Texas Hunting Forum

Browning A-Bolt feeding problem

Posted By: JRJ6

Browning A-Bolt feeding problem - 01/26/15 01:56 PM

I have a Browning A-Bolt in 270 win that I purchased a Boyd's stock for.
I took it to a gunsmith to have the stock bedded.
Took the rifle out yesterday for the first time to the range and the bullets are not feeding into the chamber.
If I put a bullet in the magazine, the bolt will not chamber it.
If I lay a bullet on the top of the magazine, the bolt passes over the bullet.
The only way I can fire it is to put the bullet directly into the chamber and then close the bolt.

what is causing this?
would the stock change have anything to do with this?
is this something I can correct?
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Browning A-Bolt feeding problem - 01/26/15 02:11 PM

My guess would be either the stock itself is leaving too much space between the receiver and the floor plate or the bedding material has added too much thickness and is causing the same problem. That kind of thing effects a Browning A-Bolt more than some other types of rifles because the magazine is removable and mounted to the floor plate. I would take it to the gunsmith who bedded it and have him fix it.
Did you have it in the Boyd's stock prior to the bedding job to see if it fit correctly before?

Re: Browning A-Bolt feeding problem - 01/26/15 02:24 PM

I never shot it with the Boyd's stock prior to the bedding. It had a grey synthetic on it before and feed fine. never had an issue until yesterday.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Browning A-Bolt feeding problem - 01/26/15 02:41 PM

The bedding and/or the placement of the bottom metal is not in the correct position. When you bed the stock to the action, you have to make sure the magazine lines up correctly at the proper height for feeding. It sounds like the magazine is now in a position too low for the bolt to pick up the round from the magazine. The gun smith should have checked the feeding prior to delivering the rifle to you. It will have to be taken apart, and adjusted for fit. Usually that means a dremel tool and trial and error. The bottom metal needs to get higher to the bolt (remove bedding material under the bottom metal), so the mag sits higher to feed the round. It is a simple fix, just takes some tial and error to get it right.

Re: Browning A-Bolt feeding problem - 01/26/15 02:54 PM

thank you for the feedback
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum