Texas Hunting Forum

Best functioning semi auto 22.

Posted By: GLC

Best functioning semi auto 22. - 11/30/13 06:45 PM

Looking to start out my older adult daughter on a semi auto 22. Any ones to stay away from? Fail to Fire or Feed, jam, etc. Haven't been around 22's for a while. This will be used for her climb to larger hand guns and will be mainly for target practice and get use to shooting hand guns.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 11/30/13 07:13 PM

Dont know how you could go wrong with the tried and true 10/22
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 11/30/13 07:18 PM

Don't get a Remington

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 11/30/13 07:23 PM

Sorry, was looking info on a 22 semi auto pistol.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 11/30/13 07:26 PM

Browning buckmark, have 2 and love them
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 11/30/13 07:52 PM

Ruger 22/45
Posted By: TheOilman

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 11/30/13 08:05 PM

Beretta Neos .22 is the best

They have a 4" & 6" barrel models It's cheap only $250 at academy . Will shoot any kinda of .22 LR ammo unlike some pistols which are picky. You get 2 clips and a nice hard case. It's got a picatinny rail so you can mount a red dot or some sort of scope if you like. Needless to say I'm very happy with mine.

Don't get a Walter p22 they are way too ammo picky.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 11/30/13 08:35 PM

Ruger 22/45 or Buckmark
Posted By: lharrell79

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 11/30/13 09:12 PM

22/45 or Buckmark. My experience with the Neos is completely different from Haydend's. My Neos was heavy, it would jam about every 100 rounds, the plastic front sight melted to the side, and the polymer frame started to melt in one spot. I only paid 200 buck for it, and sold it for 200. It was a fun little gun, but I felt that it was cheaply made.
Posted By: jlbain94

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 11/30/13 10:53 PM

If you're on a budget, the Savage 64 series are great. Mine has served me well and with a cheap Bushnell 4x, I can hit a coke bottle cap at 50 yards. And I have beaten the tar out of it too.
Sorry, misread your post. Hope you find a good gun!
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 11/30/13 11:03 PM

My Ruger Mark II Target has been an outstanding pistol.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/01/13 12:56 AM

Walther P22 or Ruger 22/45

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/01/13 01:17 AM

No one has mentioned the SIG SAUER Mosquito .22 ?
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/01/13 03:37 AM

I have and like a Mosquito, and it's a good simulation for a centerfire carry piece, but it's ammo picky and prone to jamming. My Ruger Mark II is indestructible and virtually eternal; it's also very ideosyncratic in takedown and reassembly, but I'll live with that.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/01/13 04:32 AM

Ruger MRK II or III will have fewer problems then any other pistol. Also functions with the largest selection of ammo.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/01/13 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Ruger 22/45 or Buckmark

x 2. I personally like the Buckmark better. I would stay away from Sig and Walther, I've heard plenty of bad reviews on those two.
Posted By: Poke81

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/01/13 05:27 PM

22/45 or one of the more obscure S&W offerings. Some of the nicer ones have a hefty price tag but well worth it. The 22/45 has the feel of a 1911 which helps a bit on the move up. I think some of the newer ones will even accept 1911 grips but I might be wrong on that. A lot of companies are making 22lr versions of thier handguns these days. I have a sig 226 22lr that has the beaver tail frame and can put any 226 upper on it.
Posted By: Loden

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/02/13 01:37 AM

beretta neos would be my recommendation. Eats any ammo you feed it, can buy stock to make it a carbine if wanted, rail for scope mounting, $250 at Academy
Posted By: Ekim1966

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/02/13 01:46 AM

I've got a Buckmark that is reliable for the most part. One of my sons has a sig mosquito and it will only shoot round nose high-vel ammo. My other son has a ruger sr22 and it will shoot anything...I would buy the ruger if I were buying.
Posted By: tehachapi

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/02/13 02:17 AM

My Bersa .22 has been more reliable than either my Ruger .22/45 or my Browning Buckmark.
Posted By: sillyhorses

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/02/13 02:30 AM

I've had or shot 'em all (nearly) and I'm telling you to check out the new ruger sr22. The neos is nice, but heavy & cumbersome. Walther is picky with ammo, as a few others. Buckmark is a killer to clean and may be heavy for a girl. You got to get her a SR22 made ruger tough, and it comes in different colors that a girl would enjoy shooting. My stainless model is the cats' me-ow!!!
Posted By: Friction

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/02/13 05:57 AM

Originally Posted By: sillyhorses
I've had or shot 'em all (nearly) and I'm telling you to check out the new ruger sr22. The neos is nice, but heavy & cumbersome. Walther is picky with ammo, as a few others. Buckmark is a killer to clean and may be heavy for a girl. You got to get her a SR22 made ruger tough, and it comes in different colors that a girl would enjoy shooting. My stainless model is the cats' me-ow!!!

im not familiar with the sr22 but one thing that will prolly benefit a shooter with small hands is the the gun comes with two interchangeable grips from a slim to wide palm swell.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/features.html
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/02/13 06:32 AM

Do the .22 conversion kits not work well for the Glock or maybe even a 1911?
Posted By: bluelund79

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/02/13 06:40 AM

I had a Ruger 22/45 and it was very ammo sensitive, but so is my Sig Mosquito. However, the Ruger only ran on the expensive stuff, where the Sig likes the Remington Golden bullets. My Dad's Ruger mark 1 will run any 22lr you put in the magazine. Wish I could've been more help, but I'd plus one for the Browning Buckmark, or any Ruger other than the 22/45. The newer Ruger SR22 pistol has gotten some good reviews as well
Posted By: BobG

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/02/13 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC
No one has mentioned the SIG SAUER Mosquito .22 ?

And for good reason. Lots of issues with this little guy.

22/45 gets my vote. Or anything ruger. The 22/45 would likely be better since its got more of a traditional pistol grip.
Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/02/13 10:18 PM

skeeters usually only like CCI mini-mags. My vote goes to ruger for a 22/45. Never had an issue
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/02/13 10:23 PM

It is a bit more expensive, but I love my dedicated Kimber 22.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/02/13 10:29 PM

On conversion kits: I have only used the Sig P226 conversion. It generally doesn't like Remington Golden. It has done very well with Winchester High Velocity and Federal AutoMatch. I haven't been able to get my hands on much else....

That said, I am also in the market for a .22lr pistol. I'm leaning toward the SR22; but I've seriously considered just getting an LCR.
Posted By: 70elcamino

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/03/13 12:52 AM

I like the Ruger MK I, II, and III's. And also really like my Beretta Neos. Never had any of them act ammo picky at all.
Posted By: FlowerOf Life

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/12/13 03:46 AM

i had a little browning 1911 22 lr compact...thing ate everything i put in it..shot a few thousand rounds without incident..fun little gun when it wasnt throwing burnt powder in your eyes, accurate too..traded it for a marlin model 39 and havnt looked back..
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/12/13 04:03 AM

I just ordered the Kimber Custom II with the .22 conversion kit and Crimson Trace Laser Grips. I shot a buddies and it was sweet!
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/12/13 05:09 AM

What would one of those run? With my brothers boys starting to get into shooting age, I'd like to let them shoot some with me.
Posted By: splash556

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/12/13 12:05 PM

I've had a S&W Model 41 forever. Never had a malfunction that I can think of. Still my favorite .22 handgun to shoot.
Posted By: coonsaw

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/12/13 05:15 PM

i bought a sig mosquito last year on an impulse buy...it is a piece of crap. i have tried almost every ammo i can find in it and sometimes it likes them and sometimes it does not. will not eject. sucks. stay away from them.... i mean...wait...i have a sweet like new sig 22 mosquito, beautiful, with very few rounds down the pipe i will sell you.

coonsaw
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/12/13 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: coonsaw
i bought a sig mosquito last year on an impulse buy...it is a piece of crap. i have tried almost every ammo i can find in it and sometimes it likes them and sometimes it does not. will not eject. sucks. stay away from them.... i mean...wait...i have a sweet like new sig 22 mosquito, beautiful, with very few rounds down the pipe i will sell you.

coonsaw

Try the cheap Remington Thunderbolts. They're the only ones I could get to consistently cycle and it has been the best gun since I figured that out!
Posted By: booradley

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/13/13 12:49 AM

I have heard many bad things about the Mosquito but have no personal experience with them. Had a 22/45 and really liked it. It was stolen and I replaced it with a Buck Mark Camper which I like much better. Neither the Ruger nor the Browning were fussy about ammo. I firmly believe that some pistols in each brand are fussy and some are not. It is the luck of the draw.

Why don't you take her shopping and let here choose the one that feels good. You might be surprised. When I took my daughter to get her first CC gun I showed her every .380 that I could find. She chose a Stoeger Cougar. 9mm which surprised me but she has been carrying it now for two years.

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/13/13 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: fatpratt96
What would one of those run? With my brothers boys starting to get into shooting age, I'd like to let them shoot some with me.

About $1600 after tax at full price with all three pieces (45 custom II, 22 conversion kit and crimson trace).
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/13/13 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by FlowerOf Life
i had a little browning 1911 22 lr compact...thing ate everything i put in it..shot a few thousand rounds without incident..fun little gun when it wasnt throwing burnt powder in your eyes, accurate too..traded it for a marlin model 39 and havnt looked back..

I have the sig 1911-22 and I like it ok. But if I had it to
do over I would get the Browning compact 1911-22. It feels
like a much higher quality gun than the Sig (which is really ati/gsg).

The Sig is ok and it functions great, but I'd spend the extra for the Browning.

[video:youtube]MawECxA4aGQ[/video]

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/13/13 02:27 AM

If you just want the 22 part of the pistol and value, the browning buckmark 22 is hard to beat. If you want the conversion kit, Kimber is the way to go IMO.
Posted By: OldTexan

Re: Best functioning semi auto 22. - 12/13/13 08:14 PM

I have have a number of semi auto 22's.

The Mosquito is ammo finicky as it requires a 1200fps round minimum to cycle correctly. Mini mags work well. I keep mine by the back door loaded with CCI Stingers and use it to shoot varmints getting into the garden. Accurate but likes small hands. It wouldn't be a gun of choice if I had of thought it out better.

Ruger 22/45 Mk III's are great pistols. Come in several grades and all but one model have 1911 removable grips. The Lite now comes in black and is a easy shooter. Lots of choices and the ones I have eat most all ammo. They are a pain to reassemble after break down until you figure out the tricks. Change out the trigger bushing and the mag release and it makes it much easier.

The SR22 is a neat little gun and eats most ammo reliably as any. It would be a good gun for a young girl to start out with.

Several new models in the 1911 style I haven't shot, but the look like good guns. I'd be curious about how they cycle as with the Mosquito. Lil' 22LR's don't have the kick to cycle heavier slides it seems. Ruger and Browning seem to have this issue solved though.

I'm not much on the 22LR conversions kits for 1911's. The cost is more than a good 22LR semi, so why????? Just to get practice with your 1911 with cheaper ammo? Not following that line of thought as the 22LR shoots way different that a 45ACP.

I'm pro 22/45 MKIII, but there are a number of good choices. Shoot a few and let her decide.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum