Texas Hunting Forum

380 for the wife?

Posted By: TGreen

380 for the wife? - 01/12/15 05:43 PM

I was looking at getting my wife a 380 to keep in her car. I have looked into the Taurus and KelTecs and really like them not having a safety. Heaven forbid, if she did have to use it I don't want her fumbling around looking for a safety. Point and click. She has shot a LCP and had trouble with the slide(couldn't grip it and get it all the back sometimes), im just wondering since this was a new gun if it was just stiff and would loosen up with break in or if it would always have that much tension? would a hammerless wheel gun be better suited? Any suggestions on models?
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/12/15 05:45 PM

Sig P-238

Bought it for myself, ended up giving it to the GF. Easy to handle/shoot, only drawback for you is it's carried cocked and locked (its a mini-1911). Practice makes Permanent!
Posted By: BCJ

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/12/15 06:08 PM

My wife has the LCP; she couldn't rack the slide is she held it out with one hand and pulled back with the other. Instead I showed her how to rack it easier by pushing both hand together close to the body. Much easier for most women since it uses more muscles
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/12/15 06:08 PM

Glock 42.

Half the muscle needed to rack the slide compared to the Taurus, Keltec, and LCP's...
Great shooting little gun which will also have less perceived recoil than the ones mentioned above...
Posted By: bjones2571

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/12/15 06:20 PM

Get her a revolver. S&W Airwight but add hogue grips. The standard grips can pound the hand a bit.
Posted By: southern_fowler

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/12/15 06:38 PM

+1 on the revolver that way she doesn't have to worry about magazine springs.
Posted By: ralph

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/12/15 10:34 PM

Another revolver recommendation. Concealed hammer/DAO. Point and shoot. Make it as simple as possible.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/12/15 11:05 PM

I have an LCP that I really love, but I took several females out shooting. They all had trouble racking the slide, and they hated loading magazines on the Ruger LCP and SW MP40. None of them had any problems with the 1911. I think revolvers are better options for gals who don't like fussing with heavy slide and magazine springs.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/12/15 11:08 PM

Taurus TCP

Have two of them. The no safety is a non issue being its DA only trigger, which takes some pull and has lots of creep.

On a 15 yard and under gun that's not an issue.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/12/15 11:09 PM

Take her to a range where they have several different pistols that she can try.

Let her pick what works best for her.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird

^^^^
This.

She can try out several different models and find one that fits HER hand and that she can handle. Not to mention you won't be having to trade in something that you picked out for HER (figuring you're 90% likely to pick out something she cant use). wink

Though I like the idea of a revolver. Point and 'click' system.

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 12:54 AM

I'm confused. Everyone keeps saying to get a revolver because it's easier...

How is having a loaded G42, LCP, etc any different than a loaded revolver?
Both you just "point and pull the trigger"... A better/lighter DAO pull on the G42 than any of the shrouded hammer DAO snub nose revolvers...
Posted By: bjones2571

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 01:44 AM

What if it jams? What if she needs to clear the gun and later reload? If she is going to carry an auto she has to be able to fully manipulate the gun, including working the slide. IMHO. Often a revolver is just easier for those that lack hand strength. Plus in a true self defense situation a long pull is m ot necessarily a bad thing. Again IMHO.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 01:58 AM

gave my wife a revolver she never likes it so she moved on to a walther 380
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Precision_Shooter
I'm confused. Everyone keeps saying to get a revolver because it's easier...

Not me.

They are hard to learn to shoot accurately under pressure and even harder to reload under pressure compared to a semi.

Again, let her try things out and she what she likes and shoots well.

Give her a blank check and it will be repaid many times over.

Who knows, the life she saves might be yours.

She might just surprise you.
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 05:41 AM

Bersa Thunder 380.
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 05:55 AM

I think you should look into either a Ruger LCR or a S&W 637 or 642. All three of those are .38spl +p rated and have very smooth double action triggers. The S&W 637 Airweight has an exposed hammer and can be fired single action-but the trigger pull is scary light, so extreme care should be exercised.

The .38 Special and +P are a much better manstopper than the .380, and you have more options for ammo as far as what grain bullet you can find. I like shooting the Remington Gold Saber or Hornady Critical Defense 125gr +P out of my revolver (my primary carry-gun) and my wife likes the new Hornady pink tipped 110gr Lady Defense regular .38spl loads that don't recoil as much. She has the Airweight, and with full power 158gr wadcutter loads she almost quit shooting. With a .380 I think the bullet weights are either 85gr or 95gr last I checked. If I had to use a .380, based on everything I've seen and read, Critical Defense is what I'd load it with for protection.

As far as semi-auto .380's go, I think the Glock 42 is the way to go.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 01:02 PM

If this is for a car I would go with a mid size glock or xd. Or maybe a Xds or shield in 9mm.
She will like it better
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 02:23 PM

Good options to consider...

Sig P-238
Glock 42
S&W Bodyguard
Posted By: janie

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird

^
This. Until she is 110% completely comfortable with a pistol/revolver, that SHE wants, don't buy her anything.

Since this will be staying in her vehicle, don't forget the handcuff's. Run one end thru the trigger guard, and the other where the seat frame is bolted to the floor. Will make it a helluva lot harder to steal, when the car is unattended.

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 02:31 PM

After some thinking and looking around, I'm not against the 380 but the ammo selection and availability isn't the greatest. and as was previously stated this gun will stay in her car, not a carry gun, so a little bit bigger frame 9mm may serve her better. im leaning towards the XDS 9mm anyone have any real world experience with this gun?

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 02:57 PM

Skip the XDS and get a Khar CW9. No safeties, a good trigger, and not much bigger than the Glock 42...
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 04:12 PM

Skip the XDS and get a Khar CW9. No safeties, a good trigger, and not much bigger than the Glock 42...

Then you're back to the slide that's hard to rack. I love my S&W M&P shield but it's also tough for the GF to rack so she has the P238.

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 04:18 PM

The slide is not especially stiff on the Khar, but I know what you're saying...
Any small 9mm will have a stiffer slide than a comparable .380...

Best bet is to take her to Academy or similar, and let her handle and manipulate the slides on several different models as suggested above.
Posted By: rifle.30cal

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 08:22 PM

Kahr P380.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/13/15 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Then you're back to the slide that's hard to rack. I love my S&W M&P shield but it's also tough for the GF to rack so she has the P238.

My Dad has ap238 too. Anyone can rack it back. Great little gun, just a little heavier than the plastic pocket guns. It feels way better to me than those do anyway. Easy to shoot too
Posted By: progress4m

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/14/15 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: ralph
Another revolver recommendation. Concealed hammer/DAO. Point and shoot. Make it as simple as possible.

100% agree!
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/14/15 01:41 AM

Why does she need to rack the slide under duress? If that gun isn't in a ready to fire position, it's useless in a high stress situation.

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/14/15 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Why does she need to rack the slide under duress? If that gun isn't in a ready to fire position, it's useless in a high stress situation.

I agree that a gun must be loaded to be of any use, but I do find it very important that she be able to use the gun in its entirety. Including loading, unloading, clearing jams, etc. by herself. I may not be standing beside her to help with her pistol and I would like her to be able to manipulate it with ease.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/14/15 04:37 PM

If she has a hard time racking the slide or loading the magazine, she isn't going to like the pistol. Do yall carry or shoot firearms you do not like?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/14/15 11:15 PM

Agree with Jeffbird, take her to a range, let her shoot and "work" a few, she can decide

If you just have to get her something, look at the new Ruger LCR in 9mm

she can carry several loaded full moon clips, if needed.

If you got big bucks, get her a bobbed hammer S&W Airweight and have a "skilled" gunsmith do an action job on it.

My opinion is for a woman who is NOT going to PRACTICE and become 100% familiar with her weapon, don't bother, goes for everyone, really....

Bad guy could snatch it from her if she takes her eyes off him trying to remember how work the gun.
Posted By: FroggerZack

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/18/15 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Bullfrog

My Dad has ap238 too. Anyone can rack it back. Great little gun, just a little heavier than the plastic pocket guns. It feels way better to me than those do anyway. Easy to shoot too

A P938's slide is very easy to manipulate also.

For a car gun I'm thinking a full size Glock 17. Hold lots of rounds and doesn't malfunction!

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/18/15 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: FroggerZack
Originally Posted By: Bullfrog

A P938's slide is very easy to manipulate also.

For a car gun I'm thinking a full size Glock 17. Hold lots of rounds and doesn't malfunction!

If you think a glock 17 WON'T malfunction you are out of your mind. this coming from a guy that carries nothing but glocks.
Posted By: FroggerZack

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/19/15 06:46 PM

True but Glocks are reliable or you wouldn't carry nothing but Glocks.

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/19/15 07:53 PM

up
Posted By: AP2714

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/20/15 01:29 AM

My wife is first time pistol owner. She is really enjoying her Walther PK380. She's becoming really good at maintaining it and shooting as well.
Posted By: DfwTexas

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/20/15 03:34 PM

sig p238 or ruger lcr
Posted By: Judd

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/20/15 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: RWH24
Bersa Thunder 380.

My wife does not carry but her favorite gun is the Glock 26. But likes the Bersa Thunder 380 a bunch...if she was to carry one that would be her choice. It is a great performing gun that is relatively cheap.

I do agree with taking her somewhere you can rent some guns and let her shoot a few and make the decision. In the long run it will save you some money and heartache.

Oh and for the record...she HATES the LCP 380. She doesn't like the recoil and she doesn't like the slide being so hard to rack. 9 times out of 10 it will be the one I grab from the safe just because it is so easy to conceal.
Posted By: garrett

Re: 380 for the wife? - 01/20/15 05:26 PM

My wife does not carry but her favorite gun is the Glock 26. But likes the Bersa Thunder 380 a bunch...if she was to carry one that would be her choice. It is a great performing gun that is relatively cheap.

I do agree with taking her somewhere you can rent some guns and let her shoot a few and make the decision. In the long run it will save you some money and heartache.

Oh and for the record...she HATES the LCP 380. She doesn't like the recoil and she doesn't like the slide being so hard to rack. 9 times out of 10 it will be the one I grab from the safe just because it is so easy to conceal.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum