Texas Hunting Forum

Noob..

Posted By: ZachTisdale

Noob.. - 01/22/15 06:14 PM

So I will preface this by saying that I am not from Texas, I worked in Midland/Odessa for about 2 years. I loved Texas, just did not like that area I loved Lubbock and San Antonio though and now that I am in the Gulf, I kinda miss the wide open spaces where I could stretch out.

Anyhow, I live in MS and there aren't a lot of "Gun Guys" that I know. Sure a bunch of them have "Daddy's Ought-6", but there isn't much of a customization or shooting scene. I can't think of a single gun range in the whole state. So I look to you guys for a lot of knowledge. I have 2 questions..

1. What would the ultimate all-around cartridge be for mid-range(4-600) shooting, and still be good for medium-sized game? I'm asking in relation to several factors. Availability(off-the-shelf or handloading), reliability, recoil.
2. I ask this just for giggles, what would your preferred 1,000 yard cartridge be?

Thanks ahead of time.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Noob.. - 01/22/15 06:56 PM

Not as many ranges there as in Texas. I always shoot on my own place or friends places there.

Found this list from a quick search

http://rangelistings.com/shooting-ranges/MS.html I know it is not complete though.

Long range rifles, for shooting 1000 yards there are lots of cartridges that will do that and be good for hunting. Lots are now using 6.5 Creedmoor, I like the 6.5-284.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Noob.. - 01/22/15 07:09 PM

1. 6.5 Creedmoor

2. 6.5 Creedmoor

Hornady makes fantastic match ammo for it. But if you are a hand loader the list is very, very long on what cartridges will do a fine job at 1k.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Noob.. - 01/22/15 07:13 PM

You are about to get many responses on different calibers - the 6.5 creed seems to be the new cartridge everyone seems to want or is talked about.

Many calibers can deliver on what you have asked. I would pick the one that fits you the best and the one you are most accurate with. Test out different ones and see what's best for you.

Re: Noob.. - 01/22/15 07:18 PM

Do you handload your 6.5? That is something I would like to get into, but I think that is something I would rather watch be done than read about and try..

Re: Noob.. - 01/22/15 07:21 PM

Fireman JG... I have read alot of your responses, and I figured the 6.5 Creed would get your nod. Can you recommend any decent literature on handloading?

I am pretty much an open vessel and anything you guys can throw at me would be appreciated. I know absolutely nothing about long range shooting. I have always been able to pick up a rifle and hit whatever I aim at to about 300 yds. But I want to stretch my game a little bit and learn..

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Noob.. - 01/22/15 07:26 PM

what do you have?
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Noob.. - 01/22/15 07:27 PM

and do you have a chronograph?

Re: Noob.. - 01/22/15 07:30 PM

I have a .300 Win A-Bolt and a 5.56/.223 from Palmetto State..

But I want to start fresh with a new platform.

No chrono either
Posted By: redfred

Re: Noob.. - 01/22/15 07:36 PM

Check out www.wheretoshoot.org. There are quite a few in Mississippi.
Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: Noob.. - 01/22/15 07:51 PM

6.5CM
300WM
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Noob.. - 01/22/15 08:00 PM

You can get some loading manuals. One other good source is the Ammunition and Handloading section on this forum. There are lots of guys that really know their stuff, and they won't tell you anything that would put you in danger.

Yes, I load my own for every centerfire rifle I have, and several others for friends. The nature of the 6.5 Creedmoor is that it will push a bullet with a good ballistic coefficient at a pretty good muzzle velocity. And coincidentally there is factory ammo that shoots so well that few other cartridges can claim to have mass produced ammo that will do what the Hornady Match will do. Sure 175 SMK in Federal Gold Metal match has been around for the 308 Win for a long time. However the 6.5 Creed beats it both in MV and BC.

Re: Noob.. - 01/22/15 08:08 PM

I appreciate it, I will look into the other section and poke around.. see what I can find
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum