Texas Hunting Forum

Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!!

Posted By: ltsheets

Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 12:35 AM

First off, I know there's really not a bad choice here, but I'm torn...

I have a chance to buy a Kimber Montana at a very good price and I'd rather not wait on the time it would take to order one that's not currently in stock ready to ship. The available cartridges are 30-06, 25-06, and 280AI. The reloader in me wants the 280AI for all around versatility. My conservative side wants the 30-06 due to component availability and who easy factory ammo is to find in the event that I needed it. The realistic side of me wants the 25-06 due to decent factory ammo availability and plenty of components. Also, this would be the most comfortable of all the cartridges to shoot for practice. This rifle will be for backcountry hunts where weight savings is very important along with sheep type hunts in tough terrain. It would be rare that I would hunt anything bigger than mule deer or barbary sheep with the rifle though I could see it going on an Elk hunt if I ever did a wilderness area hunt. I would limit my shots to nothing over 500yds due to the how lightweight the rifle will be ( <7lbs w/ scope). I'm going to make my decision either tomorrow or Thurs so I don't miss out on one of the available rifles. Just wanted to see what you guys have to say and please keep the discussion between these 3 cartridges. Thanks!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 12:54 AM

280 A.I
30-06
25-06

In that order.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 12:57 AM

Will this be your primary firearm or will it compete with others. If it is your only firearm I would go with the 30-06, not really anything in North America that it handle should the opportunity become available. For your average hunt I don't believe you will find that much weight difference. I mean, how many cartridges are you going to carry. The 30-06 is a more classic round than the other two. JMHO
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 01:15 AM

Of those 3 280AI

But I tend to pick the less common rounds and have since my first rifle purchase.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 01:19 AM

Id probably say 30-06. You never know, a day may come when you get all the way to Colorado or Montana and forget your reloads. You can get a box of core-locts anywhere. 25-06 is easy to find too, but 30-06 is everywhere. Plus, I know the elk hunt my dad went on requires a minimum of a .30cal rifle.

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Plus, I know the elk hunt my dad went on requires a minimum of a .30cal rifle.

loco

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 01:31 AM

I thought it seemed odd too. Wasn't sure how common that was though.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
280 A.I
30-06
25-06

In that order.

Agree ^^^

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 01:40 AM

I don't know. So would that guide say I would be better served to bring my .30-30, or a .308 Win, than my 7 Rem Mag? loco
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 01:42 AM

The .280 AI just has an awful lot going for it in terms of performance, and it outstrips the other choices in cool factor by a mile. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three, though.

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 01:49 AM

I don't know. So would that guide say I would be better served to bring my .30-30, or a .308 Win, than my 7 Rem Mag? loco

I guess so. Dads boss built him a custom .308 on a stiller action for the hunt because he didn't have a .30 cal rifle. Just a 25-06

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 01:55 AM

It's not my only hunting rifle. I have an all weather 300wsm that's a lot heavier but still packable for all but the most rigorous hunts. I also have a lightweight Hill Country .270win but that's the wife's rifle if we are hunting together. I have more, but those are the only all weather rifles I have so far.

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Will this be your primary firearm or will it compete with others. If it is your only firearm I would go with the 30-06, not really anything in North America that it handle should the opportunity become available. For your average hunt I don't believe you will find that much weight difference. I mean, how many cartridges are you going to carry. The 30-06 is a more classic round than the other two. JMHO
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 01:55 AM

1. 30-06
2. 30-06
3 30-06

Just my opinion

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 01:56 AM

Thanks guys...didn't realize the 280AI would be the clear recommendation.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: JRJ6
280 A.I
30-06
25-06

In that order.

Agree ^^^
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 03:17 AM

280AI IMO is THE ONLY CHOICE...and is every bit the do all the 30'06 is ....especailly since you already got a 300WSM if I recall....and blows away the Quarterbore 120's x 120's to ????
Ron
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
280 A.I
30-06
25-06

In that order.

Agree ^^^

I gotta run out and buy a lottery ticket because if FJG and NP can agree than anything can happen. bolt
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Hirogen
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
280 A.I
30-06
25-06

In that order.

Agree ^^^

I gotta run out and buy a lottery ticket because if FJG and NP can agree than anything can happen. bolt

grin
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 03:54 AM

I'd want that 280 A.I. As well. The good thing is I've heard a lot of reports on those guns being finicky, so may have to reload for whatever you get regardless.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 01:28 PM

I would get the best muzzle brake money can buy
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 01:57 PM

loco

Never heard of that either. Given the choice, would you choose a .308 Win or .300 Savage or .30-30 over, say, a 7mm RM for elk medicine? Les Bowman, the early designer of what would become the 7mm RM, was a longtime Wyoming elk outfitter who guided many notable hunters, including Jack O'Connor. Obviously, he knew a good elk round when he saw it, and he liked (and promoted) the big sevens. I'm betting some teenage assistant guide or wrangler made that comment to dad without thinking it through.

Regarding the OP's question, I would also choose the .280 AI. The first Jarrett Rifle I ever saw was on a Stone sheep hunt in B.C. where another hunter showed up with one chambered in .280 AI. It was light and beautifully balanced, the antithesis of the more common Jarrett Beanfield rifle. The guy got his sheep too.

The nice thing about all the AI rounds is that P.O. Ackley designed them to accept and shoot the parent round. Thus, in a pinch, a guy could shoot factory .280 Rem in his AI gun, no small advantage there.

Lastly, never ever, ever ruin the clean lines of a Montana rifle with a dreadful brake! Never!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: ltsheets
First off, I know there's really not a bad choice here, but I'm torn...

I have a chance to buy a Kimber Montana at a very good price and I'd rather not wait on the time it would take to order one that's not currently in stock ready to ship. The available cartridges are 30-06, 25-06, and 280AI. The reloader in me wants the 280AI for all around versatility. My conservative side wants the 30-06 due to component availability and who easy factory ammo is to find in the event that I needed it. The realistic side of me wants the 25-06 due to decent factory ammo availability and plenty of components. Also, this would be the most comfortable of all the cartridges to shoot for practice. This rifle will be for backcountry hunts where weight savings is very important along with sheep type hunts in tough terrain. It would be rare that I would hunt anything bigger than mule deer or barbary sheep with the rifle though I could see it going on an Elk hunt if I ever did a wilderness area hunt. I would limit my shots to nothing over 500yds due to the how lightweight the rifle will be ( <7lbs w/ scope). I'm going to make my decision either tomorrow or Thurs so I don't miss out on one of the available rifles. Just wanted to see what you guys have to say and please keep the discussion between these 3 cartridges. Thanks!

280ai
25-06( don't think I would push it over 300 yards though)
30-06
In that order IMO

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: dawaba

loco

Never heard of that either. Given the choice, would you choose a .308 Win or .300 Savage or .30-30 over, say, a 7mm RM for elk medicine? Les Bowman, the early designer of what would become the 7mm RM, was a longtime Wyoming elk outfitter who guided many notable hunters, including Jack O'Connor. Obviously, he knew a good elk round when he saw it, and he liked (and promoted) the big sevens. I'm betting some teenage assistant guide or wrangler made that comment to dad without thinking it through.

Regarding the OP's question, I would also choose the .280 AI. The first Jarrett Rifle I ever saw was on a Stone sheep hunt in B.C. where another hunter showed up with one chambered in .280 AI. It was light and beautifully balanced, the antithesis of the more common Jarrett Beanfield rifle. The guy got his sheep too.

The nice thing about all the AI rounds is that P.O. Ackley designed them to accept and shoot the parent round. Thus, in a pinch, a guy could shoot factory .280 Rem in his AI gun, no small advantage there.

Lastly, never ever, ever ruin the clean lines of a Montana rifle with a dreadful brake! Never!

Lots of good info there. And I didn't know that about the AI chamberings. That's cool. Learn something new every day.
Posted By: JThoele

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 07:00 PM

The .30/06 wouldn't even be given a second thought by me...
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 07:35 PM

A couple other advantages of the Ackley Improved rounds is less case trimming, the cases do not stretch as much as tapered cases with more slopping shoulders and less bolt thrust the less slopped case does not wedge back against the bolt as much when being fired.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed!! - 02/26/15 08:25 PM

Id do 280AI or 30-06. never cared for 25-06. If I'm going own a 1/4 bore its going be a wby.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum