Texas Hunting Forum

SBR question

Posted By: Mfloski

SBR question - 12/03/14 12:20 PM

If I already own the AR I want to SBR, does an FFL still have to do the form 4 and send in for tax stamp or can I do it all myself??
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: SBR question - 12/03/14 12:26 PM

No, to build one you need to complete a form 1. You can do it online if you have a trust or by mail in if you are doing it as an individual.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: SBR question - 12/03/14 03:13 PM

Form 1 to build an SBR. Form 4 to buy a completed SBR built by someone else. And it's highly recommended to get it engraved before sending the paperwork in case anything goes wrong.

Re: SBR question - 12/03/14 03:34 PM

I thought form 1 limited you to the exact barrel that you file it with? Example; if I have a regular ole AR15 that I want to SBR, but I don't know if it will be a 10" 300BO, or a 8" 5.56, or if next year I want to add another upper to use on the registered lower, etc. I thought that Form 1 doesn't allow you to have this flexibility, and to have that flexibility you needed to register with a form 4 stamp??
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: SBR question - 12/03/14 03:39 PM

You have to specify a barrel length and OAL when you file. You can change the configuration of the gun once you receive your stamp as you like. You must be able to reconfigure it to the specs on your paperwork though.
Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT

Re: SBR question - 12/03/14 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch
Form 1 to build an SBR. Form 4 to buy a completed SBR built by someone else. And it's highly recommended (NOT) to get it engraved before sending the paperwork in case anything goes wrong.

^^^^IS this what you meant to say?

Re: SBR question - 12/03/14 06:20 PM

i think he means to say get it engraved first, that way you know the engraved lower is safely back in your possession before filing for the stamp. If you wait until after you file, and something happens in transit of getting the lower engraved, your SOL.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum