Texas Hunting Forum

Remington 700 recall process

Posted By: Simple Searcher

Remington 700 recall process - 02/07/15 03:28 PM

I have gone through the recall process and here is how it went.
Remington was awesome, they paid all of the freight, both ways. They had me worried when they said 12 weeks after they received the guns.

I called them (1-800-243-9700) and they said that both of my 700's needed returned. They sent boxes to me to pack the guns. This took 1 1/2 weeks for the boxes to show up (this was during the Christmas rush time). That was okay because I had to remove the scope, rings, bases, sling, suppressor, etc. And then I delayed a week or so returning the rifles until deer season was over.

Jan 7, I called Remington and they scheduled a pickup
Jan 9, Guns were picked up at my house by UPS
Jan 15, Guns arrived at Remington, New York (according to UPS tracking)
Jan 23, Received an email stating that they had received the guns
Feb 4, Received an email stating that the guns had shipped back to me
Feb 11, Deliver date according to UPS tracking

Overall about 6 1/2 weeks (7 1/2 for me because I waited to ship) from initial phone call till they will be back in a few days.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/07/15 04:01 PM

That's not too bad. How's the trigger feel?

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/07/15 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
That's not too bad. How's the trigger feel?

They are due back on Wednesday. I'll let you know
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/07/15 04:07 PM

Glad you had a good experience. I tried to send mine back as soon as I heard about it, around August or so. They said they would mail a box to me, I waited and waited then decided to just buy a Timney trigger because it took so long. Then, randomly in November a large box showed up from Remington...

I am about fed up with Remington, it will be a long time until I buy another firearm from them.
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/07/15 04:18 PM

The guys at Timney owe Remington a nice cut of their year-end bonus.. Can't imagine what kind of a windfall this has been for them..

I've swapped out 2 for Timney's in the last few months.. But, in all fairness, I would've done it regardless of the recall..
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/07/15 04:36 PM

Decent turnaround time. Mine was from before the recall period but I put a Timney in it anyway since I was upgrading the rest of the gun.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/07/15 08:59 PM

I put Timney's in my two remaining 700's. One is my dad's that I inherited, one is my first centerfire that my daughter has claimed and will not let me get rid of. All the others went bye-bye.

I won't own any more Remingtons. This last recall was the icing on the cake for me.

There's just too many rifles out there with a comparable price point and better QC.

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/07/15 10:05 PM

I don't own a remington, and I likely never will after the fiasco of all this. Atleast not a 700.
Posted By: Moondog

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/08/15 12:45 AM

After all these years, I finally put a Timney on my model 700. For the record, I never experienced a failure with this rifle, but I witnessed 3 failures on 2 different rifles that I know were never altered and were not dirty. In one case, after seeing a friend shoot a hole in his pickup it spooked me enough that I was afraid to use my gun anymore.

And I agree. the Timney folks must really be smiling.
Posted By: Skip

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/08/15 01:19 PM

Put a Timney in my wife's 700.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/08/15 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I don't own a remington, and I likely never will after the fiasco of all this. Atleast not a 700.
Me too. I'm out on Remingtons from now on. The recall doesn't bother me as much as just the general lack of QC over the past few years.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/08/15 11:13 PM

Shoulda bought a Savage! bolt peep loser8
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/08/15 11:28 PM

I went through this process on my 700. It went very smoothly and every call with customer service was good. I had a 2 week turn around on my replacement

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/08/15 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Bingo.

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/12/15 07:11 PM

I just got my rifles back. The triggers are 5 pounds and they feel just like before, no noticeable difference. They look the same as the XMP but I am sure that they changed something internal.
I know the recall was a pain but Remington seems to be on the ball now. And $0 was the cool part.
Posted By: JD4030

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/12/15 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Yep, I'm sure Savage has enjoyed the recall.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/13/15 11:37 AM

My recall was painless. I only sent them the trigger group.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/13/15 06:15 PM

Has their been more than one recall? I have a 700 (it's at the ranch, not here to check the #) but from what I can remember I think it's from before 2006.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Remington 700 recall process - 02/13/15 06:32 PM

Are the new triggers adjustable? Is the bolt locked when the safety is on?

$0 for a 5 lb. trigger seems like a fair trade.

I hope the new replacements end up working ok for everyone that gets them done.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum