Texas Hunting Forum

7mm mag

Posted By: eddie4529

7mm mag - 02/13/15 02:08 AM

Getting a rifle in 7mm mag any suggestions, was looking at a thompson center venture but just wanna see what other guns are out there
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: 7mm mag - 02/13/15 02:12 AM

Let us know a price range. If you can take the recoil, a tikka t3 isn't a bad factory rifle.

All depends on what you want to do with said rifle.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 7mm mag - 02/13/15 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua
Let us know a price range. If you can take the recoil, a tikka t3 isn't a bad factory rifle.

All depends on what you want to do with said rifle.

+1 on the Tikka.

I hope you'll hand load for it. It will run a 168 gr. It might run a 180 gr and that big sucker is stout medicine atop a full load of Retumbo.
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: 7mm mag - 02/13/15 03:10 AM

Most accurate out of the box sub-$500 rifle I have had is a Thompson Center Venture. I have more expensive rifles that have had a lot of work done to them to just barely shoot better than it. Maybe I got lucky, but I like it,
Posted By: kmon11

Re: 7mm mag - 02/13/15 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
Most accurate out of the box sub-$500 rifle I have had is a Thompson Center Venture. I have more expensive rifles that have had a lot of work done to them to just barely shoot better than it. Maybe I got lucky, but I like it,

Chuck, I do not think that is a fluke at all. TC Ventures will shoot.
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: 7mm mag - 02/13/15 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Chuck, I do not think that is a fluke at all. TC Ventures will shoot.

TC Icons too. RIP. Best factory bolt action I have ever owned.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: 7mm mag - 02/13/15 08:28 AM

Not being negative at all but if you are an amateur as your title suggest maybe you should shoot a 7 mag before buying one. Many people myself included find the 7 mag unpleasant and will not practice as much as they should.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: 7mm mag - 02/13/15 02:28 PM

TC ventures are a good factory rifle. You will be happy with them, regardless of what caliber you decide to get

Re: 7mm mag - 02/13/15 11:34 PM

Recoil is not a problem friend of mine has a 300 win mag
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 12:18 AM

popcorn

How tall are you?
Posted By: tth_40

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 12:28 AM

grin
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 01:17 AM

What do you plan to hunt? 7mm mag is probably overkill if you are hunting in Texas. It ain't what you shoot, it's how you shoot.
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 03:12 AM

Why is a 7 mag overkill. The last 4 deer I have killed in the hill country have been with it. The deer have expired quickly and contrary to popular belief they did not explode when I shot them. I have also experienced nearly zero meat loss. Howa 7mm Mag with either 120gr Barnes TTSX or Nosler 160 gr Accubounds.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 03:21 AM

How fast is a 120 gr 7 mag?
Posted By: JJH

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 01:44 PM

"Overkill" = more than needed.

A 257, 243, or 25/06 with the right bullets will have exactly the same effect. The 7mag will work fine. Just has more recoil , noise, and generally more rifle weight. But the good part is that we each get to use what we like and enjoy.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

3500fps is possible
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 02:08 PM

Quote:
7mm mag is probably overkill

Why does this tiresome comment always appear when the subject of magnums comes up. It's almost as tiresome as the "they shoot magnums to make up for their inability to shoot accurately" comments that we hear at least once a week here.

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 02:11 PM

Quote:
A 257, 243, or 25/06 with the right bullets will have exactly the same effect.

horsechit!

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

3500fps is possible

Speer used to make a 115 grain that could top 3600 fps. One of the reasons I've always liked the 7mmMag, one very versatile round.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 02:37 PM

Highway,

We're reading the same sheet of music today. grin

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 05:51 PM

Always been a fan of the 7 Mag.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 06:21 PM

I have several rifles and my Remington 700 in 7mm Mag is a tack driver. I have use the rifle on elk hunts and muledeer out west and shoot the Federal Premium 160 gr Nossler partitions. BTW, I bought the rifle many years ago specifically for a New Mexico Elk hunt.

I suspect that there are several manufactures that make excellent rifles and there are other calibers that are also very good(as stated above). I like the ballistics on the 7mm Mag. It does kick a bit, but I usually wear a "sissy" shoulder pad when at the range and when hunting you don't notice the recoil at all.

I think you will be happy with the 7mm Mag if that's the caliber you want.

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 11:13 PM

Quote:
It does kick a bit, but I usually wear a "sissy" shoulder pad when at the range and when hunting you don't notice the recoil at all.

Shot my first buck when I was 9 thought I'd shot with my 30-06, turned out I shot it with my Pop's 300 Weatherby. I never knew the difference.
Posted By: erok11

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 11:24 PM

Been shooting a Remington 700 for several years now. Shot whitetail here in TX, hogs, 2 mule deer in Colorado, and 2 antelope in Wyoming. Lots of recoil. Knock on wood ... but i've never lost an animal and haven't hit one square in the shoulder so never lost any meat. I like hunting with it ... not so much when it comes to target shooting.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 11:34 PM

Weatherby
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: JJH

A 257, 243, or 25/06 with the right bullets will have exactly the same effect. The 7mag will work fine. Just has more recoil , noise, and generally more rifle weight. But the good part is that we each get to use what we like and enjoy.

This was my point exactly. Alot of people, especially new hunters think they need a big bullet so the won't lose deer, or a worse excuse, so they don't have to track deer. If he wants a 7mm mag, then there isn't anything wrong with it, I can hammer finishing nails in with a 2lb sledge, but it'll wear your arm out. 12oz claw hammer is a better tool for that. I'm assuming based on his name of "amateur hunter" that he's new to hunting. I have a very good buddy who I shoot with that doesn't hunt very much if any. He felt like he had to have a .50 Beowulf to hunt hogs with (doesn't even have a place to hunt mind you) and no amount of me telling him his 30-06 and .270 were more than capable of doing the job with 100% effectiveness. He doesn't care, he loves his Beowulf, and that's a good thing. As long as you are happy with your choice, then it's all good, I just wanted to make sure he was informed.
Posted By: JCB

Re: 7mm mag - 02/14/15 11:44 PM

I have become a huge fan of the 243 lately BUT I can tell you first hand that other than the end "effect" being death to the animal, they are not created equal. I have a hard time punching any 243 round through both shoulders of a big Boar. Not so much with the 7Mag. That's just one example.
Posted By: Chris42

Re: 7mm mag - 02/15/15 12:18 AM

I have a 7mm mag in a ruger M77.

Nice rifle. Not a light rifle, but still has a good kick. Not really enjoyable to shoot all day, . . . or even though a box of 20.

I will probably get some thing in between the 7mm mag and the .223 eventually, but I have no intension of selling this rifle either.
Posted By: postoak

Re: 7mm mag - 02/15/15 12:37 AM

How about the Weatherby Vanguard S2? It weighs 7.25 pounds in 7 RM, so with a scope will have enough heft to dampen some of that recoil.

$493.00 with blue finish and synthetic stock at Bud's Gun Shop.

Re: 7mm mag - 02/15/15 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Quote:

horsechit!

Now that's a cogent argument. crazy

Re: 7mm mag - 02/15/15 10:58 AM

Quote:

horsechit!

Now that's a cogent argument. crazy

I believe in the KISS principle.

Re: 7mm mag - 02/15/15 03:32 PM

And I guess all those DRT deer that I've taken over the last 50+ years with non-magnum rifles, weren't dead after all...

Re: 7mm mag - 02/15/15 03:51 PM

And I guess all those DRT deer that I've taken over the last 50+ years with non-magnum rifles, weren't dead after all...

If you were trying to make a point about my comment about the 257, 243, 25-06, 7-mag comparison you lost me. Your comment has nothing to do with it. They simply do not have the same effect as a 7-mag in fact they don't even come close no matter what bullet your shooting. We're talking bullet weight, velocity and foot pounds of energy. Let's also add that the OP was specifically asking about the 7-Mag but like always we have to wade through the same silly nonsense that pops up every time the word magnum is mentioned.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: 7mm mag - 02/15/15 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: amateur hunter
Getting a rifle in 7mm mag any suggestions, was looking at a thompson center venture but just wanna see what other guns are out there

The original post was related to which 7mm Mag the poster should consider buying..... now I see posts about other calibers and why you don't need a magnum caliber, etc.

If you want to start a thread on which caliber to consider when you buy a rifle...start a new thread. Don't hijack this one.
Posted By: spg

Re: 7mm mag - 02/15/15 04:29 PM

7mm has one of the best BC's, as far as which gun to get it in, it all depends on what you expect out it. The lighter the gun the more recoil, I prefer heavy but that's me. If your hand loading don't fully re-size your shot brass, the belted magnums tend to stretch at the belt when full re-sizing and can over stress the brass prematurely.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: 7mm mag - 02/15/15 04:31 PM

Ain't every one touchy!!!
Posted By: postoak

Re: 7mm mag - 02/15/15 04:37 PM

Yeah, I bought a go/no-go type gauge for the area in front of the belt. If a cartridge won't fit in it, it probably won't fit into the chamber, and believe me, if you force a round in, you will have to pound on your bolt handle to get it out!

I gave up on neck sizing on the magnums (although you can usually get away with it the first time). I screw the FL die in until it bottoms on the shell holder then back off 1 turn. I then run cases in, progressively turning the die back in until the case will fit in my gauge. Another way is to use an indicator gauge and set the shoulder back .003".

Re: 7mm mag - 02/15/15 04:55 PM

If you were trying to make a point about my comment about the 257, 243, 25-06, 7-mag comparison you lost me. Your comment has nothing to do with it. They simply do not have the same effect as a 7-mag in fact they don't even come close no matter what bullet your shooting. We're talking bullet weight, velocity and foot pounds of energy. Let's also add that the OP was specifically asking about the 7-Mag but like always we have to wade through the same silly nonsense that pops up every time the word magnum is mentioned.

I like the 7 mag, too. Took a nice elk with one in Sept. Just don't think the extra bullet weight, velocity, and foot pounds, kill Texas deer any better/deader/quicker than many other cartridges. YMMV. And I'm all for you using whatever rifle/cartridge/bullet combination works for you.

Just wasn't sure what your point was with the one word horse manure post.

And I feel so terrible about hijacking a thread. Guess I thought this was a forum to exchange ideas on hunting in Texas.
Posted By: spg

Re: 7mm mag - 02/15/15 05:04 PM

Where I hunt in S. TX I don't want to be trailing a deer through thorns and brush, I want it DRT and I think a magnum is your best chance.

Re: 7mm mag - 02/15/15 05:17 PM

I already have a 30-06 and a 243, had a 270 but I sold it I just want a 7mm rem mag just for the heck of it, and I'm not worried about not being able to kill a deer I know I can make the shot shot a doe with my 243 this past season and it only walked 10-15 yards before dropping dead aim banana

Re: 7mm mag - 02/15/15 05:34 PM

Can't think of a better justification for getting a new rifle than " I just want it". grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum