Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 02:15 AM

How would you folks compare, Remington 700. vs. Browning
x. or a-bolt.
?
Not much difference in price.
Thank you.

Posted By: dee

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 02:39 AM

Which model 700 the Browning's can be pretty pricey.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 02:43 AM

1. Remington 700
2. A-bolt
3. X-bolt

imho

Posted By: watchale

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
1. Remington 700
2. Remington 700
3. Remington 700

imho

I fixed it grin

Posted By: scot

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 02:58 AM

Neither savage >all...

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 03:01 AM

SAKO

Posted By: maximum

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 03:02 AM

i don't shoot bolt actions
(does that count?)

you should buy whatever you
feel comfortable with

Posted By: senko86

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 03:11 AM

I like the Remington 700, so many after market options compared to the others

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 03:17 AM

Have only owned one A-Bolt and no X-Bolts so not a lot to judge by. But I like them better than a lot of the Remington 700s. For a rifle to do custom build from go with the Remington action for just shooting a factory rifle I do not think it matters much between them and none of the ones mentioned are on my current want to buy list.

Posted By: statesman

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 04:25 AM

If you want a rifle that you can bolt a bunch of useless garbage on, that isn't free floated, bedded, or as accurate as most people say they are, then buy a 700. If you want a well built rifle, that is capable of 1.5 MOA or better out of the box, with darn near any ammo, then buy a Browning A-Bolt. BTW, they are bedded, free floated, and accurate as hell out of the box. All a bone stock Browning A-Bolt needs is a good set of optics, factory ammo, and set of quality mounts, and you are hunting.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: statesman
If you want a rifle that you can bolt a bunch of useless garbage on, that isn't free floated, bedded, or as accurate as most people say they are, then buy a 700. If you want a well built rifle, that is capable of 1.5 MOA or better out of the box, with darn near any ammo, then buy a Browning A-Bolt. BTW, they are bedded, free floated, and accurate as hell out of the box. All a bone stock Browning A-Bolt needs is a good set of optics, factory ammo, and set of quality mounts, and you are hunting.

Don't forget a trigger job and it is devotedly no better than a remy up

Posted By: dee

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 07:41 AM

Originally Posted By: statesman

What is useless garbage?

Being the op is looking at Xbolts in his search one can only assume the price area is around $1000 which is well into a nice upper tier Remington as in a Sendero or CDL SF which will typically shoot as accurate as people say. To blindly say Remington owners are lying about accuracy claims is a pretty bold lie on your part when most all brand rifles will shoot better than the person operating them.

The Browning's are nice rifles and have a nice feature of shorter bolt throw and some have a factory DBM if you like that idea, if I were looking into rifles in that price area the new FN Winchesters would definitely be getting a look.

Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 12:21 PM

I've owned several brownings in the past and killed numerous critters with them, but sold them all. Now all my bolts are Remington, Tikka, or Rugers. Just never got the accuracy I wanted out of the Browning's considering what they cost. They look good though.

Posted By: wp75169

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 01:39 PM

If function plays into your search I would look at tikka. They will generally outshoot either one listed right out of the box and definitely have a better factory trigger and bolt than either. Down side is they are rather ugly and have a lot of plastic on them.

Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 04:36 PM

To me, it comes down to a question of what you want out of the gun.
If you don't plan on any future mods and want a good out-of-the-box hunting rifle, either Browning.
If you want a custom rifle that is unique, Remington.

Posted By: maximum

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 04:44 PM

i'd go with the encore. . . .

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 04:52 PM

Abolt then 700. just alot smoother imo.....stay away from xbolt

Posted By: Lochsley123

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: watchale
Originally Posted By: rifleman
1. Remington 700
2. Remington 700
3. Remington 700

imho

I fixed it grin

up

I have owned A Bolts and I was not happy with them. Had a stainless stalker that would only shoot 1.5" groups with hand loads. May be I've just had bad luck but a Remington 700 has never let me down.

Posted By: 4X4FOREVER

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 05:59 PM

Made in japan vs made in USA.

Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 05:59 PM

How about Weatherby?

peep stir

But seriously, I think that go with 700 for custom builds and browning for factory.

Posted By: 4X4FOREVER

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: West...
How about Weatherby?
Also made in japan,though the Mark v is still home grown.
peep stir

But seriously, I think that go with 700 for custom builds and browning for factory.

Posted By: hawk

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 06:09 PM

I've had both. All Browning at present. Either is good. For me I prefer the Browning.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 08:49 PM

Last I heard the xbolts were having heck with extractors, remmy 700 just has so many options, from semi-cheap to being ordered from their custom shop.

Posted By: hwillliams88

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Abolt then 700. just alot smoother imo.....stay away from xbolt

X2

Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: 4X4FOREVER
How about Weatherby?
Also made in japan,though the Mark v is still home grown.
peep stir

Yeah, I know. And you posted in the wrong thingy

Weatherby Vangaurd=Howa 1500

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 10:46 PM

How about Weatherby?

peep stir

How about you don't know what your talking about, but seriously you just say what you have read.

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 11:08 PM

any of em cold hammer forged?

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/14/12 11:14 PM

in that range id get a savage model 384

Posted By: tlewi24

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/15/12 02:29 AM

No future modifications then the A-Bolt, good out of the box for years. If you think there may be future upgrades then I'd prolly go with the 700 it'll be awesome for along time and about the most flexible bolt gun out there.

Posted By: turbotj

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/15/12 03:08 AM

LOVE MY A-Bolt 7-08, $500 BUCKS at Bass Pro and I think Browning is paying sales tax this month....hard to beat! Want to spend a little extra buy the Tikka...my next out of the box rifle!

Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/30/12 12:38 AM

I have the Browning White Gold Medallion in 7mm Rem Mag and it is the finest bolt action rifle that I have ever owned. It came near custom in a nice wood glass-bed stock and the action is amazing.

I own several Rem 700s as well and while very nice, they just don't compare.
Posted By: Wildhorse

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/30/12 01:33 AM

If I had to choose between the two I'd choose Remington because it doesn't use a polymer magazine. Browning also changes the design of their rifle once in a while making continued widespread aftermarket support for their rifles and eventual concern since the old models eventually will become obsolete. Remington have remained essentially unchanged for a long time now so continued and widespread aftermarket support is a certainty.

Recently though I have passed them both over for Weatherby Vanguard/Howa rifles because they represent all of the quality of either rifle at a much lower price. The fit and finish of the Vanguard is superior in my estimation to any Remington in the same price range and their continued popularity means that aftermarket support for things like stocks is even greater than that for the Browning.

I am also seriously looking at some of Savage's new products since I've recently seen them take a REAL big step up in quality.
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/30/12 10:59 AM

Posted By: Wildhorse

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/30/12 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by vanguard

Interesting video. I wonder if and/or how the maker eliminated certain scientific variables. I looked at the youtube page and it didn't look like he explained much. I wonder if he controlled for variables including chamber wall thickness, caliber, condition of the bore, standard maximum pressure, etc.

Most notably none of the rifles "disassembled" at the action but instead split barrels. That was what made me wonder if perhaps the Remington and Browning were shooting larger bore or magnum calibers and perhaps, making chamber walls thinner, and perhaps the others were shooting calibers leaving more chamber wall.

I'll see if I can't dig out any more specifics but, even though I have largely begun to prefer Vanguard rifles for the value and features they offer, I wouldn't let this put me off purchasing a Browning or Remington if I really had my heart set on one, unless I knew that the video was produced in a controlled scientific manner.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 08/30/12 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt Craig
I have the Browning White Gold Medallion in 7mm Rem Mag and it is the finest bolt action rifle that I have ever owned. It came near custom in a nice wood glass-bed stock and the action is amazing.

I own several Rem 700s as well and while very nice, they just don't compare.

It's funny I have a Browning medallion abolt in 300mag and its the worst gun I own accuracy wise. My best friends 270wsm abolt is a shooter. Browning as one of the smoothest action in a mass produced rifle IMO, My issue with Browning is the terrible trigger and lack of aftermarket stocks. Unfortunately all my rem. Will out shoot my 300mag abolt and 2 out of three will out shoot my buddies abolt.

As far as vangaurd good gun/value for what it costs. It's not my favorite but I've never shoot any $400 rifle of the self and been overwelled by it.

The sleeper of the mass produced is the new fn made Winchester. Hell of a gun.

On any of the upper end mass produced guns, you might as well spend a touch more and get a custom or Cooper IMO. You will be much happier in the long run
Posted By: Wstxhunter

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 09/07/12 05:34 PM

I really like the rem 700's.
Posted By: KC

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 09/08/12 12:51 PM

I have two A-Bolts and I have never been disappointed. Ultra smooth bolt, both shoot way better than I ever will. I almost grabbed another one last week- Buds has the composite stalker for $497 delivered.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 09/08/12 01:19 PM

I like both, but will always go with Remington from now on. Because, if your Father in Law drops a Remington out of a 16-18 foot tripod and breaks the stock in half, the Remington won't cost you a minimum of $450 (and up) for a new stock.
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 09/08/12 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: jdk1985
I like both, but will always go with Remington from now on. Because, if your Father in Law drops a Remington out of a 16-18 foot tripod and breaks the stock in half, the Remington won't cost you a minimum of $450 (and up) for a new stock.

If you paid $450 for a browning stock, you got suckered. I can get White Medallion stocks for less than $250 and that is the highest gradeof wood browning uses on bolt actions.
Posted By: 30378

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 09/08/12 01:31 PM

The problem with a Browning comes if you ever want to change the barrel. Browning puts barrels on with some kind of stickimus maximus that make removing the barrles very difficult. There are instances where removing the barrel actually end up twisting the action.

Remingtons are decent actions and there are a lot more add-ons availible.

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 09/08/12 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
Originally Posted By: jdk1985

If you paid $450 for a browning stock, you got suckered. I can get White Medallion stocks for less than $250 and that is the highest gradeof wood browning uses on bolt actions.

Browning actually gave me a really good deal at the end of the day (I did not pay that much).

BUT, the $250 stock is probably only semi-inletted (right?). Add in the time to inlet and bed the stock to a magnum caliber (if the person knows how), or the money to pay a good gunsmith to do it, and the price is no longer $250.

On the other hand, when I posted a while back for a few weeks looking for a stock, why the heck didn't you speak up?!? smile

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 09/08/12 04:51 PM

I buy stocks mainly from Gunbroker and Boyds, you can find alot of take offs that are ready to go on gunbroker.

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 09/08/12 06:27 PM

Boyds had some semi-inletted ones I saw. I could only find one Browning stock on Gunbroker. I bought it to try to inlet and refinish it myself. When I started to strip the finish, a 5" long crack raised up in the checkering. I said "forget it" but not in such nice of terms and called Browning.

Re: Browning vs. Remington? - 09/08/12 09:55 PM

If you rifle is the stock rifle, Boyd's inlet is often really dang close. I have done 3 boyds stocks and it never took anything more than wrapping the right size socket in sand paper and 10-15 minutes of work.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum