Texas Hunting Forum

AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500

Posted By: Antler Addicts

AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/21/15 08:25 PM

My budget just for the rifle is $1500 what do y'all recommend?
Posted By: Cleric

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/21/15 08:31 PM

bcm recce
Posted By: the444shooter

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/21/15 08:42 PM

I'm a big fan of Daniel Defense rifles--always get my vote when talking of DI guns. If piston, I recommend PWS or LWRC.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/21/15 09:11 PM

I don't shoot my AR's a whole lot anymore, and I only have a few. The one I like the most and shoot the most is my SR 556. I've got just over two thousand rounds through it so far and have yet to clean it, it's been 100% to this point. I'll push it to it's first failure to see how far it'll go before maintenance is needed. It's my first piston AR and so far it's impressed the heck out of me with it's accuracy and reliability.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/21/15 10:48 PM

DI:
BCM
Daniel Defense

GP:
LWRC
PWS
Posted By: huck18

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 12:03 AM

Daniel Defense
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 05:31 AM

The new 2015 FNs look pretty sweet.

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 01:07 PM

So, piston or gas?
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 02:18 PM

Used JP.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 04:06 PM

Save a few hundred and get the Rock River R3 competition. That's what I'm pinching my pennies for. I know quite a few guys that have been winning some comps with this rifle
Posted By: toolman

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 04:56 PM

I can get you a S.W.A.T. made here in Tx. with billet receivers and a lifetime transferrable warranty for well under your budget, even with shipping to your FFL of choice.
http://www.swatfirearms.com/
Posted By: JCB

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 05:00 PM

Another vote for BCM
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 05:43 PM

Save up just a little more and get a Larue Predatar. Billet receivers, lightweight, great balance, accurate. Made in Texas by Texans.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 06:01 PM

I disagree about the predator balancing and being that lightweight.
Posted By: Crews

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 07:01 PM

another vote for BCM or Daniel Defense. Or, go with a Colt 6920 and have money left over for a lo-pro gas block and a rail of your choice.
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 07:52 PM

Save just a little more and do a Larue predatar. Or used JP, noveske or other. For 1500 you can get a nice rifle
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 08:08 PM

More than a "little more" to step up to one of the premiums mentioned above.

I'm workin through the same dilemma. Spend $1500, get a Daniel Defense, Rock River, BMC Recce (perfectly great guns) or spend $2600+ and buy a Noveske Infidel,Wilson Recon, or spend $3,000 on a full blown custom.

I just did a "fake" order online, and am already up to $1800 in parts, just to have to find an armorer I could trust to put it all together, oh yea, then there's the Cerakote...

It's a matter if I want to spend another $1000 to gain 1/2 better accuracy.

Yes I do....maybe
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 08:29 PM

Like I said just a little more:

http://www.laruetactical.com/16”-larue-tactical-predatar-556

You can find used JP and Noveske for under 2K if you search hard enough. The Larue PredatAR is pretty dang decent for the money. You'll get match grade accuracy out of the box if you do your part.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

I disagree withy hem being very accurate. The ones I've shot were luck to hold 1.5 inches at 100yards. Upon talking to the company, they have 2 barrels, a match and a regular. You have to specify which one you want and the match is a little more, even though it's advertised as match grade accuracy. Just not impressed with their quality as of late

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 09:37 PM

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5613236/Re:_Custom_Upper_For_Sale#Post5613236

Buy this and build a lower to your specs rifle
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 10:03 PM

POF?
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/22/15 11:49 PM

I would like to know what everyone is basing their recommendations off of, since not a single person asked you what your use of this rifle will be... confused2

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

I disagree withy hem being very accurate. The ones I've shot were luck to hold 1.5 inches at 100yards. Upon talking to the company, they have 2 barrels, a match and a regular. You have to specify which one you want and the match is a little more, even though it's advertised as match grade accuracy. Just not impressed with their quality as of late

Nobody mentioned the Predatobr. We mentioned the Predatar which is lightweight. Is it the lightest AR, no. But for a 16" billet gun with full length rail, its pretty light.

Larue shipped some rifles with Field Grade barrels when they were getting their barrel process down. Everyone that received their gun with Field Grade barrel was given a Match Grade barrel. Every gun that goes out now has a Match Grade barrel.

Additionally, every Larue rifle ships with a test target detailing exact ammo and optic showing what they are capable of. If a rifle is having a hard time maintaining sub MOA groups with quality ammo (notice i said quality ammo) call Larue and they'll prove to you its not the gun. Sometime Mr Larue himself or Rick Perry will test it for you.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 12:04 AM

you've got some good recommendations so far

I'll throw in a few to consider for that price range

RUGER SR 556 (piston , added some weight but I really like the way this gun shoots )
Aero Precision (lighter in weight )
DPMS SASS (heavy tack driver for not a whole lot of money )
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 12:13 AM

No Knight's Armament Company?
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: cyphertext
I would like to know what everyone is basing their recommendations off of, since not a single person asked you what your use of this rifle will be... confused2

Reckon if he didn't specify then he needs one to do what they were created to do.
Killin' folks.

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 01:17 AM

Some great recommendations have a lot to consider! Will be used to predator/hog hunt.

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 01:19 AM

I was actually considering saving up a little while longer for a LaRue Predator.

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Antler Addicts
I was actually considering saving up a little while longer for a LaRue Predator.

I would have suggested the Predatobr but it is about $700 over your stated budget. That said, i think it would be worthwhile to save the extra coin for it. It is a very versatile rifle (breakdown capability, swap barrel lengths, swap rails) and Larue has alluded to plans to offer various caliber barrels for sale. This means you could potentially swap from 5.56 to 300blk in about 30 seconds. Maybe a 6.8 option, who knows. The possibilities are exciting.

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper

I would have suggested the Predatobr but it is about $700 over your stated budget. That said, i think it would be worthwhile to save the extra coin for it. It is a very versatile rifle (breakdown capability, swap barrel lengths, swap rails) and Larue has alluded to plans to offer various caliber barrels for sale. This means you could potentially swap from 5.56 to 300blk in about 30 seconds. Maybe a 6.8 option, who knows. The possibilities are exciting.

I am thinking I will be patient good to know! Would be great to have the option for different calibers!
Posted By: gusick

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 04:54 AM

If someone asked about $10,000 rifles, I wonder if everone would suggest a $20k rifle? Lol

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: gusick
If someone asked about $10,000 rifles, I wonder if everone would suggest a $20k rifle? Lol

haha our budgets can always go a weee bit more upwards rifle
Posted By: usdrscott

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By: cyphertext

agree
Posted By: Misfire

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 02:23 PM

Anything can kill a hog. For a hunting rifle I'd keep it relatively light. Personally, I like 16" barrels, full length 13-15" (round) free float tubes and collapsible stocks on pig guns. This makes them handy, maneuverable and fast in the field. I like long rails because it offers more options when posting up on natural terrain than a short rail does. A 16" barrel can get you out to 500+ yards with the right ammo.

Check out Daniel Defense. They make high quality rifles and have several models that are within your budget. DSG Arms has stock.

https://dsgarms.com/rifle-platforms-ar15-dd

Posted By: DStroud

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 02:43 PM

Don't claim to be an expert... but if you get an AR with a good barrel and a good trigger all the rest is fluff and personal preference and likes.

With that being said AND I don't own one but I have scoped and sighted in several dozen Rock River Coyotes and the 3Gun Comp models and they shoot better than 97.8% of the folks out there who own AR's are capable of.

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 05:37 PM

This is what comes on the new 2015 FN-15 DMR:

FN 15™ DMR
5.56x45 mm
Semi-automatic only

RECEIVER
Hard-anodized aluminum
Flat-top receiver, M-1913 MIL-STD rail at the 12 o'clock position
Midwest Industries SSM M-LOK™ 15" hand guard
Magpul MBUS® Pro sights

BARREL
18" chrome-lined, cold hammer-forged free floating barrel
Surefire® ProComp 556 muzzle break
1:7" RH twist

TRIGGER
Timney competition trigger

STOCK
Magpul STR® buttstock
Magpul MOE® grip

OPERATING CONTROLS
Ergonomic safety lever and magazine release Forward assist

MAGAZINE
Magpul Pmag® 30 round capacity

This sounds like a pretty nice setup; I'm betting once they get these out on the shelves that the price will come down. Anybody got any feed back on FN?
Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 09:36 PM

Why not build one? You can get quality parts for $1500.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Varget 7-08
Why not build one? You can get quality parts for $1500.

I agree, the AR is about to most modular firearm in history. Why spend $1500 to buy one off the shelf that is "good enough" when you can get 100% exactly what you want for probably less money.

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/23/15 10:06 PM

My argument against building one is that in the event you have to sell it, you'll never get the value out of a Frankenrifle that you would a production model, even if you keep the build sheet on it and can find a knowledgeable buyer that believes the valuation. Also, you build it = zero warranty.
Posted By: 68A

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/24/15 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
My argument against building one is that in the event you have to sell it, you'll never get the value out of a Frankenrifle that you would a production model, even if you keep the build sheet on it and can find a knowledgeable buyer that believes the valuation. Also, you build it = zero warranty.

Yep. After a long search and trying to decide if I should build or buy complete rifle, these were two of the major deciding factors. Especially the warranty aspect. I went with DD, btw.
Posted By: epp838

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/25/15 12:22 AM

I would go colt 6920 then change out handguard to what ever you want. 2nd option would be daniel defense
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/25/15 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper

I am thinking I will be patient good to know! Would be great to have the option for different calibers!

You don't have to spend Larue money to change calibers, especially from 5.56 to 300blk... The pins that separate the upper from the lower allow exactly that.

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/25/15 04:52 AM

I sure wouldn't get a predatar for that coin they ask, again. When I owned one it was much cheaper and considered a "deal".
Posted By: clandr1

Re: AR-15 Purchase Best Rifle in your opinion for around $1,500 - 02/25/15 03:50 PM

Bravo Company or Colt 6920. Then you can spend the other $500 on ammo, training, or accessories (sling, white light, red dot, etc)
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum