Texas Hunting Forum

Buying Firearms

Posted By: kagomez85

Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 12:15 AM

Ive bought and sold quite a few guns but today i had the strangest request.I understand signing a bill of sale to have some type of documentation. This was his request give me some opinions on what yall think

A note about being safe:
---notice---
My gun trading procedures
I want to protect myself and at the same time, this protects YOU.
I will only meet at a very public place where video surveillance is in use.
I will take pictures of you, your car, your DL or CHL, your gun and the paperwork . I suggest that you do the same.
I require a signed bill of sale that includes the statement "I am not legally prohibited from obtaining this firearm" for each of the traders.
We will both sign them and we will each leave with a copy.
I will print these beforehand and bring them to the meet up.
---notice---

Pictures?? Really...
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 12:21 AM

when you accidentally sell a firearm to a felon that you can't prove to ATF
who you sold to it can be a mess for you

taking pictures of individual, license, vehicle will prove to the field
investigator that you've done all you can to be legal

I did the same

not strange at all
Posted By: kagomez85

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 12:26 AM

So a stranger having all your info does not bother you? For some reason "Identity Theft" just started running through my head when he asked to photograph everything about me..me,truck, dl, and chl??
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 12:27 AM

I wouldn't take it that far either if you want to see my chl fine but your not taking a copy.

Walter
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 12:33 AM

If you want that much proof of sale, then why not go ahead and go through an FFL and do a background check?
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch
If you want that much proof of sale, then why not go ahead and go through an FFL and do a background check?

Agreed might as well make it easy on yourself pay the transfer fee and get it completely out of your name altogether.
Posted By: TCB

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

when you accidentally sell a firearm to a felon that you can't prove to ATF
who you sold to it can be a mess for you

taking pictures of individual, license, vehicle will prove to the field
investigator that you've done all you can to be legal

I did the same

not strange at all

I always print and keep the PM where you agreed to the sale. Acts like a bill of sale and has contact info for that person.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 01:55 AM

wow new one on me.. guess I need to step up my stuff. I normally just do the deal and walk away.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 02:55 AM

I'd just meet at an FFL and do a 4473. Ain't gonna let no weirdo take a picture of me. confused2
Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 03:15 AM

they that concerned, I don't need what they have
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
I'd just meet at an FFL and do a 4473. Ain't gonna let no weirdo take a picture of me. confused2

Yep...

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: daniel1381
wow new one on me.. guess I need to step up my stuff. I normally just do the deal and walk away.

Yep if I would have taken a picture of you I would have broken my camera bolt
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 03:33 AM

Uh.. According to the ATF, as long at you have no reason to believe them to be a felon or otherwise in eligible to own a firearm, you don't have to do a thing when you sell it. No bill of sale, no pics, no recording serial numbers.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 03:45 AM

Per ATF website:

What record-keeping procedures should be followed when two private individuals want to engage in a firearms transaction?

When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. A private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary under Federal law for a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are “same-State” residents. Of course, the transferor/seller may not knowingly transfer a firearm to someone who falls within any of the categories of prohibited persons contained in the GCA. See 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(g) and (n). However, as stated above, there are no GCA-required records to be completed by either party to the transfer.

There may be State or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact State Police units or the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.

Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a firearm from a private person who resides in another State, the firearm will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer’s State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See also Question B3.

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal

Lol that's messed up ..hope it's super cold at the shoot just for u

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
Uh.. According to the ATF, as long at you have no reason to believe them to be a felon or otherwise in eligible to own a firearm, you don't have to do a thing when you sell it. No bill of sale, no pics, no recording serial numbers.

Works for me..

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal

Lol that's messed up ..hope it's super cold at the shoot just for u

Haha I hope it is too.. I'm so damn hot natured I'd probably still be sweating.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 04:46 AM

I usually just say out loud: "So you're a Texas resident and there is no reason you can't own this, right?" and if they pass they pass. If it's a sting, it's recorded anyway and the law says I can't transfer it if I have a reasonable suspicion. I did have someone here refer their out of State friend to me for a buy. I was not comfortable at all with the discussion. I didn't have to converse a second time thankfully.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 04:54 AM

If a man's willing to show me his driver's license I'm generally comfortable with a sale or swap, but I rarely ask. If I don't get a good feeling about the individual I am meeting, I won't deal. I've met several dozen THFers and never had any negative feelings or thoughts about anyone I've dealt with from this site.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 05:36 AM

I don't mind giving you a copy of my DL with the number blacked out, and you're welcome to my picture and my license plate, but I kinda agree with the above poster that says if you need all that and my DNA the I don't need what you're selling.
Posted By: bjones2571

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 05:39 AM

Originally Posted By: kagomez85
Ive bought and sold quite a few guns but today i had the strangest request.I understand signing a bill of sale to have some type of documentation. This was his request give me some opinions on what yall think

A note about being safe:
---notice---
I will take pictures of you, your car, your DL or CHL, your gun and the paperwork . I suggest that you do the same.
I require a signed bill of sale that includes the statement "I am not legally prohibited from obtaining this firearm" for each of the traders.
---notice---

Pictures?? Really...

Yep, that would be a no go for me. Ill show my DL, but no copying the info. Also, I don't mind a bill of sale with my name, phone number and gun info, but that's it. No drivers license no., no home address. I don't need to sell or buy a gun to someone that requires more than that.

I too have bought and sold a lot of guns to guys on here and other local forums, and thankfully have never had a problem.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 06:06 AM

To me it's like dealing with people who think guns are routinely registered. I have explained this over and over again to some people and they just don't seem to be capable of absorbing it. I'd rather not have any dealings with those people. Too much like "well-behaved little sheep."
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 07:15 AM

Originally Posted By: bjones2571

A note about being safe:
---notice---
---notice---

Pictures?? Really...

Yep, that would be a no go for me. Ill show my DL, but no copying the info. Also, I don't mind a bill of sale with my name, phone number and gun info, but that's it. No drivers license no., no home address. I don't need to sell or buy a gun to someone that requires more than that.

I too have bought and sold a lot of guns to guys on here and other local forums, and thankfully have never had a problem.

Same here. I do not need your DL#, license plate #, SS#, etc. ad nauseum. I guarantee you don't need mine. All details will be worked out in advance of a meet. If both parties can't work out said details then I won't meet, you don't need what I'm selling and vice-versa. Period.

There is a common sense component to this procedure.

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: tth_40
There is a common sense component to this procedure.

Thank you! Unfortunately common sense is no longer common among the masses. Those I've met from here all seem capable of it though.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 01:36 PM

I'm meeting up with a THF'er this morning for a FTF gun deal. I think I'll be just fine. Here's a question for y'all. Do you pack heat when doing a FTF?

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
I'm meeting up with a THF'er this morning for a FTF gun deal. I think I'll be just fine. Here's a question for y'all. Do you pack heat when doing a FTF?

Double dog dare you to snap a pic of him with your phone lol.

I pack hear everywhere I go so I guess I've never really thought about it. Yes I carry to every meeting but it's because I am already carrying I don't go out of my way because I think someone from the THF would be a treat.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 06:15 PM

A note about being safe:
---notice---
I will print these beforehand and bring them to the meet up

Pictures?? Really...

I wouldn't buy anything from you.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 06:18 PM

My gun sale procedure:
1. You hand me cash
2. I hand you a gun and count the cash
3. We get in our vehicles and drive away
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/10/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast

I would if it's a new member with a low post count. Otherwise, I would assume that you haven't been on the forum since 2008 and made 4000+ posts just to shaft me in a $1200 gun deal. You could have worked part time in a gas station and made more money than that.
Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/11/15 08:28 PM

i don't do business with people that ask for a bunch of crazy crap.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/11/15 08:37 PM

Yeah that's weird. If someone doesn't think that's weird then they're weird too.
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/11/15 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Yeah that's weird. If someone doesn't think that's weird then they're weird too.

We have become such a digital, electro tech, audio/visual society, I can see the request being made. Used to be cops just wrote a report on say a DWI or PI. If it went to court, your report was all you needed. NOW, we have car dash cams, microphones and body cams. Sometimes seeing ain't believing so audio/visual I understand.
The public demands it in most cases.

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/12/15 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
My gun sale procedure:
1. You hand me cash
2. I hand you a gun and count the cash
3. We get in our vehicles and drive away

Same here
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/15/15 04:57 PM

A note about being safe:
---notice---
---notice---

Pictures?? Really...

I'm sure the folks in the federal government and California would want you to do it this way.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/15/15 06:49 PM

I drove up to the Rockwall area from Bastrop with a pocket full of cash. I met up with three strangers on a remote property so I could test fire to verify operation. I wasn't even a little nervous because the guy who brokered the deal is a regular on here. I met some very nice gentlemen who's handshake actually means something.

We counted the cash on the hood of his car and parted friends. We are Texas residents, so none of us saw any need for paperwork. If I don't feel totally comfortable with the individual on the phone, I back out.

Marc

Re: Buying Firearms - 01/16/15 04:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Marc Kurth
I drove up to the Rockwall area from Bastrop with a pocket full of cash. I met up with three strangers on a remote property so I could test fire to verify operation. I wasn't even a little nervous because the guy who brokered the deal is a regular on here. I met some very nice gentlemen who's handshake actually means something.

We counted the cash on the hood of his car and parted friends. We are Texas residents, so none of us saw any need for paperwork. If I don't feel totally comfortable with the individual on the phone, I back out.

Marc

Thanks Marc grin

I've never traded with you but what you wrote makes lots of sense.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum