Texas Hunting Forum

Caliber for sheep and hogs

Posted By: Hirogen

Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 02:54 AM

My son and I are heading to Texas for a ram and hog hunt in March and wanted some advice on optimal calibers.

We are both hunters but have never hunted ram or hog before (not an option in Ontario).

For myself I was thinking a .308 with a .270 for backup in case I have a problem with the .308.

For my son (15 year old) I was thinking 7-08 with a .243 for backup as he shoots both of these pretty well.

In terms of other options I also own a 35 Whelen, 30-06, 260 rem and a 22-250.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 02:56 AM

Really anything will be fine.

Even the .22-250 will work
Posted By: TCB

Re: Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 02:59 AM

Bring your two favorite guns and post pics afterwards.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 02:59 AM

Yep 243,7-08,260,270 would all be about perfect.

Ed
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 03:03 AM

That 260 and 22-250 seem good already. But I like your style. New hunt, new guns!
Posted By: Brother in-law

I'm not sure what kind of Sheep you're after but if its an aoudad they can be pretty stout.
Posted By: T Bone

Where are you hunting?
Posted By: Wburke2010

When I went on my ram hunt I had my 243 and my dad had his 257 Roberts. The other guys we were hunting with had a 300 win mag and a 270 wssm. My dad was the first to shoot one and I was watching it in my scope. Dad made a good shot and it took two steps. Everyone was saying shoot it again but it was done and went down fast. I took one later with my 243 and the ram ran about ten yards then payed over dead. Really bullet placement with a good shoot is all it takes.

Walter

Re: Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Bullfrog
That 260 and 22-250 seem good already. But I like your style. New hunt, new guns!

I think I have mislead you - I am not buying new guns. I also already own the .308, .270, 7-08, and the .243.

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I'm not sure what kind of Sheep you're after but if its an aoudad they can be pretty stout.

Corsican Ram

Re: Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: T Bone
Where are you hunting?

Hill country along the Guadeloupe River. Can't think of the ranch name off the top of my head - brain fart.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 03:36 AM

Sounds like you have it covered. Remember, bigger is usually better.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 03:50 AM

It might be easier to bring one rifle each and just use the other's rifle as the backup. Easier to fly that way, anyhow. It's not like there's a shortage of rifles here in Texas. I would think that any decent outfitter could get his hands on a couple in a pinch.

Re: Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
It might be easier to bring one rifle each and just use the other's rifle as the backup. Easier to fly that way, anyhow. It's not like there's a shortage of rifles here in Texas. I would think that any decent outfitter could get his hands on a couple in a pinch.

We are driving so airline issues do not apply and no chance of "lost baggage." I love a good road trip, 2.5 days each way plus that way I can pack the caped noggins in ice and save some money on the taxidermy export fees. Only potential hiccup is if ATF does not approve our permit to bring the rifles across the border.

Re: Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 04:38 PM

When I read this the first time, apparently in didn't read it.

Hogs, dot Dogs! Oh well that changes EVERYTHING! Lol
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 04:42 PM

Just eenie-meenie-miney-moe and go. smile

(Although the thought of whomping a hog with a .35 Whelen sounds mighty appealing.....)

Re: Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

(Although the thought of whomping a hog with a .35 Whelen sounds mighty appealing.....)

Don't it tho? Lol
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 05:35 PM

Don't it tho? Lol

S'wut I'm talkin' 'bout. cheers
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Caliber for sheep and hogs - 01/09/15 06:43 PM

Any of the calibers you mentioned should work fine. Bring the guns you are most confident in.

2.5 days each way seems like a long drive. I'd guess about 28 hour drive plus stops.

Originally Posted By: tth_40

Don't it tho? Lol

S'wut I'm talkin' 'bout. cheers

I want to shoot a big one with a .50 Beowulf.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum