Texas Hunting Forum

new rifle set up

Posted By: eddie4529

new rifle set up - 01/30/15 04:22 AM

I'm looking to set up a rifle for long range shooting I know lots of people have different definitions of long range but to be clear I want a rifle that can shoot 200-400 yards and be accurate of course my shooting will also be a factor, I was looking at the howa kryptek 1500 its a nice rifle and I've heard good things about howas any caliber recommendation or other rifles?
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: new rifle set up - 01/30/15 01:15 PM

Budget with optics?
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: new rifle set up - 01/30/15 01:38 PM

Howa makes a good rifle, but you can find others like Savage and Remington that will be cheaper and have better aftermarket support for upgrades later on. I'm considering picking up one of these for my next rifle...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-FCP-SR-RIFLE/1954769.uts
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: new rifle set up - 01/30/15 01:58 PM

up to 400 yards, any rifle 25 caliber and larger is good. I have never owned a howa but have heard good things about them. like Precision said, savage and remington are good choices as well.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: new rifle set up - 01/30/15 04:14 PM

I'm just starting to dip my toe into stretching my shots out farther. So, I'm by no means an expert, but any quality rifle with decent optics should be able to shoot accurately at those ranges as far as hunting goes. If you really want to shoot 1" groups at 400, you will likely need a custom or semi custom build, and there are lots of guys here who can steer you in the right direction if that's your goal.

If hunting is the goal, I'd buy a savage model 11 is something like .308 and put a vortex crossfire II 4-16x50 on it. That would certainly get the job done.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: new rifle set up - 01/30/15 04:27 PM

Only problem with a Howa/Weatherby Vanguard, that while they are good fairly inexpensive shooters as they come from the factory, the barrels are threaded in metrics, and from what I hear, are an absolute bear to get off the receiver....and hence as mentioned, not much in the way of after market goodies support available, like a Remington 700 or Savage would have.

IMO I'd be looking at a Tikka T3 Blue/Syn stock in that $500 price point, and then have the ability to move thru the after market upgrades one step at a time...but they are noted for Out of the Box accuracy & guaranteed to shoot 1" MOA at 100 yards. Both of the T3 shooters I've owned would/will do that in bone stock configuration, and why I bought another one last month in December, anticipating doing the upgrades over time as finances allow for whatever customization I feel is necessary.
Ron
Posted By: RCINTX

Re: new rifle set up - 01/30/15 05:05 PM

I'll be following this, as I am in the same boat. I'll add a link to the thread I had a week or so ago, it has some great information. I have made no decision, but basically am down to Savage/Remington or maybe Tikka. I want to go with a 6.5mm caliber, but don't reload yet, so may stick with .308.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: new rifle set up - 01/30/15 05:59 PM

I would go with the savage model 10, they can be had for around $550. Then I would get a Vortex scope, probably the Diamondback HP 4-16x42. That should put you in the price range of the Howa.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: new rifle set up - 01/30/15 06:16 PM

TC Venture comes in well under 500 most of the time and is a good shooting rifle with a sub MOA guaranty.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: new rifle set up - 01/30/15 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: JRJ6
up to 400 yards, any rifle 25 caliber and larger is good.

Uh, what about the long .224" bullets? Or the 6mm (.243") ? Lots of those do a fine job at distance every day.

Tikka
Savage
Remington +Timney trigger

22-250
22 Creedmoor
6 Creedmoor
6 x 47
6.5 x 47
260 Rem
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 x 55
7mm-08
308 Win

And thats not all your options, just some of the short action ones. Some of those chamberings would require custom work. All of the cartridges wont bat an eye at 400 yards, that's medium range. Pick any combination. Spend as much on the scope as you do the rifle as a minimum. Optics and ammo are more of a concern than the rifle these days.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: new rifle set up - 01/30/15 06:27 PM

I shoot a Howa 7mm08 and it is a tack driver. I even put the Nikko Sterling scope on it, as that's the way most Howas are set up. The NS scopes are not very well known in this country, but I also have one on my .50cal muzzy.

You may have seen Les Johnson on his predator hunting show, and he often shoots the Howa Axiom and that is an awesome weapon.

In the early 80's, Howa made a rifle for Smith & Wesson. I bought one in the .270 caliber as my first deer rifle, and I still shoot it as my main "go to" rifle! It's still shooting tacks with it too.

But, Howa's are like most other rifle, people who have them ....love them!

As was stated earlier, if you are hunting deer or other big game, you're better off staying with any at .25 or greater; the four most popular are .270, 300 win mag, .30-06,or .308!
Posted By: jcneef

Re: new rifle set up - 01/30/15 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
I would go with the savage model 10, they can be had for around $550. Then I would get a Vortex scope, probably the Diamondback HP 4-16x42. That should put you in the price range of the Howa.

i vote this cheers
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: new rifle set up - 01/30/15 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: jcneef
Originally Posted By: BigPig

i vote this cheers

I vote this as well, you can get a nice scope too if you buy used. In my opinion, the scope is more important than the rifle.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: new rifle set up - 01/30/15 07:51 PM

Never see anyone mention the Ruger line of varmint rifles. I have one in 243 with the laminated stock and it's a good shooting gun. Not sure how they are priced but they have caliber choices in them that could work.

Re: new rifle set up - 01/30/15 07:52 PM

If Savage, look at the 10T. Cabelas has them for $599, but may be able to find them a little cheaper elsewhere. They come with EGW picatinny rail. Just need scope, rings, bipod and ammo and you're in business.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savage-T-Tactical-Bolt-Action-Rifle/1695199.uts

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 01:19 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, definitely be looking into all those I'm thinking about a Remington 700 with the triangular barrel and putting a good scope on it, I'll also be checking out the savage 10, in calibers I already have 243 and 30-06 so I'm thinking of either a 7mm-08 or a 308 not sure yet

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 01:30 AM

The VTR is a gimmick. If you want a 700 get a SPS, SPS Varmint, or Police model.
Plan on spending an additional $150 for a trigger for any of the Remington's.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Precision_Shooter
The VTR is a gimmick. If you want a 700 get a SPS, SPS Varmint, or Police model.
Plan on spending an additional $150 for a trigger for any of the Remington's.

^This. The VTR is just for looks. The SPS is a better shooting rifle.

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 02:08 AM

Its the Remington 700 vtr

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 02:09 AM

Oh OK thanks on that advice good to know, definitely don't wanna buy something that looks better than it shoots

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: amateur hunter
Its the Remington 700 vtr

Yes, that's the VTR we are talking about. It's just shaped like that for looks and to charge you more. Get the Remington 700 SPS instead.

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 02:16 AM

Both the sps and 700 police both seem nice, I'm most likely gonna go with a Remington 700 just not sure I'd sps or police and the caliber

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 02:45 AM

Haha I can't even decide after seeing the reviews on the savage 10t its seems like a good deal on the rifle

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 04:06 AM

Run a Savage and a Rem 700 side by side on 100 yard paper and they will probably shoot equal.

The Savage has a better trigger, but an ejector that is too small.

The Remington will need a new Timney right away, add $100.

The Tikka has a great trigger, an awesome ejector and extractor design, side bolt release, and will shoot as good as the other two. I've shot lots of rounds out of all three actions.

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 05:05 AM

The tikka t3 TAC looks nice up
Posted By: SR025

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 05:53 AM

Tikka T3 CTR

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 11:11 PM

Do you know if the ctr comes with a longer barrel, I wanted to get a rifle with a 24 inch barrel maybe 26

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 11:30 PM

Do you know if the ctr comes with a longer barrel, I wanted to get a rifle with a 24 inch barrel maybe 26

only 20". the varmint models might come with a longer barrel.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 11:32 PM

Why ? Long barrels are a pita if you don't need them

Re: new rifle set up - 01/31/15 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

He right, that's why one reason I got the ctr, for the shorter threaded barrel.

Re: new rifle set up - 02/01/15 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

Yup.

Longer means more velocity. It also means it is more picky about what HANDLOAD you load for it. The longer the barrel the more tuning you have to do to the load to make it shoot consistently.

Re: new rifle set up - 02/01/15 09:28 PM

Oh OK thanks for the info, idk the tikka stocks seem kinda like cheap plastic now that I looked at them

Re: new rifle set up - 02/01/15 09:40 PM

Order a good stock and throw the factory one away. The barreled action, and trigger are the good stuff!

Re: new rifle set up - 02/01/15 10:52 PM

Any suggestions on optics? Budget for optics would be around the price for the gun maybe a bit more 5-700

Re: new rifle set up - 02/01/15 11:09 PM

Huh can't seem to find the tikka t3 TAC on cabelas website or anywhere else
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: new rifle set up - 02/02/15 04:53 PM

Cabelas is the last place to buy a gun unless you don't mind paying about $200 more than others. Check Bud's Gun Shop.

Re: new rifle set up - 02/02/15 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03

Cabelas is the last place to buy a gun unless you don't mind paying about $200 more than others. Check Bud's Gun Shop.

You're thinking of Gander Mountain and Bass Pro...

Cabelas is a little overpriced, but not as bad as the other 2 I mentioned.
I buy guns from Cabelas, because they usually have a large selection and I get gift cards to there so end up paying less out of pocket than buying anywhere else.

Re: new rifle set up - 02/02/15 06:19 PM

^This. Gander Mountain is the last place you want to buy an over priced gun.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: new rifle set up - 02/02/15 09:19 PM

A lot of retail stores don't always carry all the different models. Academy usually just has the base models. Cabelas carries a lot more than academy, but you will probably have to find it on another website.

Re: new rifle set up - 02/02/15 10:03 PM

http://www.impactguns.com/tikka-t3-tactical-308-win-20-inch-jrtm113-082442814032.aspx

Re: new rifle set up - 02/02/15 10:03 PM

$$$$$
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum