Texas Hunting Forum

Aftermarket stock question

Posted By: Stoney

Aftermarket stock question - 01/16/15 05:01 AM

I traded for this rifle, it is a FN Belgium action with a 26' barrel in 7MM Weatherby magnum.It's a great shooter as is but for some reason I am not crazy about the stock. I have tried looking at Boyds and Stockystocks but honestly, I have no idea what I am even looking for. This is the first FN action I have ever owned, I don't even know what to type in for manufacturer . Is there even aftermarket stuff available for something like? Thanks for any input

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Aftermarket stock question - 01/16/15 05:21 AM

Looks like a Mauser large ring 98. There are lots of items for that action. Have an old Herters J9, in an older B&C stock with a Timney trigger. There were lots of companies across Europe that made those actions, FN being one of the better ones IMO.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Aftermarket stock question - 01/16/15 05:24 AM

That's a start, thanks!!
Posted By: dee

Re: Aftermarket stock question - 01/16/15 01:08 PM

Yeah mauser 98 is what you have and a great one at that.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Aftermarket stock question - 01/16/15 02:11 PM

FN is a Mauser 98 large ring as has already been stated. Bell and Carlson, Manners, McMillan and many others make stocks for this. Figure out what you're wanting out of the stock (ie., light weight, better bedding, fit, feel etc) then research what you want.
McMillan does some that folks call 'McSwirly's' that have two or more colors blended in. The McMillan's and Manners aren't cheap - $400-$600 and there's quite a wait on them, but folks swear by them.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum