Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 01:37 AM

Looks good

Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 01:47 AM

Tanner that thing is sick.

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 02:11 AM

Yep, Ya done gooder!

What about ARP 223 barrel, when it expected?

Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 02:25 AM

Barrel got in today as well and it's installed with a YHM suppressor mount. Man it looks funny with the pencil barrel and the YHM mount. Those things sure aren't pretty but it will be when I screw something on it!

I had to bust out the dremel on the seekins rail to get it to slide over the billet upper. The upper reciever is WAY thicker/wider and the rail wouldn't slide over it, but I made it fit .

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 02:26 AM

That barrel is LIGHT isn't it?

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: RWH24
That barrel is LIGHT isn't it?

Supa dupa light! I was like WOW

My wife said "that looks funny " cause how skinny it is

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 02:36 AM

This is the spikes with arp 223 and the mega 6.8

Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 02:40 AM

NICE!!

Posted By: Nontypical3006

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 02:56 AM

I've caught the AR bug and those two are sweet! I've gotta work a few extra days to have a little extra $$$$$$ to finish up my lower!

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 03:06 AM

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Nontypical3006
I've caught the AR bug and those two are sweet! I've gotta work a few extra days to have a little extra $$$$$$ to finish up my lower!

Here is the last of the family, and should be the most quiet! Finally found an optic that looks/feels halfway decent on it last week

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: tannerlst
Originally Posted By: Nontypical3006

Here is the last of the family, and should be the most quiet! Finally found an optic that looks/feels halfway decent on it last week

Is it legal to have a Magpul AFG grip on an AR pistol?....or do you have it registered as an SBR?

Just curious...

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer

Is it legal to have a Magpul AFG grip on an AR pistol?....or do you have it registered as an SBR?

Just curious...

Yes sir it's the only legal foregrip u can use

Posted By: Ross Precision Gunworks

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 12:53 PM

Not sure who told you an AFG was legal to add to a pistol but according to the ATF letter " Adding a vertical foregrip to a handgun" dated May 4, 2006, it makes no distinction between foregrips.

The letter states a pistol is a weapon designed to be fired from one hand. Therefore adding any foregrip changes the weapon to a NFA classified " AOW" requiring it to be registered as an NFA item.

I might remove that grip and picture or file a form 1 or 4 to make it legal. Just don't want to see you get in trouble.

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 01:04 PM

Letter from the ATF on AFG's

Posted By: Ross Precision Gunworks

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 01:21 PM

Good to know I stand corrected. Hopefully the ATF would accept this letter for any user, not just the one the letter was addressed to.

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 01:33 PM

No problem, only reason I knew was I did a ton of research when I was thinking of building my pistol.

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 02:49 PM

Yup I made sure before I slapped that sucker on , ill send in for sbr stamp VERY soon, as soon as my stamp for my can shows up

Of all people I would figure Ross would be one to know the afg was legal.... Learn something new everyday

Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 03:39 PM

got nice little AR family going, looks solid

Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 03:50 PM

List of parts

-Mega billet side charging upper
-Young MFG. Bcg with Spikes 6.8 bolt
-Mega billet charging handle
-WOA 16" 6.8spcII bead blasted barrel mid- length gas
-DPMS mid-length gas tube
- Seekins MCSR 15" rail
-Seekins adjustable low profile gas block
-YHM phantom suppressor mount/flash hider

-Mega billet GTR-3H lower reciever w/ambi bolt release
-Mega billet trigger w/ JP trigger spring
-KNS anti roll trigger pins in od green
-Spikes billet mag release button
-Spikes LPK minus the FCG
- MOE rubberized grip od green
-Magpul ACS stock od green

Only thing it's missing is a YHM suppressor mount

That thing is nice!!

I gotta get me one of those.

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 04:33 PM

Start saving it deffinately wasn't a cheap build !

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 05:46 PM

I like the looks of the Seekins Rails, they are just too big in diameter for me.

From shooting shotguns I guess. Hand closer to the bore.

Posted By: Brandon972

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Ross Precision Gunworks
Hopefully the ATF would accept this letter for any user, not just the one the letter was addressed to.

So why would it be an issue ? Everyone that uses an AFG on an AR pistol has to carry a letter of approval from the ATF ? Clearly their stance on the subject is that an AFG is legal on a pistol...

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 05:58 PM

I like the looks of the Seekins Rails, they are just too big in diameter for me.

I really like the other one seekins makes with the flat bottom for 3 gun but it won't fit a suppressor under it. Plans are to sbr this 6.8 and have the can sticking out just a few inches out of the rail. Mscr stands for modular combat/competition suppressor rail , so most all suppressors should fit inside it . I wanted the skinny Troy rail but everyone and their mom has one and it won't fit a suppressor

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 06:00 PM

Good to know about the AFG....I might have to build a pistol now!!

Posted By: BCJ

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 06:09 PM

Good to know I stand corrected. Hopefully the ATF would accept this letter for any user, not just the one the letter was addressed to.

There is an additional letter clarifying that a pistol over 26" long with a vertical grip is not an AOW. Most AR pistols are long enough to meet that as well.

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon972
Hopefully the ATF would accept this letter for any user, not just the one the letter was addressed to.

So why would it be an issue ? Everyone that uses an AFG on an AR pistol has to carry a letter of approval from the ATF ? Clearly their stance on the subject is that an AFG is legal on a pistol...

Brandon, You know how the feds work.....

Right and left hand do not shake or know what the other one is doing.....

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 08:29 PM

I really like the other one seekins makes with the flat bottom for 3 gun but it won't fit a suppressor under it. Plans are to sbr this 6.8 and have the can sticking out just a few inches out of the rail. Mscr stands for modular combat/competition suppressor rail , so most all suppressors should fit inside it . I wanted the skinny Troy rail but everyone and their mom has one and it won't fit a suppressor

I see where you are going now....with the suppressor inside under the rail...

I see said the blind man..

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/26/12 08:57 PM

Should look similar to this but even better, about a year from now! Lol

Posted By: Brandon972

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/27/12 12:06 AM

Your right they don't all seem to be on the same page...confused2

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/27/12 12:16 AM

Big thanks to Morgan (dallasshootingsupply) and Brandon972 , and rainier arms for getting me most the stuff I needed to build this thing !!!!!!!!! This was my first actual complete build, and deffinately the nicest gun I own . My old 6.8 had quite a few kills on it so I'm anxious to get out and get its first blood!!!

Posted By: Lochsley123

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/27/12 05:56 PM

Big thanks to Morgan (dallasshootingsupply) and Brandon972 , and rainier arms for getting me most the stuff I needed to build this thing !!!!!!!!! This was my first actual complete build, and deffinately the nicest gun I own . My old 6.8 had quite a few kills on it so I'm anxious to get out and get its first blood!!!

That thing is a beast!!

My receiver came in this morning so I should have your old barrel on it this weekend. Can't wait to get rolling on this new upper.

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/28/12 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Lochsley123\

That thing is a beast!!

My receiver came in this morning so I should have your old barrel on it this weekend. Can't wait to get rolling on this new upper.

Hope ur son enjoys it as much as I did !

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/29/12 02:22 AM

Just ordered some 120sst hornady rounds and I all ready have some 110vmax. Thinking about ordering some SSA ammo to try just not sure yet on which round

Posted By: jschoggins

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/31/12 04:00 AM

Looks awesome!... and expensive eek

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/31/12 04:21 PM

You pick your pieces and find best prices, build yourself, it's not too bad.

Just when you get Champagne tastes. drink7

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 07/31/12 07:17 PM

You pick your pieces and find best prices, build yourself, it's not too bad.

Just when you get Champagne tastes. drink7

I wish I could say the cost wasn't too bad , but I'd be lying ! I do have less than my buddy has in his billet non side charging black rain set up tho But he's a little more impatiant than me , lol

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 08/12/12 03:52 PM

The 6.8 doing work

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 08/12/12 03:57 PM

up That's what she was made to do! clap

Posted By: dtownrex

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 08/12/12 09:59 PM

[/quote]
I wish I could say the cost wasn't too bad , but I'd be lying ! I do have less than my buddy has in his billet non side charging black rain set up tho But he's a little more impatiant than me , lol [/quote]

rofl

Yeah i am an impulse buyer. Never really get to concerned with the price as long as its not outrageously overpriced!

I should have done the side charger though!
Sh!t looks sick!

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 08/19/12 08:23 PM

A 5 shot from the 6.8 at 50 . Liking how it performs with the can on!
But by the time I got to 100 and swapping the can over the heat was causing mirage and it made it very difficult to get good groups. Time for a suppressor cover !

This was my .308 I had Morgan thread and crown for me at 50. With cheap Walmart soft points . it's a stock savage. The one shot not in group is before last adjustment on scope

Posted By: jman65g

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 10/21/12 04:06 AM

That looks really nice!! I havent bought it yet but i am thinking about going with that same side charge upper and rail system for my 6.5 grendel build. i really like how well your rail transitions from the upper to your rail. i read that you had to do some fitting to the upper with that rail. was it a really big pain to do, and did you have to touch up the finish after you dremeled it to fit? also was the issue with it fitting just because of anti rotation tabs? i saw somewhere else that a guy used the same setup without the 12 o'clock rail mounted on top so it was hard to see if it fit well. and it looked like his had some black touch up on the side of the rail near where anti rotation tabs would be, but down the side as well. yours looks flawless so im hoping i would be able to do the same without touching up the finish.

thanks,
josh

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 10/21/12 06:15 PM

I had to dremel the handguard. The rear section of the handguard actually slides over part of the upper . I had to touch up the underside of the handguard that u can't even see. The reason for having to do this was because the billet mega side charging upper reciever is thick as all get out and shaped different than a regular upper . It didn't take but 20 min or less to get it done . I was really worried about grinding on such an expensive handguard but it's what I wanted and was gonna make it work !
Posted By: jman65g

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 10/24/12 12:31 AM

That's what i was wondering, it almost looked like it slid over it in the picture. what did you use for touch up? and the rail on top looks like it continues with no gap. do they overlap each other a little, or does it just seat up against each other that well that you cant see seams? sorry for the billion questions, ive been having trouble finding a rail that works with that upper. and one that turned out as nice as yours did. i really like how the top picatinny rail flows so well. i dont mind doing a little fitting to get the look i want but i dont want it to be such a project that i could end up buying an expensive rail and junk it. i appreciate the help!

Re: Mega Billet Side Charging 6.8spc - 10/24/12 01:14 AM

Most rails should work fine with the upper it's the seekins I picked that cause the problem. It's the only rail I can think of that slides over the upper . Can't remember what I used for touch up something in flat black .Rails do not overlap each other they butt up together nicely

And if u scuff the rail u can always cerakote it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum