Texas Hunting Forum

Browning or Ruger

Posted By: txbowhunter75

Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 02:57 AM

I'm looking to buy a 6.5 credmoor and they only make it in 4 different makes and they are Browning,Ruger,Savage,and Thompson Center. My top 2 choices are the Browning and Ruger. The Browning is in a A-bolt II long range hunter in blued synthetic w/a 26" barrel. The Ruger is a m-77hawkeye in Matte Stainless synthetic w/a 24"barrel. Both are awesome shooters and good quality rifles and both fit her about the same. I have just never owned a centerfire rifle in either make. So i'm having a hard time trying to decide. Please give any info and insight to help me decide.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 03:22 AM

Love my A-bolt in 30.06., never a problem in about 15 years. Never owned a ruger but I know u can't go wrong with a Browning.
Posted By: tetralaw

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 03:39 AM

Browning Abolts are underrated I feel. They may not have a huge aftermarket like a Remington but for a purpose rifle from the factory, it's what I would pick of the two.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 06:25 PM

I loved both of my Abolts. Adjustable trigger that breaks like glass and the wood stock models come factory glass bedded.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 07:32 PM

If this is a hunting rifle that will be carried and/or used from a blind I would go with the Ruger. Those 2 extra inches make a difference in carrying around and in getting out windows for shooting.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 07:32 PM

Since it is for the lady, you might want to let her make the choice.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 07:35 PM

I am a die hard Ruger fan. I say go with the Ruger.

Never had a lick of trouble out of the A-Bolts......I just like Ruger.
Posted By: mustafa

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 07:40 PM

id gow with savage out of that group.
Posted By: bass461

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 08:10 PM

Handloader magazine had a article on the 6.5 and says the Ruger is extremely accurate
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 08:14 PM

I vote Ruger

If you want a bomb proof hunting rifle thats accurate; its hard to beat a M77 Stainless.
Posted By: Adelbridge

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 08:47 PM

might be moot if Ruger doesnt have any product in the channel
Posted By: Chopped54

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 08:55 PM

Browning
Posted By: Kawabuggy

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 09:53 PM

I own quite a few Brownings and have recently bought a few Rugers. I find the Brownings to be just a tad bit more accurate than the Rugers, but it is so small a difference that it really should not be considered. I really like the stainless Rugers with the laminate stocks. They are a bit heavier than the Brownings though as all the Brownings that I own have sporter weight barrels, and the Rugers seem to have a heavier barrel that tapers down towards the muzzle, but still heavier than the Brownings by at least a pound, maybe more.

If you will be doing a lot of walking with the rifle, go Browning. If stand sitting, or not a lot of carrying-go Ruger. If you like really pretty rifles, go Ruger. If you are the type that worries about nicks & scratches, go Savage!
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: txbowhunter75
I'm looking to buy a 6.5 credmoor and they only make it in 4 different makes and they are Browning,Ruger,Savage,and Thompson Center. My top 2 choices are the Browning and Ruger. The Browning is in a A-bolt II long range hunter in blued synthetic w/a 26" barrel. The Ruger is a m-77hawkeye in Matte Stainless synthetic w/a 24"barrel. Both are awesome shooters and good quality rifles and both fit her about the same. I have just never owned a centerfire rifle in either make. So i'm having a hard time trying to decide. Please give any info and insight to help me decide.

I love them old tang safety Rugers, put a good trigger in them and they'll shoot with the best, but I have to admit the Browning is a sleeker and better looking rifle.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/05/12 10:20 PM

My primary hunting rifle is a Browning. I love everything about the functionality of the rifle. It ain't pretty. It's a Composite Stalker and the 2nd one I've owned. Bolt functions smooth and the adjustable trigger is excellent.

I also own an old tang safety Ruger M77 and an old Ruger #1. Love both of them. They're both shooters and I have no hesitation taking either to the stand.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with either choice.
Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/06/12 10:45 AM

I've owned both and have always been a Browning fan, however, I had a Stainless that had a bbl so rough inside it felt like plowed ground when you would run a patch thru it..I spent about a
yr and a lot of money trying to make it shoot and finally sold it
when I got it to 1 1/2 in groups..I've owned several Rugers..mostly SS and all shot, as did my SS Brownings..I get what fit her best depending on useage and her frame..DD
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/06/12 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
If this is a hunting rifle that will be carried and/or used from a blind I would go with the Ruger. Those 2 extra inches make a difference in carrying around and in getting out windows for shooting.

+1. If you plan to hunt from a box blind or cab of a vehicle, you will want the shorter barrel; that's a no-brainer. Otherwise, try to handle and dry-fire both rifles and see which one most stirs your juices to start flowing. I've owned rifles of both iterations and prefer the Ruger, but only by a whisker. Unlike some other posters here, I've spent hours of frustration adjusting A-Bolt triggers, but obviously, YMMV.

BTW, you cannot run fast enough to GIVE an Alaskan an A-Bolt. The trigger assembly is notorious for freezing up and rusting up in that harsh northern climate. I know; I've been up there 14 times.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/06/12 10:14 PM

I've got an old Ruger Liberty model that's been thrown off a horse with me, rolled down a snowy mountain, and it still shoots better than I can. A good shooting, rugged, rifle.
Posted By: Wstxhunter

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/07/12 05:13 PM

Always been a ruger fan, got several of em and have never been dissapointed!!
Posted By: 482camaro

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/07/12 05:24 PM

Ruger
Posted By: MTN_HUNTER

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/09/12 05:09 PM

I'd go with the ruger also, have had really good luck with the M77 platform. I'm actually wanting to pick up a M77 predator in .243 if I can find one for the right price.
Posted By: thedoveshooter

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/09/12 05:12 PM

I wouldn't think twice about Ruger.
Posted By: tlewi24

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/09/12 05:46 PM

My Abolt 270 is my primary deer gun and has been a great gun, but I just recently picked up an m77 25-06 that i can't wait to shoot. I've always been a fan of he rugers in smaller calibers.
Posted By: thedoveshooter

Re: Browning or Ruger - 09/10/12 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Since it is for the lady, you might want to let her make the choice.

BINGO!

Let her decide. They are both good rifles.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum