Texas Hunting Forum

Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights

Posted By: Texas Dan

Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/25/15 06:18 PM

I'm sure the same is true for holographic sights as well, but I noticed these and even much cheaper clear lens sights work far better than iron sights for those who are older and nearsighted like me.

Let's face it, there are cases where a magnified scope just gets in the way when making a close (50 yards or less) and otherwise easy shot. After all, there are times when you need to shoot some critter that's just a few yards away. In such cases, older folks like me who are also nearsighted, may have trouble focusing on the target and both the front and rear iron sights, all at the same time. A clear lens or holographic sight with an illuminated dot or cross seems to eliminate the problem.

Just wished someone made one that's smaller and perhaps more compact with an axis that's closer to the barrel like iron sights.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/25/15 07:58 PM

An Eotech will be as low as iron sights on an AR15. Not as low as iron sights on a deer rifle. The nice part about the Eotech is you don't have to be lined up perfectly. The holographic red dot just has to be on the target and you can pull the trigger.
Have you tried fiber optic sights that replace the iron sights? Sounds a little like what you are wanting.
Posted By: rentzington

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/25/15 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch
An Eotech will be as low as iron sights on an AR15. Not as low as iron sights on a deer rifle. The nice part about the Eotech is you don't have to be lined up perfectly. The holographic red dot just has to be on the target and you can pull the trigger.
Have you tried fiber optic sights that replace the iron sights? Sounds a little like what you are wanting.

one issue i had with the eotech is the way that red circle is displayed messes with my vision. I've been told others with glasses and stigmatisms have problems.

key is finding a good red dot that you can see easily, which even a cheaper primary arms one can be good.

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/25/15 08:16 PM

One of the cheaper ones is what I have on my Windham SRC now. It's where I discovered the improvement in short range views over iron sights.

I have a 30-30 that I want to use for hunting in thick woods, and to dispatch an occasional armadillo or other nuisance animal. I'm looking at something that's best suited for shots from 5 to 50 yards.

Unlike I could as a younger guy, I can no longer get clear focus on both the front and rear iron sights while seeing the distant target clearly. But of course, once I take my glasses off, I can see both iron sights clearly.

Yes, it's hell to get old. But thankfully, I'm not yet taking little pink pills.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/25/15 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: rentzington
Originally Posted By: Toxarch

one issue i had with the eotech is the way that red circle is displayed messes with my vision. I've been told others with glasses and stigmatisms have problems.

key is finding a good red dot that you can see easily, which even a cheaper primary arms one can be good.

I had exact same issue with EoTech. Aimpoints are the tops when it comes to red dots, but they're also very expensive. Of course you normally get what you pay for and I miss my T1 I had. Never turned it off the batteries last 50K+ hours always on. I now see that Primary Arms has come out with a new micro dot that has push button on/off and last on one battery for 50k+ hours. Might have to try me one.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/25/15 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Yes, it's hell to get old. But thankfully, I'm not yet taking little pink pills.

I think the blue ones might be a greater worry. bolt
Posted By: Cajun_in_Texas

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/26/15 12:52 AM

Hey Dan

I would suggest looking at the red dot sights from Primary Arms down in Pearland.
Very good pricing and they get good reviews.

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/26/15 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Cajun_in_Texas
Hey Dan

I would suggest looking at the red dot sights from Primary Arms down in Pearland.
Very good pricing and they get good reviews.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback.
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/26/15 12:32 PM

Try a micro red dot like they use on comp pistols.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/26/15 02:24 PM

This is a Model 94AE with a Burris FastFire II. As you can see, it sets a little high, for my taste anyway. It does work tho. I have the same problem with the eyes. A standard top eject 94 mounts a lot cleaner than this one. Anyway, you get the idea. The Fastfire can be had for about $200 or so. Battery life isn't great but its manageable.
Posted By: huntandfish

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/26/15 02:55 PM

Leupold makes a micro dot also, ive used on a few .44 magnumpistols. It called delta point and can be had for 300 online! Lifetime warranty also.

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/26/15 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie

This is a Model 94AE with a Burris FastFire II. As you can see, it sets a little high, for my taste anyway. It does work tho. I have the same problem with the eyes. A standard top eject 94 mounts a lot cleaner than this one. Anyway, you get the idea. The Fastfire can be had for about $200 or so. Battery life isn't great but its manageable.

This is exactly the plan I have in mind. In fact, I went out last night and picked up a cheap red dot sight and base and stuck it on my 30-30, just to see how well the setup might work. After all, these sights are far more common on AR's than the traditional deer rifle. And to be honest, they do appear a little awkward.

Still, I feel as if I may be a little late on what others have quietly figured out already. It's a great setup for getting off quick shots at a target that can be easily seen without a scope.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/26/15 06:04 PM

a red dot on a lever action is awesome..
Posted By: Rockfish Dave

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/26/15 06:16 PM

I bought this for my daughters first rifle:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leatherwood-hi-lux-micro-max-b-dot-20mm-digital-2-moa-dot-sight.html

From the description:

Features of Leatherwood Micro-Max B-Dot Electronic Sight:

Night Vision compatible
Rugged machined aluminum housing
Comes with a solid, low-profile mount
Easily attachable to any Weaver-style one-piece base or MIL-STD 1913 Picatinny rail
Torx Star Head Screw and clamp included
Single battery powers upwards of 55,000 hours, totaling to 6.2 years
Compatible with most handguns, rifles, muzzleloaders, and shotguns
Flip-up lens covers
Kill flash filter
Battery compartment can store one extra CR2032 battery
12-setting digital switch on the top of the sight

Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/27/15 02:05 AM

I'm partial to a 1-4x.

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/30/15 12:35 PM

Got the chance to try out the cheap one yesterday and was very impressed with the overall effectiveness and ease of use. The 50 yard range was full of AR shooters, so I moved down to the 100 yard range just to see how well I could do. The outcome was no less than what I normally achieve with a scoped rifle.

Now I really do want a better one with better optics and other enhancements, like an easy push button switch, and auto turn off.

These sights are great for quick and effective kills at shorter ranges. No question I'll be grabbing the little 30-30 more often next season.

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/30/15 05:58 PM

Check out this torture test AK Operators Union did on the Primary Arms MD-ADS. They even cracked the lenses on the thing and it still held zero and functioned properly.

Posted By: sneakyfletch

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/31/15 04:22 AM

Na thats fake cant believe you fell for that
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/31/15 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
In such cases, older folks like me who are also nearsighted, may have trouble focusing on the target and both the front and rear iron sights, all at the same time.

This is the problem... no one can focus on three items at different distances all at the same time.. Not even the young folks.

You focus on the front sight. Both the target and the rear sight will be blurry. Now, you may find that you are unable to focus on the front sight and need a prescription to help with focusing at that distance. I had to talk to my eye doc and get set up specifically for that.

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/31/15 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: sneakyfletch
Na thats fake cant believe you fell for that

Please show me where this is fake..

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/31/15 01:38 PM

Oh im sorry just assumed this was fake because i wasnt there in person kinda like you do

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/31/15 01:50 PM

Oh im sorry just assumed this was fake because i wasnt there in person kinda like you do

Lol really... You're going to troll me now because you're making ridiculous record breaking claims of which you have no video or pictures of, and we called you out on it? This is pretty solid evidence that they drug this optic behind a truck and cracked the screen, but the red dot still functioned and not only functioned still held zero. Now maybe had you taken video of your shots or maybe even pictures for that matter people might believe your story.

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/31/15 02:06 PM

Thats funny i cant take someyone serious that paid for shooting lessons but throws his two cents in about something you have no clue about.i have read your previous post way back when you were so excited you shot 800 yard steel thats embarrassing .you know so much but so little.oh and i thought thats what we do on here call people out just trying to fit in.oh you liking dishing out but not taking it

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/31/15 02:19 PM

Lol, you can't take me serious because I took shooting lessons? You can't take me seriously because I paid for lessons to try and better myself? How is shooting 800 yard steel embarrassing? A lot of shooters don't shoot past 200-300 yards. I'd also say that with a 16" 308 gas gun 800 yards is a pretty decent accomplishment considering a 308 running 2500FPS is almost sub sonic at 1000 yards and even with a 20MOA base you're still almost running out of elevation to dial. I've never really actually commented or threw my 2cents in on long range post. I leave that to the others that shoot it, now if you're talking about AR or gas gun topics then yes I know a pretty decent amount.

If you're referring to what I posted in your thread, it was an inside joke to Jason because he has been on me to change my 308 to a longer barreled 6.5CM, but I always tell him how good the short barreled 308.

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/31/15 08:37 PM

You two need to get a room! bolt

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 03/31/15 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: cyphertext
You two need to get a room! bolt

Lol I'm done with all that..

back

I just ordered one of the PA MD-ADS sights today from Joeboboutfitters.com already shipped. I need to send my LT745 back to Larue to get the speed levers installed and I'll be getting one of their Micro mounts for this optic. We'll see how well she does.

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 04/01/15 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal

I just ordered one of the PA MD-ADS sights today from Joeboboutfitters.com already shipped. I need to send my LT745 back to Larue to get the speed levers installed and I'll be getting one of their Micro mounts for this optic. We'll see how well she does.

Let me know what you think about that PA... from everything I have read, it sounds like a really solid optic, especially for the price. Poor man's Aimpoint.

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 04/01/15 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: cyphertext
Originally Posted By: KRoyal

Let me know what you think about that PA... from everything I have read, it sounds like a really solid optic, especially for the price. Poor man's Aimpoint.

Will do, there a bunch of torture test on youtube of it. Seems to pass with flying colors. The battery life claim is 50k hours on one batter always on the same as the T1/H1. It is still too new for anyone to have tested this aspect of it. I got rid of my Aimpoint T1 not to long ago to buy a 1-4x, but going to hot swap my 1-4x and 12x scope on my LR308 for hunting and long range so needed a red dot to go back on my SBR 223 so this fit the bill perfectly at a fraction of the cost as the Aimpoint, but still does everything the Aimpoint does just maybe not as durable, but I'm not going to war anytime soon so this should suffice.
Posted By: bobsumner

Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights - 04/01/15 01:33 PM

Thats funny i cant take someyone serious that paid for shooting lessons but throws his two cents in about something you have no clue about.i have read your previous post way back when you were so excited you shot 800 yard steel thats embarrassing .you know so much but so little.oh and i thought thats what we do on here call people out just trying to fit in.oh you liking dishing out but not taking it

So people who take training classes from those who do/have done have no knowledge to offer? Interesting hypothesis, you are learning, but keep your mouth shut, we like ignorant folks.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum