Texas Hunting Forum

long range magnum cartridge

Posted By: P & Y

long range magnum cartridge - 11/26/14 08:36 AM

Having to change cartridges mid build on a custom. Gotta be long action and magnum bolt face. I already have a bartlein .284 barrel but don't mind getting another. Hunting rifle capable of knocking down everything from moose to bear at distance. Not concerned with factory ammo or component pricing so I'm open to wildcat suggestions. What would you go with and why
Posted By: redchevy

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 01:20 PM

338 win mag if moose and bear size stuff is the goal.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 01:39 PM

To use the barrel 7 STW... If you're bound and determined to do something different, 338 Ultra.

Ed

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 03:26 PM

The rifles main use will be whitetail and elk. My goal is to build one rifle that i enjoy shooting, that will kill anything I may find myself hunting.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 03:36 PM

First, what's "long range"? 300 yards, 500, 800? This answer can determine what may be "best" for you. To me and the NRA's definition is 600 yards and out. So, beyond 600 yards, the 338 WM would not be as effective as a 300 WM, since it's moving much slower with lower BC bullets. The 300WM has a good offering of heavy, high BC bullets. I would hunt anything in N America with my 300WM with a 208 A-max, 225 BTHP, 210 VLD, 230 Hybrid bullet. I like heavy bullets. There is a noticeable increase of energy hitting steel with a 190 grain to a 208 A-max to a 225 BTHP or 230 Berger. The energy is much more noticeable with the heavy bullets, especially 600 plus. My vote is easy- 300 WM.

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 04:02 PM

As far as range, I want the rifle to be effective to a minimum of 500 yds. I will regularly take it out to 1k at the range. Good info so far
Posted By: redchevy

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 04:04 PM

Oops I missed the long range part. Yeah I would probably have to go with chad and say plain ole vanilla 300 wm.
Posted By: dee

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 04:32 PM

7mm rem mag, 7mm SAUM,7mm-300wm, 7mm lrm, 7mm-26 Nosler or 7mm Mashburn
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
First, what's "long range"? 300 yards, 500, 800? This answer can determine what may be "best" for you. To me and the NRA's definition is 600 yards and out. So, beyond 600 yards, the 338 WM would not be as effective as a 300 WM, since it's moving much slower with lower BC bullets. The 300WM has a good offering of heavy, high BC bullets. I would hunt anything in N America with my 300WM with a 208 A-max, 225 BTHP, 210 VLD, 230 Hybrid bullet. I like heavy bullets. There is a noticeable increase of energy hitting steel with a 190 grain to a 208 A-max to a 225 BTHP or 230 Berger. The energy is much more noticeable with the heavy bullets, especially 600 plus. My vote is easy- 300 WM.

X2!!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 04:36 PM

The answer to this is always a 300 Win Mag 1:11" or 1:10", or a 7 Rem Mag with a 1:9" twist, or 1:8.5"

Chad's right about the 300.

I have the 7 Rem Mag pushing 180 Bergers at 3k out of the muzzle. It hits just as hard as the 300 at some distances. I'm with Chad I like heavy, high BC bullets. "Flat shooting" is not in my vocabulary.

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 04:49 PM

I have been looking hard at the 7s but there seems to be a lack of heavy bonded bullets. I was going with the 7mm LRM and backed off because of the case neck tension issues and pre formed crap brass they offer.
Posted By: dee

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 05:17 PM

Long range Accubonds, jlk makes a bonded bullet as well. There is also the Swift Sirocco II.

Why do you want a bonded bullet for long range? Most c&c bullets work great at the lower velocities obtained at distance.

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 05:26 PM

I want the heavier bonded bullets for hunting larger game. I took a look at the 175gr LR Accubond but it doesn't seem like they are readily availible. I should note that I plan on developing two rounds for this rifle. One for smaller thin skinned game and one for larger game.

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 05:42 PM

Hey nothing wrong with a 7mm mag, I tend to like it better than a 300 win mag, if you go 30 go with the weatherby. 7mm mag will kill anything this side of the pond with ease. 7 STW if you want to shoot any of the 180 grain offerings and shoot 700 to 800 yards +. what is your twist on your 7mm barrel? Stick with the barrel you have, go vanilla 7mm mag, and go hunting! No deer, or elk will know the difference between a 168 grain 7mm or a 180 grain 30 cal.

If you divide to go up, go to 338...RUM or 340 weatherby, it's worth it.

Ed

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 06:48 PM

FYI. A good friend of mine has a 7 STW and it's not pushing a 180 gr VLD any faster than my 7 Rem Mag. But my brass is easier to come by.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 07:11 PM

A lot depends on the barrel, some are faster than others, a fast 7mmMag will outrun a slow STW but a fast STW will be faster than a fast 7mmMag. But 7Mag brass is much easier to find.

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 07:17 PM

We were shooting a STW with a 26 in tube at about 3,100 fps with N165 and I think retumbo, I have a friend with a 29 in tube 7stw that will do close to 3200 fps with a 180 bergers. I agree with you we get a solid 2975 fps out of a 7mm mag with ease...and nuge the 3000 fps mark but pressures are getting up there(the pressure is less in the STW)..to me the STW is not worth the extra work, but in long range work the better BC, the faster the lest work it takes to hit.

For the best killing round for big stuff like elk,moose, big African antelope at long range the 338 rum or (338 edge), 340 WBY...do a wonderful job.

Ed
Posted By: wp75169

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 07:42 PM

I say 300-338 WM. Then you can throw that 7mm barrel in the classifieds for us to fight over.

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 08:30 PM

One day I may just build a 338 Lapua Mag loaded with three hundreds.

It will be for those times when it absolutely has to be destroyed! Put a Fat Bastard brake on it and when I touch it off grass will fly, dirt will be excavated, trees will fall over and babies will cry. It'll be awesome!

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/26/14 08:47 PM

You will like the Lapua, it does the job!!! When you start shooting big stuff, it pays to have a big gun! I built a hunter weight RUM, and heavy gun...my friend has a Barrett Lapua, it's a ton of fun!!

Ed
Posted By: wetduck

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/27/14 01:48 AM

340wby
Posted By: 10ring

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/27/14 02:49 AM

Another vote for the 300WM. It will offer a large variety of bullet weights and designs, you can load it to cover a huge variety of applications from fast and lightweight to heavy and hard hitting. The accuracy of the round has been proven time and time again and components are readily available and it will easily harvest any game animals you plan on chasing here in North America.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/27/14 04:55 AM

From the sounds of your situation, I'd go 338 LM over the 300 WM.

Just sounds like more fun to me.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/27/14 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: wp75169
I say 300-338 WM. Then you can throw that 7mm barrel in the classifieds for us to fight over.

+1.

In your original post, you mentioned long-range shooting of bears. If you hunt bears in Alaska, you MUST have a registered guide, and they will not let you shoot at any bear that's far away. There is an old saying that I've heard repeated by every bear guide I've ever worked with: You won't be shooting any bear inside of 50 yards, nor beyond 150 yards. This is sound advice, because the dangerous nature of a wounded bear is something never to trifle with.

The other animals won't be long range propositions either. My four moose have been taken between 10 and 160 yards. My seven caribou have all been under 250. My seven elk have all been inside of 285 yards.

I suppose a guy might have the occasional opportunity to knock off a wolf at long range, or a wounded big game animal might require some finishing-off at some unknown long distance.

Generally speaking, a shooting outfit for out-of-state hunting should be easy to carry and quick to get into your scope crosshairs. A traditional sporter-weight rig with a basic 3x9 scope has a lot to recommend. The scope should be even lower-powered if big bears are on the menu.

And both the .300WM and .338WM with premium bullets like Partitions and A-Frames are just what the doctor ordered. "They always expand, and they always penetrate."
Posted By: warrington

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/27/14 02:07 PM

Does anyone have 284 ammo for sale

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/27/14 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
Originally Posted By: wp75169

+1.

In your original post, you mentioned long-range shooting of bears. If you hunt bears in Alaska, you MUST have a registered guide, and they will not let you shoot at any bear that's far away. There is an old saying that I've heard repeated by every bear guide I've ever worked with: You won't be shooting any bear inside of 50 yards, nor beyond 150 yards. This is sound advice, because the dangerous nature of a wounded bear is something never to trifle with.

The other animals won't be long range propositions either. My four moose have been taken between 10 and 160 yards. My seven caribou have all been under 250. My seven elk have all been inside of 285 yards.

I suppose a guy might have the occasional opportunity to knock off a wolf at long range, or a wounded big game animal might require some finishing-off at some unknown long distance.

Generally speaking, a shooting outfit for out-of-state hunting should be easy to carry and quick to get into your scope crosshairs. A traditional sporter-weight rig with a basic 3x9 scope has a lot to recommend. The scope should be even lower-powered if big bears are on the menu.

And both the .300WM and .338WM with premium bullets like Partitions and A-Frames are just what the doctor ordered. "They always expand, and they always penetrate."

Some true words. I have taken a lot of big game,and I have shot a lot at long distance, Rarely have the 2 crossed Other than some varmints, a couple whitetail, one elk,one eland,and a gemsbok, all have been taken under 250 yards. Most of my hunts have been guided, so I have been put into good situations, and the guide put me into a good suituation to take the game animal. I see you mentioned A 3x9 scope--there is a reason they are popular, they do a lot right. The 2 rifles I have killed the most big game with, are not my long range rigs, but one is a 375 ultra mag with a 1.5x6 VX-7, and the other a blaser r93 with a Swarovski 3x12.. Like I said earlier in a post 7mm mag does a good job on most stuff this side of the pond. Find a good 175 grain pill like a a-frame, partition, or northfork..and go hunting.

Ed
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: best LA Mag bolt face cartridge - 11/27/14 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: warrington
Does anyone have 284 ammo for sale

280 Rem or 284 Win? I can make either.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum