Texas Hunting Forum

Building off a Model 70 action

Posted By: Teamjefe

Building off a Model 70 action - 12/18/14 12:17 AM

I have a Winchester Model 70 in 223 WSSM that is soon to be useless. They have quit manufacturing ammo and its extremely hard to find and expensive. I used this gun as a truck gun for 4 years and loved it but now need to make a change. Can I just have a new barrel put on in a different caliber? What calibers can I turn this thing into? Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Building off a Model 70 action - 12/18/14 12:39 AM

Is it a M70 with the Supershort action?

Re: Building off a Model 70 action - 12/18/14 01:16 AM

Yes. Am I screwed? I would really like if I could just turn it into a regular 223. I've heard I might have to changed the bolt head and some other parts. Or I sell it to someone who reloads.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Building off a Model 70 action - 12/18/14 02:20 AM

Hope you saved your brass...you are screwed as the action is short ( which is ok), but the feed rails and the bolt face have been opened to the point as it will be useless for any other round.

Ed
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Building off a Model 70 action - 12/18/14 03:17 PM

If you can find brass, you'd be ok. Once fired or new would work, as you can reload these. Search the internet and gun sites for it and place some WTB adds for the brass. If you can't find the brass to make ammo, then a caliber change would be needed. (I'm seeing the same issue with the 25 WSSM stuff)

First, I'd find out if the M70 WSSM action is shorter than a standard 308 action? If it is a shorter action, than that limits you to 223 length rounds (about 2.250"), and not 308 Win length rounds (about 2.800"). If it's a standard short action (308 Win length), you will need to change out the bolt to the proper bolt face size you plan to change to. 223 size or 308 size bolt face. If you change to a smaller diameter round (which is most likely), you will need to upgrade the magazine to feed the smaller rounds. So, it depends on what size of action you really have. Either way, you will have to upgrade the bolt, and magazine system.

On the barrel, if you plan to keep a .224" caliber and you have enough barrel shank left at the chamber end, you can reuse the factory barrel. You will need at least 1.4" to 1.6" of remaining shank to rechamber the factory barrel, maybe more depending on the caliber you go to. Only a gunsmith can tell you this. First is to find out the size of the action. The Rem 700 actions are the same length for a 223 and 308. I just don't know enough about the M70 actions when it comes to the WSSM size case in that rifle.
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Building off a Model 70 action - 12/18/14 03:26 PM

The M70 Super Short action is shorter the the regular 308 sized short action rifle. I know this from shopping for stocks for one of mine. I think you are stuck with it as is. You'll need to start reloading or sell it to someone who does. Surprisingly, some of those are holding value pretty well. Which model is it?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Building off a Model 70 action - 12/18/14 04:59 PM

Surely you can find brass. If you are that fond of the rifle and caliber, and if you can stockpile a good bit of brass, reload for it. Or, get Chad to reload for you.

Re: Building off a Model 70 action - 12/18/14 05:10 PM

Its the Super Shadow model. I would be willing to sell it to someone who reloads for a great price!! Really great price as I do not want to get into reloading. Any takers?
Posted By: jmoore

Re: Building off a Model 70 action - 12/18/14 05:44 PM

Trade it to someone for a .223 maybe?

Re: Building off a Model 70 action - 12/18/14 06:33 PM

I would also trade for a 223 or 22-250 bolt action. This probably needs to move to the classifieds now but I need to take some pics of the gun.
Posted By: slayer12

Re: Building off a Model 70 action - 12/18/14 09:45 PM

I have a bunch of 223WSSM brass I could spare some if you need.
Just shoot me a PM if your interested.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum