Texas Hunting Forum

Help with a gun question please

Posted By: thorn4570

Help with a gun question please - 03/15/15 09:24 PM

I am wondering why people cover serial numbers on guns or won't give serial numbers. I understand why someone covers a license plate on CL etc. but guns aren't registered. You can't run a gun like you can a tag. Somebody help me out cause I may be missing something.
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: Help with a gun question please - 03/15/15 09:48 PM

I have always wondered that myself especially if the gun was purchased legally through a licensed gun dealer. I suppose that if someone acquired the gun through a private purchase they might be afraid it could have been used in a crime or stolen and could be traced back to them. I would be interested in hearing what others have to say.
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Help with a gun question please - 03/16/15 01:58 PM

If the gun was purchased via private party and no documents exist (Bill of Sale) showing that you obtained the firearm legally, anyone who sees the picture could file a "Stolen Property" report with their local PD using that serial number, and claim the gun as theirs that they purchased through a private sale...

Not saying I am fearful of that, but it is a real possibility, however unlikely it may be...
Posted By: AP2714

Re: Help with a gun question please - 03/16/15 04:51 PM

Good info.
Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Help with a gun question please - 03/17/15 12:28 AM

Well Shooter I never thought of that. There are some bad people out there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum