Texas Hunting Forum

Weatherby vanguard weight question

Posted By: ltsheets

Weatherby vanguard weight question - 02/03/15 02:42 AM

So I have a Wby Vanguard S2 Deluxe with a walnut stock. The stock has a few bad dings in it that occurred before I bought it and I'm considering putting some money into the package to lighten it for packing. The scoped weight right now is right at 9 lbs. I'm considering fluting the barrel and putting a light composite B&C stock on it. I'm curious if anyone on here as done custom work to a similar Wby and what the weight savings was. Thanks.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Weatherby vanguard weight question - 02/03/15 03:30 AM

I haven't done it on an S2 but I do have an Interarms Mark X action w/ a 22" barrel in 358 that has a B&C stock on it. Without scope it weighs in right at 7.75 lbs. The old wood stock barreled action was a touch over 8 lbs.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Weatherby vanguard weight question - 02/03/15 04:42 AM

Things can be done to the wood stock to make it lighter. That being said most of your weight reduction should be done with the metal, as if course it weighs more. Cut barrel down, flute, lightening cuts in the action and or bottom metal, smaller contour barrel.

Most factory wood stocks are left very bulky on the outside, a good stocker can remove a lot which aids in losing weight, makes the gun petite feeling, and improves handling. Of course this isn't cheap. Cheap ways to remove stock weight include hollowing out the buttstock underneath the pad.

When specified it's pretty easy to build a wood stock gun under 6.5lbs without scope. Done it several tines.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum