Texas Hunting Forum

ATF Definition or Article Form 1 parts

Posted By: phat694

ATF Definition or Article Form 1 parts - 01/28/15 11:15 PM

I've search the intraweb for a while and since its Wednesday and eForms is down I cannot find the article or specifics where the ATF talks about having an approved form 1 and being onsite while suppressor parts are being made (i.e. If you are subbing out the labor to a machine shop). I'm looking for the link to the ATF site or something official.

Can anyone help?
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: ATF Definition or Article Form 1 parts - 01/29/15 02:18 AM

Re: ATF Definition or Article Form 1 parts - 01/29/15 02:31 AM

Thanks for that but I am looking for the article or what not that states I can have a machinist make parts to assemble a suppressor while I am onsite and in possession of my form 1 tax stamp.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: ATF Definition or Article Form 1 parts - 01/29/15 04:16 AM

I was wondering if it was possible to do that.
Posted By: BCJ

Re: ATF Definition or Article Form 1 parts - 01/29/15 01:31 PM

I'm not sure where to find it spelled out the way you are asking, sounds like you are trying to show a local machine shop that it is legal.

The rules are:
1. You can sub a part out to a local machinist if you are present while the part is being made and you take all parts with you when you leave (if not completed you still take the part and bring it back later to complete). It is legal because the form 1 covers the suppressor parts.
2. You can sub it out to a 07/02 (SOT) without being present since they are licensed to make the parts. You can also have a 07/02 replace worn or damaged parts on a 1 for 1 basis.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-silencers.html

Re: ATF Definition or Article Form 1 parts - 01/29/15 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: BCJ
I'm not sure where to find it spelled out the way you are asking, sounds like you are trying to show a local machine shop that it is legal.

The rules are:
1. You can sub a part out to a local machinist if you are present while the part is being made and you take all parts with you when you leave (if not completed you still take the part and bring it back later to complete). It is legal because the form 1 covers the suppressor parts.
2. You can sub it out to a 07/02 (SOT) without being present since they are licensed to make the parts. You can also have a 07/02 replace worn or damaged parts on a 1 for 1 basis.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-silencers.html

Yes, that's it. However I need to find were it says that on the ATF letterhead or the link to the website that lists the rules.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: ATF Definition or Article Form 1 parts - 01/29/15 04:46 PM

You can write to the local ATF office and they should give you a written response. Then you have one addressed to you on ATF letterhead.
Posted By: Gemlin

Re: ATF Definition or Article Form 1 parts - 01/29/15 08:24 PM

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/fire...ms-act-handbook

Re: ATF Definition or Article Form 1 parts - 01/29/15 08:39 PM

Ok, I think I have it, Sec 6.4 last paragraph.

If the applicant on the Form 1 lacks the skill, ability, and/or equipment to manufacture the NFA firearm,
the applicant, after receipt of the approved Form 1, can have the firearm created or modified at a
premises other than shown on the approved Form 1 as long as the creation or modification was done
under the direct oversight of the applicant, thus having the applicant retain custody and control of the
firearm. If the location is outside the applicant’s State and the firearm being made is a short barreled
rifle, short barreled shotgun, destructive device, or an unserviceable machinegun which is being
reactivated, the applicant will also need to request permission to transport the firearm interstate as
required by 27 CFR 478.28.

Does that sound about right?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum