Texas Hunting Forum

Winchester Model 70 Made in Portugal

Posted By: Varget 7-08

Winchester Model 70 Made in Portugal - 02/16/15 09:45 PM

Anybody else know this? Our distributor got the last shipment of the US made 70's. Pretty disappointed to hear it.
Posted By: eagle 2

Re: Winchester Model 70 Made in Portugal - 02/16/15 09:49 PM

Heard about it, no worries they will make them as well, maybe better, you just never know, just one model correct?
Posted By: breadman

Re: Winchester Model 70 Made in Portugal - 02/16/15 11:23 PM

well lots of brownings were assembled there , cant be all that bad !
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Winchester Model 70 Made in Portugal - 02/17/15 01:07 AM

Damn, I knew I should have bought that super grade last year.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Winchester Model 70 Made in Portugal - 02/17/15 01:20 AM

I like mine.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Winchester Model 70 Made in Portugal - 02/17/15 01:42 AM

Yep, parts are made here and shipped to Portugal for assembly, then shipped back to the U.S.

According to reports on the Web, it was supposed to have started some time ago.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Winchester Model 70 Made in Portugal - 02/17/15 02:08 AM

That's what I was thinking. Seems like I read about this a year and a half or maybe two years back.

Personally? It doesn't bother me a bit. Just because someone speaks a different language doesn't mean they're too stupid to follow procedures and build something to specifications. Winchester has had long guns built in Japan by two different firms that I know of and there's not a thing wrong with them. There are craftsmen and talented people the world over.
Posted By: 30378

Re: Winchester Model 70 Made in Portugal - 02/17/15 03:11 AM

Lots of Browning firearms were made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal for years with no issues. Govt pressure and taxation is forcing many companies to look overseas.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Winchester Model 70 Made in Portugal - 02/18/15 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: 30378
Lots of Browning firearms were made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal for years with no issues. Govt pressure and taxation is forcing many companies to look overseas.

Probably still very fine rifles, but it is nice to buy quality American made goods. Doesn't mean much if its Freedom Group quality though.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Winchester Model 70 Made in Portugal - 02/18/15 02:13 AM

My Winchester 1885 is a Miroku, and the thing is flawless.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Winchester Model 70 Made in Portugal - 02/18/15 03:25 AM

The issue isn't so much with the quality, but with the rarity of the firearm based on the production run and collector value down the road. It appears the production run of rifles made at the plant in South Carolina may have been for just a few years at most, making them more rare and unique.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum