Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for stock re-finishing suggestions

Posted By: Tundra Trapper

Looking for stock re-finishing suggestions - 02/23/15 04:31 AM

Hey guys, I'm looking to have the wood stock re-finished on my trapping rifle and I need a durable coat that won't rub off in one season. This rifle sits in a gun scabbard 99% of the time on my snowmachine doing 50 to 150 miles a weekend. The temps range from 70 above in the truck to 30 below and it's exposed to snow and wet weather through the whole season. I've got a couple rifles that have been hydro-dipped and they do pretty good up here, but they don't go through what my trapline rifle does. Do you think it would hold up? So any suggestions?
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: Looking for stock re-finishing suggestions - 02/23/15 01:50 PM

What I have seen with hydro dip is it depends on the top coat. We used this stuff called in velvet durafilm at Bowtech the stuff was impossible to get off unless you bead blasted it. Deat would not even eat it off. Could maybe spray it with a thiner version of rhino lining. or trade it off for something like hogue that you can't scratch like the wood
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Looking for stock re-finishing suggestions - 02/23/15 03:55 PM

Truck bedliner would probably be my suggestion. But for a gun like that, I'd just let it be ugly.
Posted By: 10ring

Re: Looking for stock re-finishing suggestions - 02/23/15 04:13 PM

Bonakemi high traffic hardwood floor finish is amazing stuff. I've seen it hold up in applications that vary from entries and hallways in hospitals to the sole of boats. While I have used the stuff quite a bit, I have not personally applied it to a rifle stock but a good friend of mine who hunts out of an airboat in the Everglades finished a rifle stock in it and it has held up great riding in a scabbard on his boat. I realize this is in conditions opposite of yours, I think it would be worth a look for your application.
Posted By: Tundra Trapper

Re: Looking for stock re-finishing suggestions - 02/23/15 07:16 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum