Texas Hunting Forum

Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays

Posted By: Wesomac

Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/01/15 03:09 PM

I am looking for advice on a shotgun for my son. He is 11 years old and wanting to start shooting skeet/sporting clays/trap. Anybody got any suggestions?
Posted By: SR025

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/01/15 03:17 PM

20 gauge Benelli M2
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/01/15 03:23 PM

Buy something he can swap between youth and adult stocks on and grow into it and continue shooting it when he grows.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/01/15 04:18 PM

One that fits.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/01/15 04:23 PM

Benelli sells a Montefeltro that comes with a youth stock and an adult stock.
Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/01/15 04:31 PM

Check out SKB IS300 target youth.
They have a new RS300 that he can grow with.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/01/15 05:27 PM

Beretta 390 20ga cut to fit. My. Etter half has one with a 26" barrel and spacers in the stock.
Posted By: Wesomac

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/06/15 03:05 AM

Don't want to spend a bunch of money for a sport he may or may not stick with. Anybody got any ideas for an entry level youth shotgun?
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/06/15 03:15 AM

My son is ten. I took one of my older 1100's (20ga) and put a youth stock on it. It's gas operated so recoil is about as good as it gets.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/06/15 03:24 AM

Not entry level : Benelli Super Sport
But you can take over if he doesn't follow thru

Little recoil. , smooth, light
Posted By: TDK

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/06/15 03:34 AM

Weatherby SA-08 20ga if you want inexpensive but good.
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/06/15 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Wesomac
Don't want to spend a bunch of money for a sport he may or may not stick with. Anybody got any ideas for an entry level youth shotgun?

Problem is, you go cheap and get something that doesn't fit or has harsh recoil, I guarantee he will quit. A used youth gas gun is quite hard to find, and when you do find them, they are typically real close to new price. Buy a quality gun and if he doesn't stick with it, you can sell it and get most of your money back.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/06/15 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: cyphertext
Problem is, you go cheap and get something that doesn't fit or has harsh recoil, I guarantee he will quit.
I understand what you're saying, but I will offer a different perspective...most kids can't tell the difference between a high quality piece and an entry-level gun. The refinements are going to be more appreciated by someone who is experienced. I would think either is sufficient for a middle-schooler getting into the sport.

Besides, what does he have to look forward in life if he's an 11 year-old with a Benelli Montefeltro? smile
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/06/15 02:56 PM

This is what I would get, Yildiz youth 20 ga semi:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/yildiz-a...3179+4294958154

Or a youth 20 ga O/U (I have one of the full size models and like it pretty well):
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/yildiz-y...3179+4294958154

Pretty good quality at a great price.

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/06/15 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Problem is, you go cheap and get something that doesn't fit or has harsh recoil, I guarantee he will quit.
I understand what you're saying, but I will offer a different perspective...most kids can't tell the difference between a high quality piece and an entry-level gun. The refinements are going to be more appreciated by someone who is experienced. I would think either is sufficient for a middle-schooler getting into the sport.

Besides, what does he have to look forward in life if he's an 11 year-old with a Benelli Montefeltro? smile

Patriot, I think we have to define "cheap"... I agree, my son wouldn't get a Montefeltro, as I don't have one! But most of the time that I talk to fathers who are looking for a shotgun for their child, they are looking for a reliable, soft shooting gas gun for about $300...

If the budget is around $600, the Weatherby can be had, and it gets good reviews. I bought my son a Beretta A300... but it is 12 ga., and he was a little older when we purchased it.
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/06/15 03:34 PM

But a kid sure can tell the difference between a 20 ga youth model 1100 and a 20 ga single shot Rossi when he pulls the trigger and it slams into his shoulder.

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/06/15 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: VAFish

But a kid sure can tell the difference between a 20 ga youth model 1100 and a 20 ga single shot Rossi when he pulls the trigger and it slams into his shoulder.

This is where I was going with it... If you get a youth 1100 and he doesn't stick with it, sell it and get your money back. If you buy a Yildiz 20 gauge and he quits, you aren't going to recoup the cost of the gun.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/06/15 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: VAFish

This is where I was going with it... If you get a youth 1100 and he doesn't stick with it, sell it and get your money back. If you buy a Yildiz 20 gauge and he quits, you aren't going to recoup the cost of the gun.
Alright, we're all on the same page now. cheers
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Shotgun for 11 year shooting sporting clays - 03/07/15 04:03 PM

Older Beretta AL-2's can be had for around $4-500 with some searching on the internet. They are good starter guns and very reliable. You can cut down the stock if its too long. Food for thought. 12 gauge loads can be had in 7/8 and 1 oz load, making it shoot like a 20 ga.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum