Texas Hunting Forum

Berger bullets

Posted By: Drop Tine

Berger bullets - 12/10/14 04:33 PM

Looking for experience and or pics of critters shot with them. Not necessarily high velocity, but I've got a 260 Rem and want to use either 130 or 140 gr VLD's for their high BC. So 2800-3000 fps at the muzzle. I know they are supposed to penetrate 2-3" then grenade, but what happens when a hog or deer shoulder is hit under 100 yards? Any info is appreciated!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 04:44 PM

Would be interested to hear as well.
Posted By: dee

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 04:57 PM

If you are somewhat worried about over expansion you can use the target bullet as they have a thicker jacket.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 05:10 PM

I have shot a few animals. The spike I shot a few weeks ago went in right behind the shoulder and come out the other side right through the shoulder, dead right there. They work and work good for me.

Walter
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 05:13 PM

I've taken a lot of critters with my old 260 Rem with 140 VLD-H. I shot 2 does in about 3 seconds at 90 yards, and both had carnage exit wounds, about the size of a soft ball to a little larger. Both were shot in the shoulder. One I was recovering bullet jacket material in the rear hams. The VLD's will have dramatic fragmentation. It will anchor critters in their tracks. I've taken a few big pigs with them also, and most had no exit wound, but folded on the shot. It is a very effective killing bullet, but does a lot of meat damage. Head shots would be good, if you can make those shots.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Drop Tine
Looking for experience and or pics of critters shot with them. Not necessarily high velocity, but I've got a 260 Rem and want to use either 130 or 140 gr VLD's for their high BC. So 2800-3000 fps at the muzzle. I know they are supposed to penetrate 2-3" then grenade, but what happens when a hog or deer shoulder is hit under 100 yards? Any info is appreciated!

Still performs the same. The 260 and creed aren't hot calibers for say. Now over 3200 it's a different story

Don't use the target vld in the 260 or creed velocity isn't there for optimal impact speed. Have buddy that tried them on game with 6.5-284 and expansion was minimal in fact he got exits

I
Posted By: Judd

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: wburke2010
I have shot a few animals. The spike I shot a few weeks ago went in right behind the shoulder and come out the other side right through the shoulder, dead right there. They work and work good for me.

Walter

Aren't you using the 105 hybrid that you "aren't" supposed to use for hunting smile. I've read nothing but positive reviews of the hybrid staying together if you don't like the way the hunting bullets granade.
Posted By: SenderoTaxi

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 08:32 PM

270 140gr VLD Hunting running almost 3000fps.

Heart shot an antelope at over 300 yards and it had a softball sized exit as it didn't hit any bone on entry.
Shot a few whitetail, axis, and fallow at 100-150 yards in the shoulder and most didn't exit. All but one DRT, the exception ran in a 30 yard circle and dropped.

Very devastating bullets and very accurate

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

Walter

Aren't you using the 105 hybrid that you "aren't" supposed to use for hunting smile. I've read nothing but positive reviews of the hybrid staying together if you don't like the way the hunting bullets granade.

Thought the hybrid was the shape not jacket thickness
Posted By: bside

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 09:01 PM

I've been told that the difference in the hunting and target bullets is that the target bullets have a thicker jacket.
Posted By: old03

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 09:24 PM

Use the Berger HVLD and have no worries, here is the exit wound from a 6.5 140 grain HVLD from my 6.5-06.

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Walter

Thought the hybrid was the shape not jacket thickness

It is but I believe the ones being referred to are of the target type.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 09:55 PM

Aren't all hybrid match bullets at this point?

But Bobo you are right, that is referring to the shape. The hybrids I have seen have all been yellow box and on my 105's it specifically says "not for hunting". However, the guys I've read that are using them say they pack a punch and the jacket is heavy enough they get an exit wound.

Speaking of exit wounds...old03, that's impressive

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 10:11 PM

Aren't all hybrid match bullets at this point?

But Bobo you are right, that is referring to the shape. The hybrids I have seen have all been yellow box and on my 105's it specifically says "not for hunting". However, the guys I've read that are using them say they pack a punch and the jacket is heavy enough they get an exit wound.

Speaking of exit wounds...old03, that's impressive

Gotcha. up
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 10:26 PM

Small Hole

Big Hole

I know, I know its a head shot but still.... what a glorious mess the 185 HVLD at 3010fps makes

Re: Berger bullets - 12/10/14 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I've taken a lot of critters with my old 260 Rem with 140 VLD-H. I shot 2 does in about 3 seconds at 90 yards, and both had carnage exit wounds, about the size of a soft ball to a little larger. Both were shot in the shoulder. One I was recovering bullet jacket material in the rear hams. The VLD's will have dramatic fragmentation. It will anchor critters in their tracks. I've taken a few big pigs with them also, and most had no exit wound, but folded on the shot. It is a very effective killing bullet, but does a lot of meat damage. Head shots would be good, if you can make those shots.

How about the 140 Amax? Same as the Berger?

What do behind the shoulder wound channels look like? With either?

Or the 129 Nosler ABLR? I doubt many have much experience with these, but the Nosler forum guys seem to like them

Bryan Litz tested it and says the actual BC is over .550....not bad for a 130 that holds together much better, but will still expand down to 1300 fps.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Berger bullets - 12/11/14 12:08 AM

I launch 80gr Amax from a 22-250 at 3200fps

here is a 200lb S.TX buck

Here is the inside

I was impressed.... plenty of lung damage. This one of the only deer I've shot behind the shoulder with this gun as I generally split skulls

Re: Berger bullets - 12/11/14 12:55 AM

Here is a exit of a quartering shot with a 162gr Amax. Bullet entered just behind the off shoulder and exited the front brisket/neck area.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Berger bullets - 12/11/14 12:59 AM

I sent some pics of my 130gr kills

Re: Berger bullets - 12/11/14 01:40 AM

Chad......I need some 130's and 140's to see what my gun likes. You have any in stock?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Berger bullets - 12/12/14 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Drop Tine
Chad......I need some 130's and 140's to see what my gun likes. You have any in stock?

Yes, come see me. I have about 10,000 of the 140 VLD hunting bullets. Not too many of the 130's though.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Berger bullets - 12/12/14 08:58 PM

I shot a doe at 100 yards or so right at the base of the neck, she didn't take a step. There was a pencil sized entrance wound and a golf ball sized exit wound. I used the classic hunter 95 gr bullet over IMR 4831.

Awesome accuracy and awesome performance, and Berger also has outstanding customer service if you ever have any questions. I spoke with them several times regarding load development, they were great to deal with.

Berger bullets are winners in my book.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Berger bullets - 12/12/14 09:32 PM

I just put a post in the Ammunition section about a Berger kill. Worked again.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum