Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone do their own cerakote job ?

Posted By: TheOilman

Anyone do their own cerakote job ? - 03/02/15 04:48 AM

I'm thinking of trying to do some cerakote on a few pistols and have a few questions. Do you have to sand blast? My first project is just going to be the barrel , take down lever , slide release, and grip safety on my xdm 5.25. I'm thinking since the parts are anodized I can get away with out sand blasting on these parts but looking for input. Also on the barrel do you cerakote the breach end of the barrel at all? I know you wouldn't want to do the feed ramp but don't see how the sides of the chamber would hurt . Thanks for info
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Anyone do their own cerakote job ? - 03/02/15 05:10 AM

I haven't done cerakote, but I have done duracoat, and it's not difficult at all. Everything I have done has been very durable.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Anyone do their own cerakote job ? - 03/02/15 06:57 AM

I would follow the prescribed directions to get the most out of the ceraKote

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resources/files/Cerakote-Training-Manual-Web.pdf

I don't paint the barrel, but I have seen folks do it. Doesn't hurt anything to paint the chamber. If you apply cerakote or dura coat correctly, it goes on very thin and doesn't hurt the operation of mechanical parts. However, if you apply too many coats or spray it on too thick, you can get functional problems from the build up. Best to practice on screws and bolts. Once you get it down, move over to the firearm.
Posted By: TheOilman

Re: Anyone do their own cerakote job ? - 03/07/15 07:20 AM

Still looking for info thanks.
Posted By: epp838

Re: Anyone do their own cerakote job ? - 03/07/15 02:27 PM

I used duracoat on my JP .308, it came out awesome and has been very durable so far. I did it over a year ago and shoot several times a month. Like with any good paint jobs preparation is the key
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum