Texas Hunting Forum

Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08

Posted By: Furb

Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 01:07 AM

So after at least a year, between ordering parts, getting the barrel made, and etc, the AR10 in 7mm-08 is finished. Now all that is left is to load dev the 162 AMAX I got, then go hang with FiremanJG to stretch it out there.

Lower Specs:
RPG billet lower
Magpul PRS with Monopod
SSA-E Trigger
Anti-Rotation Pins
CMMG Parts kit
Ergo Grip

Upper
Matching RPG Billet upper
Custom Bartlein 7mm 5R 20" barrel
.875" PRI Adj Gas Block
Shadow Weaponry Nickel Boron BCG
BCM CH
Troy 13" Rail
YHM Low pro swivel stud
Harris S-BR BiPod
Ti RPG Suppressor break
LaRue 20MOA 1 30MM Mount
Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 4.5X14X50
RPG 30Cal Ti Suppressor

Can't wait to get her to the range!

Posted By: DENTPUSHA

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 01:13 AM

I gotta say that pretty BA!!
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 02:18 AM

Wow...!eek2

Range report when you can. You did a beautiful job! up
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 02:24 AM

Anxious to see what velocity this makes. We will find out, for sure, out to nearly a half mile.

SEXY!
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 03:26 AM

Very cool!! That's a great set up. The only thing I'd recommend is taking off the mono pod. There are a few applications for them, but they mostly get in the way.
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Very cool!! That's a great set up. The only thing I'd recommend is taking off the mono pod. There are a few applications for them, but they mostly get in the way.

Agreed

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Agreed

+1

I missed it the first time I looked at the pic. They take way too much time to adjust and add weight to the rifle. Get a good rear bag and that will be all you need. I have three different ones you can try.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 03:06 PM

Very nice! Can't wait to see how it performs!
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 03:06 PM

you might want to at least consider another/different bullet, as the 162's are very long and you are limited to 2.80 on your magazines,...... additionally unless you already have the 162's good luck finding them........ just something to think about

but.... that is one heck of a sweet rig

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Agreed

+1

I missed it the first time I looked at the pic. They take way too much time to adjust and add weight to the rifle. Get a good rear bag and that will be all you need. I have three different ones you can try.

Man you guys are killing my "cool" factor here, next thing I know you guys will laugh at the Stacks on my Dodge.

As far as the 162, I am not married to it but I did score a few hundred bullets off snipers hide a month back, if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't and I pick a different one and move on, will report back once I go to the range, probably will be a couple weeks though.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 05:17 PM

Looks great man, how much that thing weigh LOL.

Also didn't think you were supposed to use KNS pins with Geissele triggers.
Posted By: BobG

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 05:18 PM

Range Report Please! Looks awesome rifle
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal

My gas gun from GA Precision came with KNS pins and a Geissele trigger seems to be just fine
Posted By: the444shooter

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 05:52 PM

very interested to see what you can do with those 162s!!!!!!
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: SingleShot85

My gas gun from GA Precision came with KNS pins and a Geissele trigger seems to be just fine

Just what I've read from Geissele

Quote:
Here is the deal on non-rotating pins
Geissele SSA pins are 0.1550" dia 0.0001. Holes in the trigger can be 5 tenths over Geissele pin size. Kns pins are either .154 or .1555. So they are either too loose or just about a metal to metal fit in Geissele triggers

Geissele pins are chrome-moly steel that is rough turned, rough ground, heat treated and then centerless finish ground. They are a quality pin.

Why do we not recommend KNS pins? One is that they are the wrong size. Can the smaller diameter pins work? Yes, but they are not the intended size and there can be a 'softer" break to the 2nd stage with them.

But the biggest reason is that the KNS pins are soft. Sometimes when they are installed they pull up a burr that causes havoc with trigger operation. I get calls from frustrated customers where they are totally disappointed in their SSA because it either feels terrible or it hangs up. I spend all kinds of time on the phone wracking my brain trying to figure out what is going on and trying to work the customer through the problem. Finally, I ask the customer to send the trigger in (which I hate to inconvenience the customer with) and the issue is that the KNS pins are jamming the trigger up.

A hammer or trigger pin that rotates maybe 1/8 of a turn with each shot, *might* wear through the hard anodizing after a million rounds.

Let it rotate, it doesn't matter, its nothing to worry about. More FCG holes are damaged by people swapping the pins out every other week in an attempt to fix something that isnt broke.
Steve
Posted By: Drew in Tejas

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 06:40 PM

Dont worry, you can load the 162s down to mag length. I have shot them out of my bolt gun at 2.750" and did great with them over varget. Start around 39gr and work up slowly. I bet you will see 2650 to 2700fps safely once the barrel is broke in. Also, bad [censored] rifle

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/16/15 07:03 PM

And the 7-08 Guru has spoken. yingyang

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/17/15 12:30 AM

Looks great man, how much that thing weigh LOL.

13.5lbs w/o mag or bi-pod
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/19/15 01:41 AM

Sweet, sweet, sweet.
Posted By: Tye

Re: Finally finished it, AR10 in 7mm-08 - 01/19/15 04:09 AM

Nice looking rig!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum