Texas Hunting Forum

Pump or auto

Posted By: Nick1

Pump or auto - 11/22/14 10:16 PM

I am getting a shotgun in the next couple days. Waiting for a sale. It would be my first shotgun. My best buddy is telling me get a rem 870 pump 3 in w/ interchangeable choke. Has had his for 15 years no issues. My brother in law says auto for ease of use, he likes benelli. As a first time SG owner, can someone please explain the pros/cons of each. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Pump or auto - 11/22/14 10:49 PM

Budget?
Hunting or home defense?
Posted By: Nick1

Re: Pump or auto - 11/22/14 10:57 PM

Mostly birds of all kinds. I have several hand guns for hd. Although I wouldn't hesitate to use it for hd. I guess all around gun. I can spend up to 500
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 12:30 AM

Take a look at the 870 Super Mag. It will handle 3-1/2" shells but that doesn't mean you can't shoot 2-3/4" and 3" shells also. You can also get the short barrel and install it when you have a mind the keep it around the house. If you've never fired a 3-1/2" loaded to the gills with No.4 buck, take my word for it...it is beyond formidable!
Posted By: maceman

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 12:42 AM

The pump will last a long time with less maintenance than a semi auto. I have an 870 that I have had for over 25 years and it would be my gun of choice if I ever had to choose just one. I have a slug barrel and a bird barrel with changeable chokes and it has killed everything from a black bear to deer, coyotes,turkeys, pheasants and even a rabbit or 2.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 02:07 AM

Pump or Auto is a tough call, as both work well and in the end, it all boils down to personal preference.

Since you have not developed a personal preference on this matter, I'd go with the opinion of the "expert" who is going to be there to give you a hand if you run across difficulties.

It's really that tough a call.
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 03:02 AM

For birds with a budget of $500, I would probably go with a pump. Reason being, you are going to be limited on choice in an auto with a budget of $500.
Posted By: jab3006

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 03:15 AM

[quote=cyphertext]For birds with a budget of $500, I would probably go with a pump. Reason being, you are going to be limited on choice in an auto with a budget of $500. [/quote

What I was thinking.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Take a look at the 870 Super Mag. It will handle 3-1/2" shells but that doesn't mean you can't shoot 2-3/4" and 3" shells also. You can also get the short barrel and install it when you have a mind the keep it around the house. If you've never fired a 3-1/2" loaded to the gills with No.4 buck, take my word for it...it is beyond formidable!

My opinion as well. I have had my 870 for over 20 years and is trouble free!!!
Posted By: jab3006

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 03:32 AM

Of course you could do what I think is the best, and will make sure you have no regrets. Buy one of each!!!!!!
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 03:44 AM

The Browning BPS (pump) can be had for very reasonable money, if you look around. I have one in 10 ga and I'm very satisfied with it. While I have no need for it, as some point I'll probably pick up a BPS in 16 ga just because I like them.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 03:55 AM

Auto
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 05:10 AM

The newer 870s are not like the older ones.
Posted By: SR025

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 08:07 AM

No good autos in that price range so go with benelli nova pump.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 02:02 PM

My favorite shotgun of all time is a Browning BPS in 20 ga. with a straight grip. The "Upland Special".

It seems like I can't miss with this gun, it handles well and is absolutely beautiful.

Browning BPS Upland Special

The price is very good, for what you wind up with.

$566.00 at Bud's, comes in 12 or 16 gauge too.

Upland Special at Bud's
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 02:14 PM

Yep-wouldn't get an auto with that budget. Yep-the new 870s are OK but nothing like the old Wingmasters. I had a Benelli Nova as a turkey gun-was not impressed. For want of a better description, it was loose and rattled. Just seemed cheaply made.

I would go with the Browning BPS suggested just above. I had no idea you could get them for that price. A bargain for such a good gun IMO.
Posted By: RSTX

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 03:31 PM

I only have one shotgun and it is a Rem 870. I have used it for dove hunting with the 26" barrel but most of the time it has a 18.5" home defense barrel that works great as a snake killer with dove shot. It is very simple, easy to maintain and easy to swap barrels out. The aftermarket is full of products and resale is good. You can find good used ones for $250 or so.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 04:02 PM

This

Originally Posted By: charlesb
My favorite shotgun of all time is a Browning BPS in 20 ga. with a straight grip. The "Upland Special".

It seems like I can't miss with this gun, it handles well and is absolutely beautiful.

Browning BPS Upland Special

The price is very good, for what you wind up with.

$566.00 at Bud's, comes in 12 or 16 gauge too.

Upland Special at Bud's
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Pump or auto - 11/23/14 06:26 PM

Looks like there are some highly esteemed pump guns judging by the responses. I think you've got to decided whether you want to buy it and use it as is or accessorize it. I see a lot more aftermarket stuff for 870s and Mossberg's than the test of them.

No lack of choice here!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum