Texas Hunting Forum

Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter

Posted By: winner

Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/04/14 07:56 PM

I know they are very different rifles, but these are the two i'm trying to pick between. I love the lever action but want to make sure i'm also getting a very accurate rifle. I want to shoot 2-3" groups at 400 yards with good ammo. Will the browning BLR (specifically BLR Lightweight 308 w/ 20" barrel) compare to a tikka 308 Hunter (20" barrel)? I'm not too concerned with the other items tikka is better/worse at... trigger, weight, etc... I am familiar with tikka's accuracy but not the BLR.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/04/14 08:25 PM

From what I know of both rifles, the Tikka will most probably have a better trigger. It will also be easier to take apart to clean than the Browning. BLR's are a little tricky to get put back together once you get them apart. Inherently, I would assume the BLR would do worse in the accuracy department as they have a barrel band across the barrel and are not free floated. The Tikka generally is. I'm sure there are those out there with different experiences, but for your stated requirements, I'd go with a bolt action.

According to the Tikka website, the Tikka T3 Hunter barrel from the factory is 22-7/16" (570mm).
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/04/14 08:29 PM

Hands down the Tikka. If 1/2 moa groups is the goal, a lever gun should not even be in the mix, especially for longer ranges. The factory Tikka's will shoot sub moa no problem. I have seen a few factory Tikka rifles with custom ammo shoot 1/2 moa. Honestly, it will be mainly down to the shooter. Can the shooter shoot 2" groups at 400 yards. But with good ammo, good shooter, decent scope, 2"-3" groups at 400 is possible with a factory Tikka.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/04/14 08:30 PM

I like bolt guns for most of my hunting.

Even among lever actions, I have never liked the look of BLRs compared to a Winchester or Marlin.

Tikka.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/04/14 08:37 PM

tikka.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/04/14 08:43 PM

Definitely the bolt action, and you better be a pretty good shot to get sub 3/4 MOA at 400 yds.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/04/14 09:03 PM

Bolt gun for hunting. I used to own a 30-30, it was great but accuracy past 200 yards was not very realistic. Lever guns a great if hunting in brush, but for 400 yard shots get a bolt action.
Posted By: winner

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/04/14 09:12 PM

Chad-The ammo better be good. I get all my 308 from YOU!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/04/14 09:12 PM

The BLR is a nice rifle that locks up a lot like a boltaction and can be accurate but on average the Tikka will be more accurate.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/04/14 10:04 PM

I compact BLR with a straight grip is very handy rifle.
Posted By: Texas Bowhunter

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/04/14 10:12 PM

I shoot my tikka 22-250 with a leupold vxlll CDS out to 600 yards very accurately with the right wind. Excellent rifles.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/04/14 10:19 PM

I'd give the Browning a try if I were you. I mean why not?...it's only money. If it doesnt work then sell it and get the Tikka
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/04/14 10:51 PM

The BLRs are great guns just hard to get use to the trigger if your mainly use to shooting bolt guns. Brother and dad have one in a .270 and longevity is a big thing with them... never fail at all
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/04/14 11:29 PM

Since you said 2"-3" groups at 400 yards, Tikka.

A bolt action can be cycled as fast as a lever. Especially a Tikka.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/06/14 09:53 PM

Never heard of Dylan Holsey ???
Posted By: SR025

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/07/14 04:17 AM

Tikka
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/07/14 04:26 AM

Buy both. smile
Posted By: JThoele

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/07/14 04:53 AM

Not to be a broken record with everyone else, but Tikka hands down...
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/10/14 03:36 AM

The BLR look is that of a lever but the action is more a bolt. That being said, asking for guidance and being told stay away from the "lever" gun (because the action is not as good) is wrong. There was one comment about a barrel band which is valid only for older (how old I'm not sure) models. The barrel band may have been done away with when manufacturing went to Japan though that's purely a wild guess. Mine, made in Japan and purchased about three years ago, does not have the band.

I have never shot mine beyond about 200 yards, which is not an issue, but 2-3" @ 400 would not be possible *for me*. If you plan to ever shoot prone then a lever will hinder you.

About the BLR trigger - I think somebody (maybe a couple people?) noted the Tikka trigger would be better. While that may be true I don't have any issue with mine. Short, smooth pull, crisp break.

You won't like taking the BLR down, or at least I don't... so I don't. Mess up the timing and it's going to a smith and maybe not just any. I have heard a story or two of smiths that can't get it right.

I say buy the BLR and if it doesn't entirely suit you, keep it. That's right, keep it. And buy another rifle.

For my typical use I love my 308 BLR.

Posted By: Stormy Weather

Re: Browning BLR vs Tikka Hunter - 12/10/14 07:13 AM

I've owned three BLRs and all could shoot sub MOA, especially with hand loads. Factory triggers are not the best, but Neil Jones up near Erie, PA can adjust the trigger down to about 3 pounds. Cost is $120 and well worth it. I think the Tikka will out shoot the BLR, but not by much. The BLR, on the other hand, will "out fun" almost thing except a good Marlin lever.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum