Texas Hunting Forum

Bolt action rifle muzzle brake.

Posted By: tth_40

Bolt action rifle muzzle brake. - 01/06/15 05:39 AM

Ok, I've been doing some general internet surfing research on muzzle brakes. Specifically, I'm thinking very seriously about putting one on my .30-'06 T3 for recoil reduction due to increasing shoulder issues.

I've been looking at the different clamp-on brakes like Witt Machine, Coretac, Kahntrol, etc. as well as thread-on brakes. Looking at the reviews I can find, I'm not all that much sold on a clamp-on (aesthetically or performance wise). What seems to be the general consensus out there on a good muzzle brake for general hunting purposes?
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Bolt action rifle muzzle brake. - 01/06/15 06:32 AM

It's easy and inexpensive enough to have one threaded on.
Posted By: Tye

Re: Bolt action rifle muzzle brake. - 01/06/15 09:08 AM

Thread it. Then if you want to run a can, the threads are there smile
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Bolt action rifle muzzle brake. - 01/06/15 02:45 PM

Look in classifieds, $50 out the door for TBHr's...I'd thread IIT if I were you.
Posted By: bside

Re: Bolt action rifle muzzle brake. - 01/06/15 02:47 PM

JP makes a great brake.

Definitely go with threaded -- there's a shop in the classified that will do it for a VERY reasonable fee. You can add something like a Harvester later with the 5/8x24 thread
Posted By: Judd

Re: Bolt action rifle muzzle brake. - 01/06/15 03:03 PM

I'm not a fan of the clamp on. Now there are clamp on that still require threads and the clamp is mainly for timing. I don't like the looks of them but they do work.

Harrells Precision make the best break (just for Chad LOL!) for the money in my opinion. They are half the price of most everything out there and do just as good of a job. Plus, they are an American small business that gets it and really takes care of their customers. It will require threads and blending by a compentent lathe operator.

Word of advice, if you shoot prone make sure to get a ported break versus spiral holes.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Bolt action rifle muzzle brake. - 01/06/15 03:05 PM

the easiest and most effective muzzle brake I used is the GenII little/ micro bastard brakes from American Precision Arm (Jerod Joplin) if your barrel is threaded you don't need a gunsmith to fit or "time" it...... it is well worth the money

https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/products-page/muzzlebrakes/
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Bolt action rifle muzzle brake. - 01/06/15 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: wtjim
Look in classifieds, $50 out the door for TBHr's...I'd thread IIT if I were you.

I didn't see it, who is offering it?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Bolt action rifle muzzle brake. - 01/06/15 10:01 PM

Don't skimp, get it done right
Posted By: hookemhorns

Re: Bolt action rifle muzzle brake. - 01/07/15 12:41 AM

look at the JP enterprise. They are incredible for recoil reduction
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum