Texas Hunting Forum

Talk me out of

Posted By: HuskerinAggieland

Talk me out of - 02/25/15 05:39 PM

Buying a 20 ga over under. I only have 1 20 gauge (1100) that my wife shoots. Everything else is in 12 ga. Now I am considering a 20 gauge o/u for skeet, dove, and duck (at least teal season). So pros/cons? I have shot my kids' 12 gauge o/u and like them- just looking for lighter gun/less recoil and that way wife and I can share shells. A year ago I would have opted for 12 gauge just to consolidate my ammo stocks.
Thoughts?
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Talk me out of - 02/25/15 06:00 PM

Id much rather shoot a 20ga than a 12ga. If I had found a good deal on a 20 before I bought my 12ga, I would have bought it. I think for dove and quail hunting, as well as busting clays, the difference won't be much. It's a little less shot, sure. But I doubt you notice too many more misses than now. I'm not sure about duck loads for the 20ga. Never been a duck hunter.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Talk me out of - 02/25/15 06:18 PM

I can't talk you out of it.

I'd rather have a 20 ga. now. I've always had 12's but I do have a couple of 20 ga. pump shotguns. I'd love to get my hands on a decent 20 ga. SxS.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Talk me out of - 02/25/15 06:23 PM

I've got a 20 gauge side by side that's my favorite shotgun for shooting purposes. My granddad's old pump 12 gauge is my favorite for sentimental purposes.

Paid $200 for the side by side 20 gauge (sears & roebuck branded) at the LGS about 5 years ago.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Talk me out of - 02/25/15 06:24 PM

The only reason I can come up with to talk someone out of buying s gun is that I might think the idea of that individual owning a gun is just scary. I think you're playing reverse psychology here. Buy it!
up
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Talk me out of - 02/25/15 06:31 PM

Only if you were going to buy a cheap O/U.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Talk me out of - 02/25/15 07:01 PM

Uh, wife will like it and then you will have to buy another? Other than having to buy two of them go for it.

Re: Talk me out of - 02/25/15 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Uh, wife will like it and then you will have to buy another? Other than having to buy two of them go for it.

Yep- that is kinda what I am thinking!

Re: Talk me out of - 02/25/15 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight

What would a cheap O/U be?
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Talk me out of - 02/25/15 09:23 PM

I've got a "cheap" Baikal O/U and a Remington 1100. Both are 12 gauge and I use the O/U a lot more than the 1100. Love the gun and wouldn't ever get rid of it. If I miss a dove twice, a third round is just throwing ammo away.

Re: Talk me out of - 02/25/15 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: HuskerinAggieland
Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight

What would a cheap O/U be?

Yildiz from academy. good shotguns for the money.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Talk me out of - 02/25/15 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch
I've got a "cheap" Baikal O/U and a Remington 1100. Both are 12 gauge and I use the O/U a lot more than the 1100. Love the gun and wouldn't ever get rid of it. If I miss a dove twice, a third round is just throwing ammo away.
I have a Remington Spartan SxS 12 ga. (Baikal) that's a wonderful shotgun, built like a tank. I'd love to get one in 20 ga.
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Talk me out of - 02/25/15 11:19 PM

X2 on the 20ga yildz
Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Re: Talk me out of - 02/25/15 11:59 PM

If all you're looking at it for is skeet or dove, then go for it. I bought a Citori Lightning Feather O/U some years back and opted for 12 gauge just because as expensive as it was, I didn't want to be limited to certain types of shooting/hunting.

Re: Talk me out of - 02/26/15 02:27 AM

Checked out a few tonight at Academy and Gander. Did not like the Yldiz or Berretta. Browning citori was nice but 1900 seems a bit steep for right now.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Talk me out of - 02/26/15 03:45 PM

Can't do it. Love my Browning Citori 20 ga. It sits in the closet right next to a Browning A-5 12 ga and I almost always grab the Citori. If I'm after duck and think I need a little extra I just drop in a 3" mag.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Talk me out of - 02/26/15 04:03 PM

What ever you get, get it fitted
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Talk me out of - 02/26/15 04:14 PM

Cheap O/U shotguns are just fine.

But, if you are going in that direction, my advice is to not handle an expensive O/U. This goes double for a 20 gauge. I am being a little facetious but not much.

I love the 20 gauge (in fact, I love the 28 gauge even more). So much so, I will never carry a 12 gauge again on any upland hunt - and that would include pheasants if I ever go. smile

The 12 gauge is for turkeys, geese, ducks only for me.

Re: Talk me out of - 02/26/15 04:50 PM

Checked out a few tonight at Academy and Gander. Did not like the Yldiz or Berretta. Browning citori was nice but 1900 seems a bit steep for right now.

If that's even in the ballpark of what you are looking at spending, I agree the yildiz isn't even going to come close. But for the money, they are a solid shotgun.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Talk me out of - 02/26/15 06:19 PM

It's very difficult to find a good, used 20 in an O/U (or Semi) and the new ones are pricey...Go with the inexpensive 20 and get some Briley Side-Kicks to drop in and play with 28 and .410.

P_102
Posted By: JThoele

Re: Talk me out of - 02/26/15 06:56 PM

^ not with a little luck.

Earlier this month I bought a mint condition Ruger red label O/U 20g, the older model with the red pad, at an estate sale for $375!

Re: Talk me out of - 02/26/15 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

If that's even in the ballpark of what you are looking at spending, I agree the yildiz isn't even going to come close. But for the money, they are a solid shotgun.

Was hoping to stay under a grand, but wanted to see how everything felt. I expected to be "wow'ed" by the higher end but wasn't thrilled with them. Like the CZ at around a grand (forget which grade) and the franchi instinct at under a grand. Those two felt the best tome.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Talk me out of - 02/26/15 08:58 PM

Try a Ruger Red Label.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Talk me out of - 02/26/15 10:10 PM

A little closer to what you want to spend would be the Franchi. I've not shot one of their O/U's but
their semi auto's are very nice and very light.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum