Texas Hunting Forum

AK FTE Issues

Posted By: jeepercreeper

AK FTE Issues - 02/01/15 02:28 AM

Finally had the chance to shoot my Yugo M92 that has been SBR'd. Shot 4 different types of ammo (fmj, hp, steel, brass) out of 3 different types of magazines (yugo, magpul, tapco) and had FTE issues with all combinations of ammo and mags. Would run fine for 2-3 rounds, then FTE. Cant tell if its short stroking or what. Any ideas? Worthwhile to contact Century about it? Since its been modified (stock, rail, engraved) im not sure they'd even look at it. Or should i simply contact JBI? I dont have the time, patience, or expertise to diagnose and resolve AK issues. Very frustrating bc I didnt think AKs were supposed to have reliability issues.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: AK FTE Issues - 02/01/15 03:52 AM

I'd probably hit up jbi he's the know all of ak stuff around here
Posted By: Poke81

Re: AK FTE Issues - 02/02/15 12:51 AM

What brake do you have on it? If your not using one you may need to try a 4 piece booster.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: AK FTE Issues - 02/02/15 01:14 AM

Would contact JBI but my guess is short stroking with the short barrel, pressure bleeding off before full cycle.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: AK FTE Issues - 02/02/15 01:34 AM

AKs normally dont have reliability issues in their standard configuration.

Re: AK FTE Issues - 02/02/15 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Poke81
What brake do you have on it? If your not using one you may need to try a 4 piece booster.

No brake on it. Just the thread protector.

Re: AK FTE Issues - 02/02/15 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Would contact JBI but my guess is short stroking with the short barrel, pressure bleeding off before full cycle.

Initially thats what i thought so i made sure the bolt carrier was well lubed and not catching anywhere. Also made sure to clean barrel and chamber. Some of the FTEs occurred as stovepipes, some not. Think Ill call Jim

Re: AK FTE Issues - 02/02/15 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
AKs normally dont have reliability issues in their standard configuration.

Only thing changed on this that stock was added. I doubt that would have caused the issue. It was my fault for not function testing it when it was a still a pistol and prior to tax stamp, engraving, etc
Posted By: ACW

Re: AK FTE Issues - 02/02/15 03:41 AM

This would be my first thought, I would investigate the size of the gas port that the barrel has. Often times if you cut down the barrel, you have to increase the port size in the barrel to release more gas to make sure the gas piston gets enough pressure.

EDIT, Shouldn't have said often times, should have said, sometimes.

Re: AK FTE Issues - 02/02/15 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: ACW

This would be my first thought, I would investigate the size of the gas port that the barrel has. Often times if you cut down the barrel, you have to increase the port size in the barrel to release more gas to make sure the gas piston gets enough pressure.

EDIT, Shouldn't have said often times, should have said, sometimes.

Yeah, this is the first thing I would have guessed if the barrel had been cut down. But this is a factory pistol from Zastava. So the barrel and gas port should be the same as all other M92 pistols. But its worth a look.
Posted By: bside

Re: AK FTE Issues - 02/02/15 06:35 PM

it is extremely unlikely you're overgassed, as AKs have a phenomenal amount of overtravel.

You may need to get the gas port in your barrel opened up a bit.

To take a bit of remedial action yourself, polish up the rails, bottom of the bcg and face of the hammer really well, that may very well get you to a good spot.
Posted By: tannerlst

Re: AK FTE Issues - 02/03/15 01:42 AM

My pap has ran 100% since I got it . I've put probably 700 rounds or more through it . I did sand down the area on bolt carrier where bolt rubs cause the machining was crappy there but it ran ok before that as well

Re: AK FTE Issues - 02/03/15 03:15 AM

Thanks guys. I may do a bit more inspection and polishing before getting it serviced. The action is in between a WASR and an Arsenal so could probably stand to be polished a little.

Re: AK FTE Issues - 02/01/16 02:01 AM

Its been almost a year and still have cycling issues. Thought Id update this as a PSA to anyone contemplating SBRing a M92 or M85. Make sure you test fire it before SBRing. It was an expensive lesson for me.

BTW, the gun was with JBI Armory for about 6mo and he couldnt figure out what was wrong with it. Not sure what all was done but l confirmed today that it still has issues. Very frustrating and ive pretty much given up in it. Jim also mentioned these Yugos have problematic receivers and he recommends replacing with a different receiver. The hammer pin hole on mine is starting to egg. He mentioned that its only a matter of time on the Yugo M92/M85 receivers before they start having issues. Unfortunately mine had issues right out of the gate.
Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

Re: AK FTE Issues - 02/01/16 03:07 PM

I would try a krink brake or the 4 piece one, they are supposed to aid in function by giving it more back pressure.

Hate to hear that bud.

Re: AK FTE Issues - 05/22/16 08:22 PM

Update: Finally got around to looking at this gun again. I replaced the factory FCG and shephard hook with Tapco parts. Polished the new FCG. Also threw a damage industries brake on it.

Got it out to the range this morning and low and behold the damn thing is cycling. It had trouble with HP bullets out of Yugo mags but ate all the FMJ I threw at it. It ate everything out of Magpul mags. Dissapointed that after 6mo at JBI I ended up fixing the issue in my garage in one evening.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum