Texas Hunting Forum

Are LCP's reliable?

Posted By: devildog28

Are LCP's reliable? - 02/23/12 04:52 PM

Being that I sometimes leave the office it's quite tedious to have to carry my laptop bag anytime I want to carry concealed away from it. Just curious if getting one would be worth the money.

Posted By: Old_Town

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/23/12 07:46 PM

I have both an LCP and a Kel-Tec P3AT, they both have been reliable. The Ruger is a little more refined.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/23/12 10:58 PM

Sposed to be. You may look at the lc9

Posted By: janie

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/23/12 11:06 PM

Definitely reliable. Trigger pull takes some getting used to however.

Posted By: wp75169

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/23/12 11:21 PM

Sold my wife's and bought her a 238. The only reason was the trigger pull. It was a very reliable gun and ate anything I could feed it.

Posted By: Omaney

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/23/12 11:25 PM

I'm up to 350 rds without a hiccup with my "Noisy Cricket".

Posted By: Canazes9

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/24/12 12:32 AM

We have two. One was 100% reliable from the first round fired, the other had a few malfunctions over the first 50 rounds and has been 100% since then.

David

Posted By: scattergun

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/24/12 01:27 AM

Had one and it had some issues. Have TCP now. Not the first hiccup.

Posted By: Texasbdog

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/24/12 01:41 AM

Mine shoots ball ammo fine, really doesn't like hollow points though.

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/24/12 03:28 AM

Nice. Guess all that's left is to buy one.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/24/12 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Canazes9
We have two. One was 100% reliable from the first round fired, the other had a few malfunctions over the first 50 rounds and has been 100% since then.

David

Mine is like your second one. Only took almost 100 rounds to smooth out and become reliable

Posted By: KC

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/24/12 04:34 AM

I assume you intend to pocket carry it? I never had a single hiccup from mine in a couple hundred rounds. Might look at a Kahr CM9 or Kel Tec P11 as an intermediate sized option.

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/24/12 04:48 AM

Mine hiccuped on a few rounds the first couple of clips I shot it. I wouldn't know if it would have smoothed out because I didn't give it the chance after that.

Posted By: Alan D

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/24/12 05:08 AM

I've heard good things about them but I've owned at least 4 380's and none of them were reliable. And I didn't have cheap ones. I'll never shoot that caliber again.

I would look at a Kahr 9mm, small, light and best of all, RELIABLE.

Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/24/12 05:23 AM

Originally Posted By: janie

^^^^^Agree
I bought 2 LCP Coyote special's when it came out. Saved one for a collector piece and front pocket carry the other often in a Blackhawk #1. It feeds ball ammo and speer gold dot very well but as already mentioned, the trigger pull is long. It is suprisingly accurate however and I think you would probably be happy as long as you remember it is a tiny, .380 pocket pistol.

Posted By: bacon45

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/24/12 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Txhuntr2
Originally Posted By: janie

^^^^^Agree
I bought 2 LCP Coyote special's when it came out. Saved one for a collector piece and front pocket carry the other often in a Blackhawk #1. It feeds ball ammo and speer gold dot very well but as already mentioned, the trigger pull is long. It is suprisingly accurate however and I think you would probably be happy as long as you remember it is a tiny, .380 pocket pistol.

Agreed. It's a pocket pistol so accuracy, to me, isn't an issue. It's a "belly gun" not a tac driver. I don't leave home without mine in my pocket. Just remember to blow the pocket lint out of it every now and then, and get a good holster.

Posted By: Hooligan

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/24/12 04:33 PM

got my mom and lc9 for christmas and it's a great pistol. Like others stated the trigger pull takes a little getting used to but it is a very reliable and accurate.

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/24/12 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: KC
I assume you intend to pocket carry it? I never had a single hiccup from mine in a couple hundred rounds. Might look at a Kahr CM9 or Kel Tec P11 as an intermediate sized option.

Yeah, I just want something that'll slip easily in my pocket if I step out to walk down the street for lunch.

Posted By: moderno

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/25/12 12:45 AM

I sure like mine, no problems.

Posted By: DannyB

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/25/12 06:23 AM

Reliable---yes. I shoot a LOT and still can't hit on paper with it very well, most likely because of the almost flush front sight. But that is expected considering the design. I consider it a very close up "get off me gun". It is perfect for what I bought it for.

Posted By: Judd

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/26/12 05:40 AM

I have one and while it has been good I don't like the fact the slide doesn't lock open when the mag is empty. For that reason I would look at the S&W or one of the others before I commited to a LCP again.

A part of me wishes I would bought the 38 LCR instead though.

Mine is surprisingly accurate.

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/26/12 06:19 AM

Lint in the action is right! I forgot to mention that.

Posted By: jeepthing

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/26/12 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: DannyB
Reliable---yes. I shoot a LOT and still can't hit on paper with it very well, most likely because of the almost flush front sight. But that is expected considering the design. I consider it a very close up "get off me gun". It is perfect for what I bought it for.

+1, I wish I hadn't sold mine. In the summertime it was perfect. Lighter and slimmer than my truck keys. Not a "fun gun" at the range, and will make your hand sore real fast. But thats not what it was designed for at all.

I agree and that's a really good way to put it above. It's a "get off me gun" that is meant for last resort scenario. Face to face combat. Not a plinker.

I will get one again, just not sure when. Shouldn't have sold the other one.

As far as reliablility. Mine liked everything including hollow points, except for Hornady. The one's with the rubber insert in the front. I think the rubber would stick a little on the feed ramp. Especially if you were firing fast and it warmed up. Not a good thing if your defending your life. But it ate up Remington Golden Sabers like they were ball ammo. But that may have been just mine?

If you get one just experiment with different ammo. Every one is a little different.

Also, I agree with blowing out lint often. Like every other day. Mine was carried in a pair of Levi's daily and if I forgot to clean for a week it would have big lint bunnies in it!!

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/27/12 04:15 AM

Does it look like a cell phone in your pocket?

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/27/12 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
I have one and while it has been good I don't like the fact the slide doesn't lock open when the mag is empty. For that reason I would look at the S&W or one of the others before I commited to a LCP again.

A part of me wishes I would bought the 38 LCR instead though.

Mine is surprisingly accurate.

I've carried quite a few auto-loaders. Now I carry and LCR in either 38 or 357. There are a lot of things in this World I haven't heard of but...I've never heard of a wheel gun with a FTF or FTE problem. up

Posted By: wp75169

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/27/12 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: devildog28

I dont know about cell phone but they make several pocket holsters that make it look like a wallet. My dad even took one of his old trifold wallets and worked it over quiet a bit and carries it in his front pocket. He can pull the pistol from the wallet or pull the whole wallet out and it still looks like a wallet.

Posted By: jeepthing

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/28/12 12:20 AM

Yes if you mean like a wide PDA, like a blackberry. But probably more like a wallet.

Re: Are LCP's reliable? - 02/28/12 04:25 AM

Yes, or something similar. Does not look out of hte ordinary. very light as well. Sometimes i forget i am carrying it.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum