Texas Hunting Forum

GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor

Posted By: huck18

GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 07:17 PM

So I've been talking with GAP about a rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. Basically I want their Thunder Ranch Rifle with a few tweaks.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2014-custom-rifles/ga-precision-the-thunder-ranch-rifle.html

The tweaks:

6.5 Creedmoor instead of .308
Threaded Barrel
No Badger Scope Rings
Manners Ta Elite Tactical instead of Manners T

The price of the Thunder Ranch Rifle is $3,870 so before I got a quote I was thinking my build would be around $4,300.

$3,870- Thunder Ranch Rifle
Add $175- Threaded Barrel
Minus $150- BO Rings
Add $300- Stock upgrade

Total- $4,195

GAP quoted me $4,777.00 for my build. I asked why my build was so much more expensive than the numbers I put together and their reason is:

"Pricing is a little different when you get in to the customs. We get a price break on all of the components when we do production builds. Realistically the Thunder Ranch would cost $4300 if we where to build it in the custom work sheet."

Now I'm thinking I could just buy one of the production rifles and eventually get it re-barreled in 6.5 creed but that would kind of defeat the whole purpose of getting a new rifle as I'm wanting to go from .308 to 6.5. Anyone ever had a rifle built by them, and are they worth the $4,777 price tag?

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 07:17 PM

Posted By: Judd

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 07:38 PM

GAP builds a dang nice rifle. In my opinion there are other builders who build dang nice rifles too. With a GAP you are paying some for the name.

You asked are they worth 4,777...only you can answer that. To me, no they aren't....I'd have one built with my own pieces for a less than that. You can check out others that build in that arena if you don't want a local guy....Short Action Customs and Beanland are two that come to top of mind.

I'd use someone like John Trammel or S&S Precision personally. You're call.
Posted By: NewJeep

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 07:43 PM

Talk to Derrick at Horizon Firearms.
Posted By: glb1955

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 07:51 PM

X2 on talking with Derrick at Horizon Firearms.
g

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: glb1955
g

It looks like they only build on Stiller actions. I'm wanting a surgeon or defiance action.
Posted By: Ritter

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 08:32 PM

There are several gunsmiths in North Texas that can build a rifle for considerably less than the price you were quoted that will be just as accurate. They won't have the name recognition of Georgia Precision so if you ever decide to sell the rifle it won't bring as much but then again, you would have less invested to begin with. My suggestion would be to call a few and speak to them about their experience building a rifle similar to the one you want, pricing and lead time.

In the past I purchased rifles from a well known gunsmith and was always happy with what he delivered. Now I am using a small shop in North Texas and wish I had found him years earlier. The quality and accuracy he delivers is as good or better than many of the well know shops at a price that is truly a value.

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Ritter
There are several gunsmiths in North Texas that can build a rifle for considerably less than the price you were quoted that will be just as accurate. They won't have the name recognition of Georgia Precision so if you ever decide to sell the rifle it won't bring as much but then again, you would have less invested to begin with. My suggestion would be to call a few and speak to them about their experience building a rifle similar to the one you want, pricing and lead time.

In the past I purchased rifles from a well known gunsmith and was always happy with what he delivered. Now I am using a small shop in North Texas and wish I had found him years earlier. The quality and accuracy he delivers is as good or better than many of the well know shops at a price that is truly a value.

What's the shop in NTX you use?
Posted By: NewJeep

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 09:15 PM

He will build it on any action you want
Posted By: J.G.

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 09:29 PM

Yup. I gotta guy too. You gather the parts you want and he will make them fit together. The machining of both ends will be around $400. He has a low price for bedding and cerakote as well. And I guarantee, put a $100 bill, that his rifles will shoot as tight as a GA.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 09:48 PM

I know a guy to and he is about to build another one for me grin
Posted By: Dave3575

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 09:59 PM

I have one ready-to-go in the classifieds section.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 10:03 PM

for that kind of money how about something different

Cadex Defence
'Dual Strike' adjustable chassis, fully adjustable butt, 20-40 MOA rail
Bartlein barrel, 5R twist

google/check them out

if you're interested PM me
Posted By: epp838

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: NewJeep
He will build it on any action you want

?
Posted By: epp838

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: huck18

What's the shop in NTX you use?

?
Posted By: Ritter

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 10:21 PM

S&S Precision. It is a small shop with Stick running the machine shop and JD running the retail/reloading side.

Stick can source the component for you or is just as happy to build on the parts you provide.

I forgot to mention, they really only work on Remington and Remington clones.

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

Cadex Defence

google/check them out

Way too non traditional look for me. I'm wanting a dual use hunting/tactical rifle. That I can use for competitions in the future if I choose to.

Here is my current set up.
Rem 700 Acc-SD 20" threaded barrel in .308
Bell and Carlson Tactical adjustable stock that's been pillar bedded.
I like it a lot but I want to drop a couple pounds and switch to 6.5 Creedmoor.

Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: glb1955
g

It looks like they only build on Stiller actions. I'm wanting a surgeon or defiance action.

No we are set up with defiance, waiting on ATF and will have horizon actions from defiance really shortly

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/20/15 11:48 PM

Stick (S&S Precision) will and can work on any action you want to bring them. They have built countless on Panda (Kelbly) actions but they are known for tricking Remington's out.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/21/15 12:59 AM

Several people I know have GAP rifles and really like them. For what it's worth, my McMillan was 12,000, so you are way cheaper than that!!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/21/15 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Capt Craig
Several people I know have GAP rifles and really like them. For what it's worth, my McMillan was 12,000, so you are way cheaper than that!!

eek2 eek2 eek2
Posted By: BigPig

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/21/15 02:13 AM

Cadex Defence

google/check them out

Way too non traditional look for me. I'm wanting a dual use hunting/tactical rifle. That I can use for competitions in the future if I choose to.

Off topic,,, how do you like that muzzle brake? Does it do a noticeable job stoping the twist of the gun?

Back on topic... I got to shoot a GP that was built on a 700 action, and rocking an 18 inch mid weight barrel. At 500 yards it was holding 1-1.5 inches, I was pretty impressed. Is it worth $4400??? that something only you can decide, my Savage works for me and shoots better then I can.
Posted By: STXHO

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/21/15 02:17 AM

I am having a 6.5 being built by Derrick right now. I have been communicating with him off and on since he started. He's been great at communicating with me and helping me make decisions. I have changed my mind several times on barrel fluting (couldn't decide which style I wanted) . Derrick has been patient and eager to help.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/21/15 12:19 PM

Yall have too much money.

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/21/15 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

Cadex Defence

google/check them out

Off topic,,, how do you like that muzzle brake? Does it do a noticeable job stoping the twist of the gun?

Back on topic... I got to shoot a GP that was built on a 700 action, and rocking an 18 inch mid weight barrel. At 500 yards it was holding 1-1.5 inches, I was pretty impressed. Is it worth $4400??? that something only you can decide, my Savage works for me and shoots better then I can.

The muzzle brake really helps a lot with muzzle jump/recoil only downside is the sound. I have an AR-10 and I wouldn't even enjoy shooting without a brake.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/21/15 11:03 PM

You can never have too much money!
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/22/15 12:49 AM

Hay Capt, I am available for adoption! I am 50 so already house trained and low maintenance.

Just throwing it out there... grin
Posted By: stxhunter

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/22/15 05:40 AM

Have you checked out Alamo Precision out of Hurst? They build some very nice guns and have prices that are hard to beat! They will be building a 260AI for me pretty soon!
Posted By: MikeC

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/22/15 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: stxhunter
Have you checked out Alamo Precision out of Hurst? They build some very nice guns and have prices that are hard to beat! They will be building a 260AI for me pretty soon!

X1000 Robert builds a heck of a rifle. You can pay a lot more and get a lot less.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/22/15 08:16 PM

Will Alamo give you a break to save sales tax??
Posted By: Western

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/22/15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: STXHO

I am having a 6.5 being built by Derrick right now. I have been communicating with him off and on since he started. He's been great at communicating with me and helping me make decisions. I have changed my mind several times on barrel fluting (couldn't decide which style I wanted) . Derrick has been patient and eager to help.

X's 2 on Derrick, he has been most gracious with my questions, even though I haven't bought.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/22/15 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: STXHO

X's 2 on Derrick, he has been most gracious with my questions, even though I haven't bought.

I am getting a 300 Win Mag built right now and he has been awesome. I emailed a few questions and he provided guidance. He has not tried to sell/push me on anything but merely answer my questions.

I am looking forward to taking delivery smile
Posted By: stxhunter

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/22/15 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Will Alamo give you a break to save sales tax??

Their prices are pretty competitive and they're giving around $100 off some of their package deals which I would say takes care of taxes depending on how much your overall build costs.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/23/15 01:29 AM

They won't have the name recognition of Georgia Precision so if you ever decide to sell the rifle it won't bring as much but then again, you would have less invested to begin with.

Who's Georgia Precision? GA Precision is based in Missouri. GA stands for "Gnats A$$" Precision, BTW.

I got to see George and crew this weekend at the Rifles Only Bushnell Brawl.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/23/15 03:18 PM

Yeah Georgia precision confused me lol

2 things... If you can wait until Horizon has Defiance set up and rolling... then that is tempting.

that said... I have met Robert at Alamo and they are VERY competitive and VERY cool guys. I've been in there shop several times and have been impressed...

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/23/15 05:03 PM

I'm also considering having my 700 trued/blue printed. I just ordered a Manners stock for the 700 so I will already have that piece of the puzzle no matter which direction I go in with the action.

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/23/15 07:42 PM

You can throw a lot of money that you will never get back truing up a Remington action, at the end of the day it's still a Remington action and worth about $450.

They will shoot well but in my opinion better off to sell and start with a custom action. My opinion...
Posted By: dee

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/23/15 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
You can throw a lot of money that you will never get back truing up a Remington action, at the end of the day it's still a Remington action and worth about $450.

They will shoot well but in my opinion better off to sell and start with a custom action. My opinion...

I agree 100% unless you already have a 700 laying around that you can use.

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/23/15 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: dee
Originally Posted By: Judd

I agree 100% unless you already have a 700 laying around that you can use.

^^They're right^^
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/23/15 08:30 PM

I'm also considering having my 700 trued/blue printed. I just ordered a Manners stock for the 700 so I will already have that piece of the puzzle no matter which direction I go in with the action.

I have a 5 shot 1/4 MOA 6.5 creed from Horizon that sports a trued remmy action all for the fraction of the cost of GAP.

I called GAP and beanland also before I ended up using Derrick. Zero regrets.
Posted By: Nighteagle

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/25/15 02:16 AM

Trueing a 700 is a huge waste of money...sell it and buy a custom action... Ga precision has prolly the best resell value out of all the guns posted in this thread...if that's the way ur gonna go I recommend buying a used one...you will get the most bang for your buck. You will have a hard time out shooting that gun

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/25/15 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I have a 5 shot 1/4 MOA 6.5 creed from Horizon that sports a trued remmy action all for the fraction of the cost of GAP.

I have no doubt. And you're in great shape financially and operationally if you never plan on selling it the trued action. That's alls we're saying.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/25/15 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Who's Georgia Precision? GA Precision is based in Missouri. GA stands for "Gnats A$$" Precision, BTW.
Georgia Precision makes high performance outboard props. I've had several of them over the years.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/25/15 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I have no doubt. And you're in great shape financially and operationally if you never plan on selling it the trued action. That's alls we're saying.

Resale wise I still think your better off trued. IMO

Action only
Loose 30% of 600.. You only lose $180
Loose 20% on $1200 ...you loose $240
Loose 20% on 2000.... Loose 400 or even 15%= 300

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/25/15 10:30 PM

Interesting.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/25/15 10:30 PM

Doing a custom rifle is not an investment to expect to get your money back from. Build it, enjoy shooting it but if you ever sell it do not expect it to have appreciated in value.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/25/15 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Doing a custom rifle is not an investment to expect to get your money back from. Build it, enjoy shooting it but if you ever sell it do not expect it to have appreciated in value.

This. I customize my guns to suit my needs. Resale isn't a concern. If I'm forced to sell, I'll take what I can get.
Posted By: Oldpaint

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/25/15 10:57 PM

My guns are working guns. I have never sold one yet. That is why I have 2 safes.
Posted By: Anton Chigurh

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/26/15 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

This reflects my limited experience in buy/selling rifles.

But if you go peruse the classifieds at the 'hide you'll see asking prices barely below retail on custom rifles, stocks and optics. I'll go ahead assume people are paying close to these asking prices, which makes me wonder who is buying these pieces, mostly via Paypal gift sight unseen, for like 10% off retail. I guess the extended wait time that elite builders like GAP have are a factor, but I still find it interesting...
Posted By: Nighteagle

Re: GA Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor - 02/26/15 04:07 AM

from what I can tell,guns w trued remmy actions don't sell for less, they plain don't sell...nobody wants to buy a used remmy w a trued action. Ga precision rifles that are used sell fairly quickly...

Weather you move guns or not, sound financial is sound financial. I like to keep my guns also, but I know if I ever had to sell my guns they would sell fairly quickly and I would get a nice portion of my investment back...so I have tools that hold their value. That is something that can be used as tools and kept, sold, traded, or passed on to the next generation...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum