Texas Hunting Forum

Introducing... CURTIS ACTION

Posted By: CHASE CURTIS

Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 01:31 AM

This has been a really long road... if you are a member over on Long Range hunting you have probably seen this throughout the process... it has taken the better part of 3 years to get to this point.

My business partner, Joel Russo and I are very excited to be bringing this line of actions to market.

This is a 3 lug action. It has a 60* bolt throw. The lift of the bolt is no more than your standard R700. cocking piece contains a roller ball for extra smooth lift.

M16 Extractor

Integrated Rail and Lug (20 moa rail)

This is a true R700 footprint... it will drop in a stock inleted for a 700 action.

Below is one of the prototypes.. so bear with us.. it has some scars marks and tattoos. The Bolt knob is threaded and we will offer several options. We will be making some more minor cosmetic changes....

This is the Curtis Vector. It will be available in Short and Long... Single shot and BDL/AI as well as AW.

Also have on the drawing board a dedicated Lapua action as well as 408 Cheytac based. All actions will have corresponding bottom metal and mags. One of the Mags we have coming to market is a 3rd detachable mag that will fit where AI mags are accepted. SO, you can go from the PRS match to the stand... now you have a flush 3rd detach mag in lieu of the BDL system.

Posted By: NewJeep

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 01:34 AM

Very nice! Any ideas in what retail will be when they are made available?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: NewJeep
Very nice! Any ideas in what retail will be when they are made available?

^^This^^

I've got this hankerin for a 338 Norma Mag build and this would be a fine action for the project!

Looks very nice, and reads like it has very nice features. up
Posted By: dee

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 02:33 AM

Looks and sounds awesome.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: dee
Looks and sounds awesome.

X2
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 03:11 AM

Looks really good!! The rail is milled in as part of the action, correct? I don't see screw holes, so it looks like it is.

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Looks really good!! The rail is milled in as part of the action, correct? I don't see screw holes, so it looks like it is.

Yes, the rail is attached about half way through the milling process of the action body. Then final milling is done as one unit as to ensure perfect tolerances after heat treat. We did this to be able to change MOA cant of the rail with ease.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 03:23 AM

Looks great with nice lines. My only dislike is the integrated rail, while I like the idea, I don't like slots not being solid across. It's partbof my OCD and has nothing to do with performance. Would there be an option for it to be solid? I've got the itch for a 300WM build

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 03:25 AM

The Short actions should be available in about two months...

We have NOT locked in retail pricing yet... but it will be market competitive.

Once you get used to cycling that 3 lug with the short bolt throw... it feels funny going back to the 90*... it will spoil you.. lol.

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Looks great with nice lines. My only dislike is the integrated rail, while I like the idea, I don't like slots not being solid across. It's partbof my OCD and has nothing to do with performance. Would there be an option for it to be solid? I've got the itch for a 300WM build

LOL, the slots bother you that bad huh? Ill tell ya what... your in Forney? When we have the long actions done Ill meet up with you one day and let you cycle and feel the action... maybe the slots won't appear so bad at that point. up
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: CHASE CURTIS
The Short actions should be available in about two months...

We have NOT locked in retail pricing yet... but it will be market competitive.

Once you get used to cycling that 3 lug with the short bolt throw... it feels funny going back to the 90*... it will spoil you.. lol.

Like the looks of the action and 3 lugs are better than 2 IMO
Posted By: Wildhorse

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 03:54 AM

Very nice. I'm considering a custom build sometime in the future and like to spend money locally when I can. I'm tagging this for interst to keep track of your progress.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 04:04 AM

LOL, the slots bother you that bad huh? Ill tell ya what... your in Forney? When we have the long actions done Ill meet up with you one day and let you cycle and feel the action... maybe the slots won't appear so bad at that point. up

Confidence right there boys and girls! I like it!

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Bullfrog

Confidence right there boys and girls! I like it!

roflmao up blush

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Wildhorse
Very nice. I'm considering a custom build sometime in the future and like to spend money locally when I can. I'm tagging this for interst to keep track of your progress.

Awesome! Thank you
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 05:08 AM

He's just mad because he has a Savage

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

He's just mad because he has a Savage

roflmao stir roflmao
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 12:43 PM

Hard to tell, is the bolt handle brazed on like the R700's or dovetail like Tikka?

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 01:16 PM

What's up with you cops so concerned with cosmetics. After breifing in the morning do yall check each other's make up?

Get one of thes actions and I'll TIG weld up all the slots you don't need. Freakin girl....

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

What's up with you cops so concerned with cosmetics. After breifing in the morning do yall check each other's make up?

Get one of thes actions and I'll TIG weld up all the slots you don't need. Freakin girl....

If I'm going to drop that kind of coin I want it to look good. Same with the wife, you spend a lot on her right? So you want her to look good.

Don't make me post that pic again stir

BIL, you're just jealous because you can't have such a quality factory rifle

Chase- I'll take you up on that offer
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 03:01 PM

Any plans for us lefties?
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 03:01 PM

Looks GREAT! up
Posted By: TDK

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 03:42 PM

Is it broached or EDM cut?

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/02/15 06:49 PM

The Raceways are EDM cut

The bolt handle is pressed on into "bosses" that are machined into the bolt body... then tig welded and machined from there... ITS NOT COMING OFF!

We will do a run of left hand actions...

Here is a video of the action cycling... its smooth and fast with the 3 lug design!

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/04/15 07:58 PM

what do you guys think of this shroud? This is just an example... just playing with it... we would obviously clean it up a lot...

Posted By: NewJeep

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/04/15 07:59 PM

I like it better since it matches the bolt body

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/04/15 08:06 PM

If it'll save you some machining time, I could do without it. Not saying it looks bad, just thinking long term in your business endeavor.

Course it could be an "upgrade" part.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/04/15 10:01 PM

pinned recoil lug?

I'm with Big Pig, its gotta have soul and look great !!!

It's good to have another action builder out there building their own from scratch , not having another builder carve their name on it. Nothing wrong with it but you know.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/04/15 10:04 PM

what do you guys think of this shroud? This is just an example... just playing with it... we would obviously clean it up a lot...

I like the faceted one better, just my opinion...

make sure we can all get one before they go for sale, not a year wait

Will you build these Curtis actions for other vendors with their name on them or will it remain just you and JOE??
Posted By: 30378

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/04/15 10:39 PM

Very nice but please consider an option for a zero degree rail, specially on the short actions.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/04/15 11:19 PM

Pass on the fluted shroud, jmo

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 12:23 AM

Integrated recoil lug.

We have no plans of offering these as "private label" actions to other vendors at this point....

We will offer a 0 moa rail...

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 01:20 AM

Have you got the ability to build in a 30 MOA rail for the 338 LM action?

If I'm gonna build a 338 Norma Mag, I'm gonna push it to 2000 yards, then see how much farther I can push it. Off to west Texas I go bolt

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 01:25 AM

If I'm gonna build a 338 Norma Mag, I'm gonna push it to 2000 yards, then see how much farther I can push it. Off to west Texas I go bolt

Yes, our Lapua and Cheytac based receivers will have 30+ moa rails....

Also our Lapua action... Will be made to feed 4.0+ COAL. Both the Lapua and Cheytac receivers with come with proprietary mags and bottom metal.

Skip the Norma mag and go all out.... 338-408! banana
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 01:30 AM

I prefer the original shroud too.

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 01:43 AM

Also our Lapua action... Will be made to feed 4.0+ COAL. Both the Lapua and Cheytac receivers with come with proprietary mags and bottom metal.

Hmmmm. Wonder how much is costs to feed the beast, and how hard is it to form brass?

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 01:55 AM

Around 140 gr of powder... Brass isn't too bad... Like necking down anything else. 300gr projo at 3200fps... up

Thanks for the feedback guys!!!

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 02:03 AM

Who's it gonna be! Who will be the first on this site to have one? I say let FiremanJG demo one and post a full report, then he gets to keep it. bolt

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Bullfrog
Who's it gonna be! Who will be the first on this site to have one? I say let FiremanJG demo one and post a full report, then he gets to keep it. bolt

roflmao

Hell, Jason already ordered 5.... Surely he can write a review of them... stir

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 02:25 AM

Uh oh! eek2 I dont think I was drinking anything but water when we were in the PM conversation! I thought I said one big action.

I might do some things to the action that may make some folks cringe, but I will test it, and I will post a review in multiple places, including right here.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 02:48 AM

I actually like the fluted shroud!

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 02:57 AM

The fluted shroud is cool... But since you asked grin I think the shroud in the first pic looks better because it flows better with the body of the action. It is all about looks sir grin

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 03:03 AM

It is all about looks sir grin

Im with ya! up

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 03:39 AM

Sorry Jason, I tried. up
Posted By: preston629

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 01:24 PM

Tagged for later.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 03/05/15 04:30 PM

coolpics
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 05/27/15 01:38 PM

+1 for the Fluted shroud, the other looks like a surgeon bolt shroud.....
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 05/27/15 02:40 PM

Hmmmm. Wonder how much is costs to feed the beast, and how hard is it to form brass?

did fireman just say something indicating worry about COST OF A SHOOTING ITEM... somebody right this down, we may have found a limit to his passion lol
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 05/27/15 02:47 PM

I like the fluted shroud because it saves weight. Maybe you could offer both, one for hunting, the other for the range/competition.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 05/27/15 03:02 PM

I got distracted by the fireman comment...

I really like the look of this action. the 60 degree bolt is a really nice feature imo....
Posted By: J McCoy

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 05/27/15 07:10 PM

+1 For Southpaw

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 05/28/15 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: catslayer

did fireman just say something indicating worry about COST OF A SHOOTING ITEM... somebody right this down, we may have found a limit to his passion lol

roflmao
Posted By: TGreen

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 05/28/15 02:43 PM

That is a sweet action.
Posted By: Kemo-Guacamole

Re: Introducing... CURTIS ACTION - 05/29/15 01:38 PM

sweet, man make sure you keep this posted.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum