Texas Hunting Forum

Best New Rifle Package?

Posted By: Gone to Texas

Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 01:44 AM

Saw a video of them presenting this at Shot Show. This looks like an awesome package, plus it comes with a Vortex Crossfire! Might be the new hot package deal for first time rifle buyers.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 01:54 AM

That's pretty cool if you like Mossberg at all.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 02:03 AM

What a peice of crap fooling people because of the fluted cosmetics. Mossberg is king of the gimmick crap
Posted By: JD4030

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 02:14 AM

Lipstick on a pig, I wouldn't have a Mossberg rifle, Vortex or not. Their .22 A/R's have a terrible reputation.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 02:15 AM

The stainless savage 116 hunter package with a nikon pro staff 3-9 is the same price and an excellent rifle with decent hunting optics.

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: wp75169
The stainless savage 116 hunter package with a nikon pro staff 3-9 is the same price and an excellent rifle with decent hunting optics.

Exactly
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
What a price of crap fooling people because of the fluted cosmetics. Mossberg is king of the gimmick crap

Yup and a friend of mine fell for it with the 4 x 4 in .223

It does shoot sub MOA though.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 02:18 AM

Cue the guy with a Mossberg that's never had any problems.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 02:24 AM

They make great shotguns. I have a plinkster 702 that's a single shot instead of a semi auto. I would never spend that on a mossberg rifle.

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 03:23 AM

I have actually never fired a Mossberg bolt action but the Vortex scope enticed me! Being a new hunter if I saw this at Cabelas I would probably pick it over other rifles. I did buy the Mossberg 500 with the "lightning" trigger, didn't like it though so I sold it off. I'm a sucker for a good gimmick!

I agree the Savage is hard to beat!
Posted By: P & Y

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 04:51 AM

I picked up a MVP in a pinch a couple months ago. Got the call from my dealer that my suppressor was approved and ready for pick up. It was the only .308 threaded barrel rifle I could find local that day. The machine work on the bolt looked like a 4 year old did it. The bolt cycled as if it had a pound of sand in it. Feed ramp had burrs that wouldn't allow proper feeding and so on. After an hour or so of working on it I took it out for a trial. The gun will shoot sub MOA with factory ammo. For what it cost and how it shoots I'm pretty happy with it but they have some serious QC issues to address.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 07:09 AM

Never been a fan of Mossberg shotguns so doubt I'd own a rifle.
The shotguns shoot alright. I call them mud guns because there is so much play in the action that you could get mud all over in them and they would still have room for the action to cycle. Might be good for duck hunting in a swamp or something. I don't duck hunt.
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 01:00 PM

I bought an MVP Patrol rifle in .223 last year for my son to use for Deer.
I like that it uses standard AR magazines. It's short and handy with a decent trigger. Bolt is rough but doesn't bind.
It's a decent little rifle for the money and shoots well.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 01:38 PM

I've always thought mossberg shotguns were crap and will never own one. However a buddy of mine picked up a .243 for his son and I worked up a load for it. I was very surprised at the accuracy and factory trigger was good. If you want a cheap rifle I'd recomend one.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 02:00 PM

for an entry level rifle, they get it done.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: P & Y
I picked up a MVP in a pinch a couple months ago. Got the call from my dealer that my suppressor was approved and ready for pick up. It was the only .308 threaded barrel rifle I could find local that day. The machine work on the bolt looked like a 4 year old did it. The bolt cycled as if it had a pound of sand in it. Feed ramp had burrs that wouldn't allow proper feeding and so on. After an hour or so of working on it I took it out for a trial. The gun will shoot sub MOA with factory ammo. For what it cost and how it shoots I'm pretty happy with it but they have some serious QC issues to address.

Seriously who goes through the expense, hassle, and wait to get s suppressor... and doesn't have a gun to put it on so they run out and buy a pos mosberg just because its threaded???
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Seriously who goes through the expense, hassle, and wait to get s suppressor... and doesn't have a gun to put it on so they run out and buy a pos mosberg just because its threaded???

roflmao that was my exact thought. Putting the carriage before the horse??? And then to buy a rifle that probably cost half the price as the supressors?
Posted By: hermano W

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 02:33 PM

I bought one scope and all for $300.00 just as a favor for a friend. I was surprised how consistent it shoots. The accuracy compares with other entry level rifles.

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 04:16 PM

When I first started looking at hunting rifles I went into a gun store and shopped around. This was back in Maryland when I lived there.

I asked the guy behind the counter what he recommended for a hunting rifle, he handed me a Mossberg Scout in .308 and said "They don't come any better than this!" Maybe he didn't know what he was talking about...

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas
This was back in Maryland

Maybe he didn't know what he was talking about...

Nailed it!

Just kidding. I'm sure the mossy is as functional as their shotguns but if your looking to spend $650 you need to look elsewhere.

Such as. Tikka T3 lite stainless $499 at academy everyday. Nikon prostaff 3-9 is $149.

Same money spent. Much better rifle. Decent scope. And I think the vortex listed above is their entry level as well.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 09:08 PM

Which Academy where has a Tikka T3 Stainless at $500 today? ...sure would like to know so's I can buy some....
Ron
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 10:29 PM

Look at the Ruger American Standard... if you can find one on the shelf. Suggested retail on them is $459 so street price should be lower than that. I don't think I've read a bad review on them yet. I would buy a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creed if I found one. The Predator is threaded for a suppressor.

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
Which Academy where has a Tikka T3 Stainless at $500 today? ...sure would like to know so's I can buy some....
Ron

Academy in mesquite had them on the shelf for $499 in December. I ask and they said it was their regular price.

Edit: I'm not seeing that on their website though. Might be wrong.

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 11:10 PM

Here's a thread about it but it may have been a sale. This was back in August. We're same price in December.

hold on. Working on the link

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/5264512/Searchpage/1/Main/429805/Words/%2Btikka+%2Bacademy/Search/true/Re:_WTB_stainless_Tikka#Post5264512
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 11:35 PM

Here's a thread about it but it may have been a sale. This was back in August. We're same price in December.

hold on. Working on the link

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/5264512/Searchpage/1/Main/429805/Words/%2Btikka+%2Bacademy/Search/true/Re:_WTB_stainless_Tikka#Post5264512

Her you go up

link for above post
Posted By: postoak

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 11:38 PM

How much does that package cost new? The Savage 116 with scope, I mean.

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/30/15 11:48 PM

Buddy bought his sons at bass pro for $650

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/31/15 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: postoak
How much does that package cost new? The Savage 116 with scope, I mean.

$595 @ Bud's, shipping included.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/31/15 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
Ron

I don't like Tikka but for that price I'm game....
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/31/15 01:28 AM

I would rather buy the Rem 700 ADL with Bushnell scope. Can find them at Academy and Walmart for around $425 to $450. Crossfire is equivalent to entry level Bushnell.......

Savage 11 package with Nikon ($500 at Academy) is one of the best starter setups out today. Tikka/Burris scope is next ($700 at Dicks).
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/31/15 02:22 AM

'POS Mossberg'. While it probably is, I just find it funny how things change. 30 years ago we re all saying the same thing about Savage, and now a lot of you can't say enough good things about them.
Posted By: Shooter5645

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/31/15 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
'POS Mossberg'. While it probably is, I just find it funny how things change. 30 years ago we re all saying the same thing about Savage, and now a lot of you can't say enough good things about them.

Isn't that the truth....totally agree...

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/31/15 03:32 AM

Savages are definitely better than they use to be.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/31/15 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate

My 1956 savage 99f says they have always known how to make a quality firearm.
Posted By: P & Y

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/31/15 04:55 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

A guy that has Custom rifles being built that are held up waiting on parts or smiths and wants to play with his new suppresors THAT day.

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/31/15 05:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: Pittstate

My 1956 savage 99f says they have always known how to make a quality firearm.

I wonder why Savage hasn't sold 5 million plus of them like Remington has with the model 700? Not knocking your rifle at all, just saying that on average, Savage rifles are much better than in years past. They have probably done the best at marketing their trigger. My opinion is that their 11 hunter series is better than the Rem 700 SPS series today, but that was not the case with their rifles in the 70's and 80's.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/31/15 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch
Look at the Ruger American Standard... if you can find one on the shelf. Suggested retail on them is $459 so street price should be lower than that. I don't think I've read a bad review on them yet. I would buy a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creed if I found one. The Predator is threaded for a suppressor.

I've shot this gun in .243, came with a Redfield scope, shot MOA all day long with factory ammo

for my starter gun, it would get a hard look.

Hell, If I find one of the new Ruger American Predator in 6.5 C, I might just drop some $$$ on one

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 01/31/15 05:38 PM

A lot of the guys around here are buying the Rem 783 and bringing to gunsmith to convert to 6.5. The gunsmith around here told me they were one of the easiest and cheapest to do the conversion. He had 3 of them in the shop when I was picking up my gun.

I have the Ruger American in .223 for varmint hunting and it is a tack driver. I got tired of lugging around my 700 VLS in .223. I don't need a bull barrel to shoot once or twice at varmints and ten shots max a day. The VLS is great from shooting 100 rounds a day at prairie dogs though!
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 02/01/15 01:51 PM

I was considering getting a custom rifle package from Mel at Sniper Central, but I was surprised that the gun starts at $1330 with a $200 scope on it. I don't have $2k+ to spend on a rifle, so I may be stuck with an off-the-shelf rifle with my own scope and trying to accurize the gun later.

Or does anyone know of any other custom gun packages I should look at? I realize it costs money to shoot long range (along with training, practice, etc.), but I'm just trying to find the best value I can. Mel's may be the best value out there. I have no idea, since I just started looking.

As for the Mossberg, I've got a 100 ATR that shoots just fine. Is it the best target rifle ever built? Of course not. For a rifle that I've got $400 in, I'm pretty happy. It's a 1MOA gun with a mid-priced Redhead scope on it. Plenty good enough for hunting around here.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Best New Rifle Package? - 02/01/15 08:30 PM

It's all about the budget. They are all good and will get you what you want till you can afford to go custom. main thing id to start shooting!!!

Have fun and keep us posted.

I know pronounce this Thread dead angel
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum