Texas Hunting Forum

Bolt action pistols

Posted By: BigPig

Bolt action pistols - 03/03/15 01:56 AM

anybody on here have anything like this in 308 or 7-08, maybe 243?

I'm liking this, don't know why, but I like powerful pistols and enjoy hunting with them.
Posted By: 10ring

Re: Bolt action pistols - 03/03/15 02:05 AM

I messed with a Remington XP100 in 6mm for a few years. I realized my pistol shooting really stinks! So I traded the pistol off for a bench rest rifle, certainly more my speed. The guy I traded the pistol to can make hits out to 150 yds very consistently with it.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Bolt action pistols - 03/03/15 02:06 AM

I've never understood why the ATF says it's ok to have a bipod on a pistol but you can't have a forward grip lol.

I'd almost be afraid to shoot a bigger caliber in a pistol I've seen to many fails involving the 2 on YouTube for my liking lol.
Posted By: Harley7892

Re: Bolt action pistols - 03/03/15 02:13 AM

Do they make a holster for that??? Quick draw.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Bolt action pistols - 03/03/15 02:51 AM

I had an encore in 7-08. It was a fine shooter!

Re: Bolt action pistols - 03/03/15 04:30 AM

Been looking into these. Seems the easiest way to do this is find an action, get a barrel and cut down a stock to my liking. Now, where can I get a Savage, Tikka, or Remington left hand action? Prob going to have an aluminum chasis milled so I can have a comfortable trigger finger position and u singe an AR style grip. Idea is to keep it balanced, light somewhere around 4-5 pounds with optic. Thinking 12" barrel, threaded and a brake.

With the barrel length, what would be a good twist rate for the 243/ 7-08/ 308? Still haven't decided which to use
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Bolt action pistols - 03/03/15 04:44 AM

Some of the best hand cannons made:

http://wichitaarms.com/Products/pistols.asp

During the latter years of production the Remington XP-100 was built from a Model 7 action with a stock very much like the one in the OP. I preferred the original crazy looking grip. it balanced very well and one in 7mmBR was enough for deer hunting beyond where most need to be hunting with a handgun.

Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Bolt action pistols - 03/03/15 04:49 AM

Buddy of mine has one in 300 Wmag. If he ever decides to ask me to shoot it, I will decline 10 out of 10 times. To heck with that!
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Bolt action pistols - 03/03/15 04:56 AM

I have a Weatherby in 243. Shot a lot of game with it.
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Bolt action pistols - 03/03/15 04:59 AM

There is a Savage Striker action on gunbroker right now. Left hand.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Bolt action pistols - 03/03/15 11:29 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Been looking into these. Seems the easiest way to do this is find an action, get a barrel and cut down a stock to my liking. Now, where can I get a Savage, Tikka, or Remington left hand action? Prob going to have an aluminum chasis milled so I can have a comfortable trigger finger position and u singe an AR style grip. Idea is to keep it balanced, light somewhere around 4-5 pounds with optic. Thinking 12" barrel, threaded and a brake.

With the barrel length, what would be a good twist rate for the 243/ 7-08/ 308? Still haven't decided which to use

I'm curious about the laws on this though. Would you have to buy a virgin action in order to make a pistol out of it? Wasn't sure if it was the same as an AR pistol.

Re: Bolt action pistols - 03/03/15 12:59 PM

No idea on the vergin actions and the laws. I can buy a rifle, cut the barrel to 16 inches and as long as the OAL is greater then 26 inches it's still considered a rifle. If I cut the barrel to 12 I then have to get a SBR stamp. Might be looking into a 6.8 also for the short barrel
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum