Texas Hunting Forum

Got a surprise today...

Posted By: bjones2571

Got a surprise today... - 02/16/15 05:10 AM

Was given my grandfather's gun. He passed when I was 8 or so. He was really my step-grandfather, and we werent particularly close. Anyway, he wasn't a gun guy as far as I know, but owned this little Charter Arms Undercover .38 special. Serial number dates it to sometime between 1974-1991 IIrc. I assume it is from the late '70s. In the leather satchel with the gun and ammo was a copy of the 1980-1981 by-laws of the Galveston Rifle & Pistol club. The gun has some surface rust, and I gave it an initial superficial cleaning/oiling. The cylinder release seems to bind about 1 out of 3 times I release the cylinder.

Also, there were a couple of boxes of ammo, including these wadcutters and Nyclad rounds. Can't say that I am real familiar with the Nyclad ammo? Also, I think I'll pass on shooting the wadcutters. lol

Anyway, just thought I'd share. If anyone had any experience, or knows what may be up with the cylinder release, feel free to chime in.

Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Got a surprise today... - 02/16/15 06:40 AM

Looks like a neat little pistol, and in good shape too.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Got a surprise today... - 02/16/15 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
Looks like a neat little pistol, and in good shape too.
Posted By: bjones2571

Re: Got a surprise today... - 02/16/15 02:53 PM

Yeah, I know it's nothing special from a collectors point of view, but cool nonetheless.
Posted By: papa45

Re: Got a surprise today... - 02/16/15 03:03 PM

I had one just like it with a 3" barrel about 20 years ago. Never had any trouble with it. Unfortunately, it was stolen.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Got a surprise today... - 02/16/15 03:16 PM

Cool pistol. up
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Got a surprise today... - 02/16/15 05:07 PM

Nice gun. Haven't seen the wad cutters before.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Got a surprise today... - 02/16/15 05:48 PM

I have 3 Charter revolvers now, excellent guns for the price plus made in America. They have a split history though... Originally manufactured in Statford, Conn and most of the guns coming from this location are excellent. Along the way the company sold and plant was moved, most people feel the gun and CS declined at that time. Check for Stratford location and should state that on the barrel. If it says Charter 2000 and/or Sheldon Conn you have the model with possible problems. (Similar to Marlin being bought)

Regarding the Cylinder sticking, good shot of cleaner of your choice into the action may clear it. I bought my first Charter in 1968 in Abilene, have owned one in 22lr, 32 long, 38 special, 357 mag, and 44 special.

They were not built for a P+.

I would toss the wadcutters. Favorite powder for 148 gr WC back in the 70s and till now was Bullseye and you can triple charge it--bad news, gun is gone and hand is ??? Not knowing who loaded them and the chance for error, it is not worth the $20 a new box would cost.

The S&W Nyclads were deemed "cop killers" and I believe they were banned and taken off the market. Supposedly the coating allowed the bullet to penetrate the bullet proof vests at that time which if memory serves was around late 70's.

Will a Charter Arms serve a purpose?? The model you have was used to kill John Lennon and the 44 special was usedin the infamous "Son of Sam" killings in NYC.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum