe devil you know than diddle with the unknowns...and why I go back to T3's today, despite the stock issues that I am less than impressed with. I can fix a stock mo easily to my satisfaction, than I can a gravel road kinda barrel.
Ron
Posted By: J.G.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 12:46 PM

They both look like great rifles. I have read the trigger is better on the Tikka

Here's the tale. I've got about 5000 rounds of range time behind Savage actions. The Accutrigger is a good trigger and it is a safe trigger. You will need to periodically clean it or the rifle won't fire and that is after the trigger goes from where you had it set to ounces of trigger pull. I've never worn one out, though If you get an Accustocked Savage you will have a solid stock. Savage has an ejector that is too small and therefore an ejector spring that is too small. They wear out fast and are tricky to replace. I've done that several times as well. Right now my 22-250 Savage needs an ejector spring and I cannot find any in stock. So it appears everyone else in America is having the same problem.

Tikka is a smoother action, has a 60 degree bolt throw, a side bolt release, a hinged extractor and a robust ejector. The T-3 stocks are flimzy, they will work, but you can justify replacing the stock.

Both rifles will shoot 1 MOA or better, especially with a hand load tuned to the rifle.

I have all but abandoned Savage actions and have switched over to Tikkas.
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Tikka is a smoother action, has a 60 degree bolt throw, a side bolt release, a hinged extractor and a robust ejector.

Slight correction. It's actually a 70 degree bolt lift.
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 01:23 PM

I say try to find a tc icon.

You simply won't find a better factory action.
3 integral recoil lugs
integral picatinny rail
3 lug 60 degree bolt
side bolt release
decent but not outstanding trigger
Simple bolt handle changes and firing pin maintenance.
Bedding block
5r barrel guaranteed to shoot

What more could a guy ask for?
I only wish they still produced these rifles.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 01:51 PM

Another option would be a weatherby vanguard. I have been really happy with mine. I bought a Savage 114 stainless classic last year in 243. I have been really happy with it. It is a wood stock and came in less than your budget, a synthetic should be less.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua
I say try to find a tc icon.

You simply won't find a better factory action.
3 integral recoil lugs
integral picatinny rail
3 lug 60 degree bolt
side bolt release
decent but not outstanding trigger
Simple bolt handle changes and firing pin maintenance.
Bedding block
5r barrel guaranteed to shoot

What more could a guy ask for?
I only wish they still produced these rifles.

I have one in 30.06 and I love the rifle. To your point, I wish they still made them.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 02:06 PM

I own a tikka and a savage. I would go with the tikka. when shot side by side there is no comparison. I have seen issues with ejectors. they seem harder to be harder to clean. Get the Tikka you wont regret it.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 03:32 PM

RC you are aware I'm sure that Howa got sued by SAKO years ago and complied with the court's decision that they had copied the SAKO 579 receiver too closely and had to alter it...and did, enough to satisfy the Court.

So the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard is and has been a close clone of the older SAKO and long discontinued design, albeit with later edition upgrades.

My only experiences with a Savage personally was a highly tuned 116 SS/syn 300WMg with a timney trigger in it too, that shot great but had a 20" barrel behind the 4" corncob muzzle brake...and got traded off on a CZ 550 270 that also went down the road unfired. Imelda what'sher name in the Phippines and her shoe collection ain't got nuthin on me about swappin stuff I get bored with or don't fit the Paradign of the Moment.

I will also say that my long departed Tikka 695, and 2 of the 3 T3's I own, my blued T3 Swede HG and my T3 270 SS/syn all share something I've never seen in any other brand...they all will chamber & extract a loose or magazine fed round with the bolt by simply rocking the loose bolt back and forth untouched...both on factory ammo & my handloads. THAT's some kinda slick factory finish out IMO. Neither of the 2 Savages - one old tired 110 series 30'06 and a recent 111? SS/syn 7-08 friends have will do that, and my old 116 dang sure would not do it...it sounded like a trash truck runnin the bolt home....click clack click clack...but put 'em all in 1 hole in a 300WMg & 180gr Max Loaded Sierra's if I was up to it that day.

Haven't unpacked the T3 260 HG since I bought it, but I expect it will do the same thing now that I've got the scope for it I wanted and can see some free time in the future before it gets too hot to shoot it.
Ron

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 03:43 PM

RC you are aware I'm sure that Howa got sued by SAKO years ago and complied with the court's decision that they had copied the SAKO 579 receiver too closely and had to alter it...and did, enough to satisfy the Court.

So the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard is and has been a close clone of the older SAKO and long discontinued design, albeit with later edition upgrades.

My only experiences with a Savage personally was a highly tuned 116 SS/syn 300WMg with a timney trigger in it too, that shot great but had a 20" barrel behind the 4" corncob muzzle brake...and got traded off on a CZ 550 270 that also went down the road unfired. Imelda what'sher name in the Phippines and her shoe collection ain't got nuthin on me about swappin stuff I get bored with or don't fit the Paradign of the Moment.

I will also say that my long departed Tikka 695 270, and 2 of the 3 T3's I own, my blued T3 Swede HG and my T3 270 SS/syn all share something I've never seen in any other brand...they all will chamber a loose or magazine fed round with the bolt by simply rocking the loose bolt back and forth untouched...both on factory ammo & my handloads. THAT's some kinda slick factory finish out IMO. Neither of the 2 Savages friends have will do that, and my old 116 dang sure would not do it...it sounded like a trash truck runnin acroos a train track when the bolt went home.

Haven't unpacked the 260 T3 HG since I bought it, but I expect it will do the same thing now that I've got the scope for it I wanted and can see some free time in the future before it gets too hot to shoot it.
Ron

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 03:58 PM

You could probably solve a lot of this by answering what's most important to you? Accuracy, price, factory stock, etc.?

If you're going to dump the factory stock either way, price isn't that important and you love a smooth action, then the Tikka is probably your best bet.

If price is important, you don't want to be immediately forced to spend more money on a stock and you don't care too much about how smooth the action is, then the Savage is probably a better option.

JMHO from a couple months of research before making this decision myself.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
...and Bud's also has some small discounts from the $678 for repeat custoners or on older inventory....like I got on my 260 T3 Just Sayin' BTDT THIS YEAR

Stock Schmock ...how do the Savage's shoot NIB with no tuning right outta the box...how are the barrels as seen thru a bore scope...I keep hearing on other channels the Peeps whining about having to clean the Savage barrels incessantly from the copper deposit buildups way more frequently than whatever they'd been shooting before ...or about like the bolt cycle feel of a NIB CZ, and tells me that the barrels are not finished properly...about like early days Tang Safety Ruger 77's were, when I was buying 3-5 of them a year looking for a winner. YES they would smooth out, but it took 100-200+ rounds to get there & a usual regimen of predictable tuning. In those days I'd rather fight rthe devil you know than diddle with the unknowns...and why I go back to T3's today, despite the stock issues that I am less than impressed with. I can fix a stock mo easily to my satisfaction, than I can a gravel road kinda barrel.
Ron

They shoot MOA or better right out of the box. I didn't follow any "barrel break in" when I bought my last Savage, didn't have the time. I had to get that gun sighted in and be ready for a week long shooting class. Put around 500 rounds down the pipe during that class. Right out of the box and topped with a good scope then gun consistently shot sub MOA with facotry Federal Match ammo. It was a model 10 in 308 sporting the Accustock and Accutrigger. I was the only person in the 20+ shooters rocking a stock rifle, most of the others had HS Precision or G.A. Precison or AI rifles. Savages are shooters, they may not have a big name like Sako behind them, but they know what they are doing.
Posted By: huck18

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 04:10 PM

Tikka and I don't really think there's much to debate.

If I was you I would spend a little more cash and get a Tikka CTR. It comes with an integrated rail and a beefed up stock.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 04:22 PM

I have never shot a tikka, but I looked at several of them. They felt very cheap to me... and yeah that is coming from someone who bought a savage over a tikka. I have no regrets.
Posted By: JD4030

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 04:23 PM

[/quote] With the Savage you can get the Accustock and be set. IMO a Savage with Accustock and Accutrigger is the best out of the box package on the market. [/quote]

The Tikka is a good rifle and both will shoot well. But for the money, this setup is hard to beat.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I have never shot a tikka, but I looked at several of them. They felt very cheap to me... and yeah that is coming from someone who bought a savage over a tikka. I have no regrets.

My thoughts exactly. I was not impressed with the Tikkas that I handled

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: SR025
Tikka all day everyday and twice on Sunday. The trigger is phenomal and the action is super smooth.

How's yours shoot? It's broken right? banana

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

roflmao the base screws are damaged because of the cerakote guy. Still sure without a scope it could shoot better than a savage peep

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 05:51 PM

Same experience I had. I was all excited to check out a Tikka because all the great reports. I picked it up and though "that's it?". The action is great but that's all your buying really.

Both guns will work but what has kept me from buying a Tikka is all their guns are long actions. In my mind, this defeats the purpose of buying a short action Tikka, they just put plastic bolt stops. If I did buy a Tikka it would be a long action caliber.
Posted By: huck18

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 06:00 PM

Same experience I had. I was all excited to check out a Tikka because all the great reports. I picked it up and though "that's it?". The action is great but that's all your buying really.

The action, barrel and trigger are all better than the Savage. So if your buying a rifle for the stock go with the Savage if your buying it for a smooth as glass action with an extremely accurate barrel and a great trigger go with the Tikka.

I upgrade stocks on all of my rifles so I dont really care how bad the factory stock is.
Posted By: krm944

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 06:06 PM

[quote=WileyCoyote Savages are shooters, they may not have a big name like Sako behind them, but they know what they are doing.

Dollar for Dollar I dont think a Savage gun can be beat! My kids $200 AXIS in .308 is a shooter for sure!

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: huck18

The action, barrel and trigger are all better than the Savage. So if your buying a rifle for the stock go with the Savage if your buying it for a smooth as glass action with an extremely accurate barrel and a great trigger go with the Tikka.

I upgrade stocks on all of my rifles so I dont really care how bad the factory stock is.

I don't think the action, barrel, and trigger are better on the Tikka. How many National Shooting Champions have won competitions with factory Tikkas? Savage has entire team that competes globally with stock Savage rifles.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 06:11 PM

you should see some of the junky guns iv killed deer with.. one was an sks that's main color was rust.. another was a junky pump rifle/...had my savage since I was 9 and still shoots good... hardly clean it... base model gold ring scope on top.. may be worth $300 max... but she will never be sold... its just a tool... not a mantle piece

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 06:39 PM

roflmao the base screws are damaged because of the cerakote guy. Still sure without a scope it could shoot better than a savage peep

Not with you slapping the trigger. My shotty will throw up better grouping whip

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 07:00 PM

Not with you slapping the trigger. My shotty will throw up better grouping whip

I said it not me troutgrin

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 07:36 PM

Has Tikka entered any of these competitons? I have competed a whole lot with a Savage action and can tell you it is very very frustrating to be trying to run a stage and the whimpy ejector doesn't eject spent brass. If I had ten minutes to make ten shots I wouldn't mind, but I've got about 60 seconds to make 6-10 shots at various targets, at various ranges and postions. Whole lot going on in your mind, it sucks having to add the need to remove spent brass fron the action. As of right now my 22-250 is doing exactly that, removing the brass from the chamber and letting go of it in on top of the mag every shot.

I've worked up loads both for Savages and Tikkas, and neither has shot better than the other. They both shoot great.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 08:00 PM

You guys are making it tough and have given a lot of good advice.

Funny how there is never the perfect rifle. One has a good stock one doesnt one has quality bolt components one doesnt one has a good butt pad and the other doesnt.

Both shoot well and will out perform me as far as their accuracy so that I dont have to decide on.

I have the optic already in hand. Trijicon accupoint 3-9X40. Should be a very nice piece of glass for this rifle set up and application.

I plan on buying just this one rifle for longer shots to compliment my AR for pig hunting or deer. I prefer pigs. Go figure!

308 vs 30-06 They match up exactly the same as far as my rifle abilities are concerned. But I am leaning to 30-06 just for the fact that during the last ammo shortage 2 years ago there was plenty of 30-06 on the shelf and no 308 anywhere. That would be my only reason to do a 30-06 over a 308. Does this make sense?

Or does a 270 with its faster flatter and more wind resistant bullet make it more accurate for a novice shooter? Less wind drift, less drop, faster bullet so less of a lead on moving animals, etc

How do you decide on the perfect rifle that you want to last a lifetime?

It sounds like I need to get the Tikka Stainless in 308 30-06 0r 270.

Oh boy!
Here we go again?

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 08:14 PM

270 performs poorly in the wind compared to .308 or 30-06. Speed is not everything at longer ranges. I vote .308 but 06 is an excellent choice. Limbsaver or similar butt pad is a must with any of the calibers you listed if your going to spend much time on the bench. My current personal favorite is the 7-08. Moderate recoil with good performance on game and long range.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 08:29 PM

How do you decide on the perfect rifle that you want to last a lifetime?

It sounds like I need to get the Tikka Stainless in 308 30-06 0r 270.

Oh boy!
Here we go again?

Of those three, I'd go with the .30-06

Not my quote "The .30-06 will do everything the .308 will do, only better." That's true, it also has more recoil.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 08:29 PM

blah if you go with .30 get a real one not a st. issue

Id go with .270

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 08:30 PM

as for the other two 30-06 all day...
Posted By: hermano W

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 08:31 PM

I have a CZ 550 in 30-06 that is very accurate and comes with CZ rings. I like the set trigger. It has beautiful bluing and stock. 113 rounds of good ammo and I'm not too far from Galveston Bay. I'll let you have it for $700.00
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: wp75169
270 performs poorly in the wind compared to .308 or 30-06. Speed is not everything at longer ranges. I vote .308 but 06 is an excellent choice. Limbsaver or similar butt pad is a must with any of the calibers you listed if your going to spend much time on the bench. My current personal favorite is the 7-08. Moderate recoil with good performance on game and long range.
+1. There are a myriad of .30 caliber bullets with MUCH better BC than anything you can get in .270, and I'm talking over the counter ammo, not just handloading.

Being that you already have an AR, and could build a Grendel upper for it to cover the middle ground if you wanted, I'd go with the .30-06 since you can get ammo anywhere for it and short of brown bears (and perhaps large grizzlies) is adequate for anything in North America.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 09:32 PM

Just went up to a local gun store that had both rifles. Looks like BigPig has me sold now. I handled both rifles and the feeling of the Savage w/accustock was very nice and just felt better and more solid. I also looked at some kimbers and Howas and remmy's. the kimbers were nice but way too much for a beginner hunter

Thanks boys!! Savage Weather warrior in 30-06 is going to be my first real hunting rifle. Now I just need to get my M1A sold so I can get it. My local gun store will take my M1A in trade but of course they are low balling me on it.
Posted By: Wader

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 09:35 PM

I bought my son a Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 last year and another is on my short list of rifle purchases. I have and like Savages too, but the Tikka trigger feels better than my Accutriggers. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Between a .308 and a 30-06, I vote '06.

-ww

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 09:41 PM

Seems like it's always about the BC of the bullet with some folks. Gotta have a great BC or you can't hunt anything. That's Baloney, with a capital B. If the OP's shots on pigs aren't past 500 yards or so, who cares what the BC of the bullet is. I have the stainless Tikka T3 in 260 and I like it a lot (including the stock that some of you don't like). That said, my shooting won't be out past 500, and I just personally couldn't care less what the BC of my bullets are. And if the pigs, which have left me (I can't believe I'm saying that I want them back) do come back and get bigger, I'll drag out the 270. It hits harder than the 260, and kicks harder than the 260, but sure is a hammer. The 260 is just a smaller hammer, with little recoil. And is light, and super accurate, and easy to carry, and has an action like glass. It's as smooth and solid as the action on my old Sako, which I've always likened to closing a bank vault door.

If the OP goes with the T3 Lite Stainless, be again advised that it's wonderfully light. And will likely kick like a mule in 30-06. Get it in 6.5 Creedmore or 260 or 7-08. And I'd take a 270 over a 308 every chance I got. So did my Dad. He hunted with a 308 for years, till I loaned him my 270. He shot a couple of deer and coyotes with it and said "Son, I like this 270 and I need one". So he sold the 308 and we kids bought him a 270 and he hunted with it happily for about 20 years. For the record, it was a Ruger Ultralight with tang safety. Great rifle. Kicks just a touch. A big touch.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
Seems like it's always about the BC of the bullet with some folks. Gotta have a great BC or you can't hunt anything. That's Baloney, with a capital B. If the OP's shots on pigs aren't past 500 yards or so, who cares what the BC of the bullet is. I have the stainless Tikka T3 in 260 and I like it a lot (including the stock that some of you don't like). That said, my shooting won't be out past 500, and I just personally couldn't care less what the BC of my bullets are. And if the pigs, which have left me (I can't believe I'm saying that I want them back) do come back and get bigger, I'll drag out the 270. It hits harder than the 260, and kicks harder than the 260, but sure is a hammer. The 260 is just a smaller hammer, with little recoil. And is light, and super accurate, and easy to carry, and has an action like glass. It's as smooth and solid as the action on my old Sako, which I've always likened to closing a bank vault door.

If the OP goes with the T3 Lite Stainless, be again advised that it's wonderfully light. And will likely kick like a mule in 30-06. Get it in 6.5 Creedmore or 260 or 7-08. And I'd take a 270 over a 308 every chance I got. So did my Dad. He hunted with a 308 for years, till I loaned him my 270. He shot a couple of deer and coyotes with it and said "Son, I like this 270 and I need one". So he sold the 308 and we kids bought him a 270 and he hunted with it happily for about 20 years. For the record, it was a Ruger Ultralight with tang safety. Great rifle. Kicks just a touch. A big touch.

Never said you had to have a great BC to hunt with, but a 30-06 is infinitely more flexible than a .270-you never know what you may want to do with a gun, particularly if it's your only one (or one of just a couple). Why not buy the most flexible option?
Posted By: JD4030

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 10:19 PM

Just went up to a local gun store that had both rifles. Looks like BigPig has me sold now. I handled both rifles and the feeling of the Savage w/accustock was very nice and just felt better and more solid. I also looked at some kimbers and Howas and remmy's. the kimbers were nice but way too much for a beginner hunter

Thanks boys!! Savage Weather warrior in 30-06 is going to be my first real hunting rifle. Now I just need to get my M1A sold so I can get it. My local gun store will take my M1A in trade but of course they are low balling me on it.

Check the price at Buds Gun Shop (online), you may be able to get a better price with free shipping.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 10:21 PM

What kind of m1a and how much?

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 10:25 PM

603 country my reference to BC was a direct result of his reference to wind drift. And nothing more. He wanted to fight the wind at long range. A higher BC bullet at moderate velocity beats a poor BC at a higher velocity at long range. Which was what he spoke of.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 10:44 PM

OMG I can't believe I'ma fixin to commit a heresy, as a 270 shooter for almost 50 years...go buy a 7-08 or 280 in whatever you buy to start with.... there I said it publicly and now FJG can giggle at me out loud and say I tole you so.

Obviously there are no flys on either a 308 or '06...but in Texas and most of the USA a 7-08 will do everything a 270 will do and have less recoil...and can be upgraded aka rebuilt for LR work with the necessary stuff to shoot like FJG does at 1K+. Like every other caliber you will need to learn to reload to realize the maximum efficiency of the caliber...or buy Chad a new truck's worth of his tuned ammo until you do.

When I bought a tricked out 308 TC Venture last December off GunBroker it was to take advantage of the milsurp supply of 7.62x51 brass in CHEEP Stuff for use as a under 250 yard Swamp Killer & Boat Paddle downloaded in the 24-25-2600fps range for no recoil...and could of as easily bought the same configuration of WeatherShield & All Purpose Camo Wrap in a 7-08 at about the same $350 net net I paid on ther 308 from the same dealer at the same time, but would've had to fight off another guy that was as intent on the tricked out 7-08 as I was the 308. Rethought the strategy in the hours spent in another of the DinL's hospital waiting rooms, and sold the 308 when we got back home.

For shots under 400 yards Ballistic Coefficient #'s are prety much meaningless, ask the XSpurts. However at +5-6-7-800 & over 1000 yards or more the BC's are everything, in fighting the wind, as elevation can be dialed to quote a Local Well Known Guru.

7-08 or a 280 IMO is the perfect 'tweener now that we have gooder n'gooder bullets and waay Mo Bettah powder these days, unlike in the late '60's when I learned the lessons I draw from today. In my search for the perfect "Last Guns I'll Ever Buy To Hunt With" aka "what to use for the next 10 years"...most likely I'll wind up with a pair of 284's in a short lite 7x57/7-08 w/ a 20-22" max length barrel for a walk around or box blind for a 2-3 mebbe 400 yard shooter & a 280/280AI in a 24or 26" barrel for a Long Gun for open country, with one in an All Weather and the other in a traditional Wood/Blue, since I'll never go to Alaska or Africa and never need another Magnum or anything bigger than 284 175 gr bullets at 2600fps. The 2nd tier Last Guns will be a 9.3x62 for pure fun in assasinating cantaloupes and water mellons or a stray nilgi + a 6.5 Swede/260 for Varmints and slightly bigger critters in 100-120gr'ers or something similar and a GREAT 22LR Tree Rat shooter I'm gonna try and wear out....a Cooper 22Lr sounds nice...

Wish I'd listened to my grandfather who told me to buy a 280 almost 50 years ago and not get suckered into a 270WCF like all the KewlKidds. Nope Peer Pressure was too great in 1968/'69 and I've had a good run with a 270 and could live with one the rest of my life & just might always have one on the shelf to look at and draw blood occasionaly with to prove th point... but like all things in Life the Best Rifle is always the Next Rifle.

Got a buddy that's done that with wives and on his GodOnlyKnowsHowMany???? and is working halfway thru the 2nd Hands set of fingers ... and ya'll just thought guns were an expensive hobby. I think he used to keep a Divorce Atty on a Retainer...I know he had one on speed dial.
Ron

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 10:58 PM

I wondered who'd kick about the mentioning of the cuss words "ballistic coefficient".

Twas not I that brought it up, this time....

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 11:22 PM

SRO25 it is in the classifieds here. Just dropped price to $1375

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5672750/1 http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5672750/1

I am not comfortable with shooting anything over 275-300 yards somewhere around there will be my limit for an ethical shot. Thanks guys lets not get heated up over bc's

I am just looking for that all around rifle cartridge which is 308 or 30-06 and I would rather have the 308 but after that last ammo scare and 308 was nowhere to be found and 30-06 was all over the shelves. That is the only reason I am going with 30-06. For my novice abilities there will be no difference most likely in shot placement performance.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 11:36 PM

Naw Ya Dinnit, I did...quoting you LOLOL

Actually it was Chad I was quoting that under ??? yards BC's were meaningless and only important past 4-500 yards...and you said that you could dial for elevation & hold for wind but BC's were critical for fighting the wind. I'm on board with those Principals, 'cause I read lots more places than just THF. Helps put me to sleep studying drop charts Vs BC's & MV's by diameter and bullet weight.

Right now I am almost giddy today and don't care what who sez about anything...

The DinL's Brain Surgery last Monday went well, She's out of ICU today, early, and in a room, with only a 9" zipper in the back of her skull to show for the 6+ hour trip on the OR Table, and no loss of motor skills, speech, memory yadda yadda from losing a chunk of the Cerebellum along with over 90% of the 2 INCH non Malignant tumor that was blocking 75%+ of all the blood flow to the right side of her brain, up to the back of the Optic Nerve, causing blindness, loss of hearing, and loss of inner ear balance and so on. Looks like she'll get to go home mebbe Sunday or early next week. This time last week we were not certain she'd live long enough to get to the OR Table and eating each other alive at the simplest wrong word...now we are planning for the next Battle.

The Worst Bad Guy is down & done successfully, #2 that could paralyze her below the waist for life is coming asap & #'s 3 & 4 reconstructions could be done at this rate by early/mid summer and then we get to fix the Lymphoma Cancer in her colon again mebbe before September. July '15 makes 24 months we've been on this Journey, starting with a Pancreas Tumor excision that less that %5/10% of patients survive from.

Nope I need the Rifle Looney chattering class yipping and yapping inanities to keep me sane and remind me that there really is a normal Life out there going on "out there in the World as we once knew it"...or at least occupied with thinking about something non Medically Related.

BC arguments are fun....kinda like "how many angels can dance on the tip of a needle" from shakespeare's days. This other stuff will hurt your head and make you loose hope and make you want to quit fighting ... but there is NO QUIT in this lady my son is married to that I'm pulling for. My JOB now to live up to her example and keep a happy face doing it and not allow my Dark Side to daydream and get out of hand.

My apologies to All for the TMI dump.
Ron

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/27/15 11:46 PM

Hang in there wiley we are all pulling for you and her! I love hearing the advice of the experienced.

the good thing is that no matter what I choose it will be the right one.

You are right Wiley it is good to get your mind off other things with something you like!
Posted By: turbotj

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/28/15 02:00 AM

Well Bigfoot I bet your glad you ask the question, it's all clear now which is the best! Right!

Keep an open mind, handle a bunch of different brands, pick one that fits you and your budget, with an adjustable trigger and you won't be disappointed!

Tikka
Sako A7

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/28/15 02:11 AM

I might've gotten a little too grumpy regarding bullet BC, and it does matter at distance.

Now...to get back to the original topic, I'm still a Tikka fan though if someone prefers a Savage that's fine. As for calibers, i guess I have to admit I've made my terrific old Sako 270 into a safe queen. Pains me to say it, but there it is. That Tikka in 260 has just started sticking to my hand when I deer hunt. So light and well balanced and so very accurate. And it seems to work about as well on the deer. But, if I was going to consider another caliber, I'd most likely go to a 6.5-284 rather than a 7-08. Not being a long range target shooter, barrel life isn't that much of a concern of mine, and I think of the 6.5-284 as a 260 on Red Bull - giving full 270 ballistics with a bullet with better....yes....I'm gonna admit it...BC.

The 30-06 would be a fine option I'm sure, but unless you specifically need that much grunt (and I don't), why combine that recoil with the light and well balanced Tikka T3 Lite. I can happily shoot that 260 all day long, which may be plenty of reason to not upgrade to the 6.5-284 if it's tough on the shoulder (which is info I don't have).

And Wiley, best of luck with the DinL's recovery. I also had brain surgery for a non-malignant tumor that was blocking blood flow and had intruded into my left eye socket. Truly kicked my tail and took a full year to get over, but I got to keep all my faculties, eyes, ears, and whatever. Tell her this will pass.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/28/15 02:46 AM

LOL I love these threads.

Get what you like and gives you confidence. In whatever caliber of those being bandied about. For whatever reason you think is the most important for you. You will be fine.

I like my old .270 but I have a bunch of deer/sheep/antelope rifles-I am ashamed to say how many. I like them all.

Good luck and have fun!

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/28/15 03:26 PM

I've hunted with all 3 calibers and believe it or not all 3 calibers killed the animal. I'm partial to the 270 because that's what my first rifle was that my dad bought me. All three will treat you right, bullet choices are great for all 3 and should be able to find something no matter what you want to hunt. The 308 will prob be a better choice if you decide to ever take your shooting to longer distances, and I only say that because there is a lot of information regarding the 308 and a lot of match ammo available for it.

Good choice on the Savage! As far as the extractor hanging up or not fully ejecting, you have to get angry with it. Not sure why everybody baby's the bolt when reloading. Ever notice how violent a M1A or AR-15/10 is when cycling a round?

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/28/15 11:54 PM

Put another 3000-4000 rounds in the Savage action, get as violent as you want and see if it makes a hill of beans.

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/29/15 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Put another 3000-4000 rounds in the Savage action, get as violent as you want and see if it makes a hill of beans.

I don't want a hill of beans

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/29/15 12:59 AM

grin

Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle - 03/29/15 01:12 AM

Is rather have a bowl of Velveeta Shells n Cheese
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum