Texas Hunting Forum

Slip-on recoil pads

Posted By: BigPig

Slip-on recoil pads - 11/27/14 05:58 AM

Pachmayr Decelerator or Limbsaver? I'm looking at these for 2 reasons, 1) is for more comfort then the hard rubber on my HS Precision stock, 2) is I need to add a little length of pull.

The butt pad is glued on, I want an adjustable piece but there is no material to screw one to. I know how to accomplish this, just don't see the time needed anytime in the future and need this gun back up and shooting.

Which of the two above pads is the best fit and comfort?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Slip-on recoil pads - 11/27/14 06:10 AM

Have and use both, flip a coin they both work well. Just make sure you get one that fits tight.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Slip-on recoil pads - 11/27/14 04:59 PM

I've got the pachymar. I bought it because I bought a .270 that had a old ragged pad on it. So I took the old one off and just slipped the pachymar on the stock. Works great. I picked the pachymar because it was on sale.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Slip-on recoil pads - 11/27/14 08:54 PM

I have limbsaver on mine. They are great at reducing recoil. They are the prefit replacement not the slip on but I'm sure they perform the same. I am concerned about mine come January when they will sit in the safe untouched for a few months. I have heard that they are so soft they will break down from sitting on them in the safe. We will see. I have considered putting the rifles barrel down but just can't bring myself to do it. Do a little research. Maybe one is better than the other in this aspect.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Slip-on recoil pads - 11/28/14 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: wp75169
. . . . I have considered putting the rifles barrel down but just can't bring myself to do it.. . . .

why not? any residual solvent or oil will run
out of the barrel instead of back down into
the action when stored muzzle down.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Slip-on recoil pads - 11/28/14 02:57 AM

That's a good point. I'm going to look into building a gun rack to work that way.
Posted By: RChipman11

Re: Slip-on recoil pads - 11/28/14 04:58 AM

I prefer the pachmayr that just replaces original. Have used both brands and both work well, but did experience the limbsaver material breaking down and needing replaced. Not so with the pachmayr, at least not to this point.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Slip-on recoil pads - 11/28/14 05:43 AM

Being the slip on Limb Savers and decelerators I use get used on more than one gun it gets taken off when the guns go in the safe so no deterioration in it from sitting on the safe floor. Have several screw on decelerators that have been on guns for years and they still work well. I like the looks of the decelerators better than the limb savers but function wise they are both good.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Slip-on recoil pads - 11/28/14 08:06 PM

I had to return one Limbsaver. Apparently a cleaning solution or lubricant attacked it. Acted like rubber worms would around certain plastics. Cabelas exchanged it but just mention this so you will be aware it could happen. I have heard of other people having this same experience.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum