Texas Hunting Forum

Question for Winchester loyalists

Posted By: Texas Dan

Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/04/15 07:49 PM

I noticed that Winchester had moved production of the Model 70 from South Carolina to Portugal back in 2013. I also remember when Winchester first turned over production of the Model 70 to Belgian-based FN back in 2007, meaning it was produced at the South Carolina plant for just a few years. After a little more reading, I found the parts for the Model 70 are still produced in the US, but the rifles are assembled in Portugal.

So then, do the rifles being assembled in Portugal carry markings as being made in the US or Portugal? If the current rifles carry Portugal markings, would those marked as being made in South Carolina become more or less valuable?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/04/15 08:56 PM

They are still winchesters.

That's all you need to know.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/05/15 12:17 AM

Maybe someone heading to SHOT Show can ask for you? Or call them? Personally I love the Winchesters.
I had a great M70 Extreme 7mm-08 and now have a Pre-64 in .243, shoots lights out.
Posted By: JJH

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/05/15 01:29 AM

From the Winchester website:

There are no secrets regarding where Winchester firearms are manufactured. The place of manufacture -- including the country -- is included on the barrel roll permanently inscribed on your gun. If you have any questions at all about the origin of your rifle or shotgun, just look at the barrel inscription.

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/05/15 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: JJH

There are no secrets regarding where Winchester firearms are manufactured. The place of manufacture -- including the country -- is included on the barrel roll permanently inscribed on your gun. If you have any questions at all about the origin of your rifle or shotgun, just look at the barrel inscription.

Thanks for the replies.

If that's the case, the barrel on current Model 70's should indicate they are made in Portugal, even though the parts were manufactured in the U.S.

I bought my Model 70 during the years when they were being assembled at the FN plant in South Carolina, which is why it carries "Made in the USA" on the barrel. This being before Winchester moved production to Portugal, my hope is that it will eventually increase its value, just as many Belgian-made Brownings carry a greater value.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/05/15 04:30 PM

Herstal group is best thing to happen to Winny quality.

Only browning guns made in US are the $$$$22 pistols.

The Belgium long spring A5's arent as sought after as the Japanese made ones actually

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/05/15 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: JJH

Thanks for the replies.

If that's the case, the barrel on current Model 70's should indicate they are made in Portugal, even though the parts were manufactured in the U.S.

I bought my Model 70 during the years when they were being assembled at the FN plant in South Carolina, which is why it carries "Made in the USA" on the barrel. This being before Winchester moved production to Portugal, my hope is that it will eventually increase its value, just as many Belgian-made Brownings carry a greater value.

Still trying to understand how a barrel can be manufactured in one place and made in another.

You are chasing your own tail again.....

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/06/15 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Still trying to understand how a barrel can be manufactured in one place and made in another.

You are chasing your own tail again.....

According to Winchester, Model 70 parts are now manufactured in the U.S. and shipped to Portugal for assembly with the final product being shipped back to the U.S.

If you follow the same production model as automobiles, would not the rifles be considered as manufactured where the parts are assembled?

Link

If anyone owns a new and recently purchased Model 70, I would be interested to know what country is stamped on the barrel to identify where it was made.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/06/15 04:18 AM

Mine's USA. Purchased in late 2011.

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/06/15 09:44 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Mine's USA. Purchased in late 2011.

I should have been more specific and asked those who purchased one since assembly was moved to Portugal in 2013.

But thanks for the reply.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/06/15 10:19 AM

What does "Made in" mean? What if every part on a rifle were made in a different country and the rifle assembled in still another country?

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/06/15 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
What does "Made in" mean? What if every part on a rifle were made in a different country and the rifle assembled in still another country?

When it comes to collector value down the road, what's stamped on the barrel can make a significant difference.

I can remember the sales run on certain models several years back when Winchester moved production of certain firearms from its plant in the Northeast.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/06/15 03:28 PM

Might be a dumb question, but I have a Model 70 in .270 and its identical twin brother in .243 inherited from my grandpa. How can I find out the manufacture date on these?

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/06/15 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
Might be a dumb question, but I have a Model 70 in .270 and its identical twin brother in .243 inherited from my grandpa. How can I find out the manufacture date on these?

That's not a dumb question. There are websites that have that information-catalogued by model and serial #. One of the Winchester gurus on here can probably tell you the exact one(s).
Fjestad's "Blue Book of Gun Values" also has that info on certain models.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/06/15 04:04 PM

When it comes to collector value down the road, what's stamped on the barrel can make a significant difference.

I can remember the sales run on certain models several years back when Winchester moved production of certain firearms from its plant in the Northeast.

Only if your looking for parts or never use it and keep it in perfect condition.

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/06/15 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Only if your looking for parts or never use it and keep it in perfect condition.

Realistically, guns are not good investments. Not as bad as vehicles, but if one is really buying something because of it's potential to increase in value-a rifle is not it. Especially today's rifles.

Look at the Pre-64 Winchester Model 70s. Generalizing, if you bought one for $189 in 1955 and it is worth $1500 today-even that is a pretty piss poor investment if making $$ was your goal. And that is a top example.

I doubt just about any rifle made today will even keep up with inflation as far as investment value goes. Any new rifle I buy today is to shoot.
Posted By: JJH

Re: Question for Winchester loyalists - 01/07/15 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985

http://www.winchesterguns.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=296
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum