Texas Hunting Forum

holster for ruger 44 mag

Posted By: acninja

holster for ruger 44 mag - 08/31/10 04:19 PM

im looking for something kinda unusual. ive got a ruger super blackhawk hunt 44 mag. but im looking for a holster for it with the scope. now heres the catch, i want leather and it to be a holster used on a belt i.e. cowboy leather look

Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 08/31/10 04:23 PM

I have several handguns that I hunt with, including a Super Blackhawk with a scope. You are going to find it very uncomfortable to wear that as a belt rig. The best setup by far for any scoped handgun is a shoulder holster, especially the bandolier type and there are several brands on the market, both in leather and nylon.

Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 08/31/10 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Lone Ranger
I have several handguns that I hunt with, including a Super Blackhawk with a scope. You are going to find it very uncomfortable to wear that as a belt rig. The best setup by far for any scoped handgun is a shoulder holster, especially the bandolier type and there are several brands on the market, both in leather and nylon.

x2

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 08/31/10 07:17 PM

well just outta curiosity whats uncomfortable about it? i mean i know its heavy. but otherwise is it just the length or what?

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 08/31/10 07:44 PM

I have belt holsters for all my handguns, except ones with scopes. They are too heavy, too long and it really pulls down on your waist after awhile, very uncomfortable. It is also very difficult to sit in a stand, chair, vehicle, etc., with a long handgun on your hip. Most of my belt holsters are crossdraw models, which are the most comfortable but most of my shoulder holsters are the bandolier type which I have found to be the most comfortable and also easiest and qucikest to access the handgun from.

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 08/31/10 07:47 PM

so o n your sbh scoped what holster do you use? i.e. brand etc

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 08/31/10 08:06 PM

What about a regular holster with the top cut out so the scope hangs outside the holster?

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 08/31/10 08:13 PM

wouldnt work, on that super blackhawk hunter the scope mounts to the barrel you have to cut it so far down that the holster would just open up and youd drop the gun

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 08/31/10 08:24 PM

I was thinkin' with a snap strap it might be possible.

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 08/31/10 08:46 PM

still looking...

Posted By: ccoker

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 08/31/10 10:04 PM

here you go..

http://qh-holsters.com/

Posted By: White Falcon

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 08/31/10 11:53 PM

Make one, takes time, make a paper pattern.

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 09/01/10 03:00 AM

There use to be several manufacturers that made leather bandolier type shoulder holsters for scoped handguns and now the only one I know of is Galco and it is called the Galco Kodiak Hunter.

You will probably be better off with a quality nylon type holster and the one I like the best is made by Bianchi and is the Ranger 4101 Hush Scoped System. The Quiet Hide holster mentioned in an earlier post is an excellent holster as well. One other brand is Uncle Mikes Bandolier Holster. Desantis makes a real good one but only for S&W and Colt and not Ruger single actions. I have one of these for my scoped S&W 460XVR and I really like it a lot.

You will be much happier with the bandolier type shoulder holster if you are going to be seriously handgun hunting as it is the most comfortable type available. Check out the Bianchi mentioned above, it is one of my favorites and is very durable and quiet.

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 09/01/10 03:09 AM

thats exactly what im looking for white falcon. only difference is that the sbh hunter mounts the scope a little farther forward. but i think i could probably figure it out. hows that crossdraw trek in the field? any problems or issues with weight or it getting in the way? youre probably about the same weight id be with that redhawk you have

Posted By: Hooper21

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 09/01/10 03:11 PM

look at sportsmansguide.com - they've got a couple that should fit the bill.

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 09/01/10 11:44 PM

My SRH has a 9 1/2 barrel, No one makes one except for the bandolier nylon and velcro ones. I didn't like the way they fit on the chest, plus the noise and hard to get in and out. Mine fits tight to the side, and can be worn crossdraw also, I like crossdraw. The weight is spread out evenly and you don't have a swing out of the holster when you walk. I like it and that is all that matters to me. I know if you make a paper pattern you can figure it out.

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 09/02/10 03:47 AM

did you make the belt and the holster or just the holster? looks like youre wearing that as a bandolier, do you also wear it waist?

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 09/02/10 01:28 PM

Yes, I made both, and holster can be worn on a regular belt. Hard part was getting the belt to lay flat when I was wearing it. Had to have my wife keep tucking the folds and I would cut the pattern and see how it fit. A lot of cutting and taping back togather.

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 09/02/10 09:50 PM

well i still like it either way, i really like how far it hangs down and that sould work better for such a heavy gun. think im gonna have to start learning to sew lol

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 09/03/10 11:44 PM

Sewing is the easy part, just takes time!
Where are you located acninj?

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 09/07/10 12:52 AM

austin

Posted By: jrfan

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 09/07/10 03:10 PM

Found this one..
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=926279

This is the one that I use for the same gun your talking about. It is a bandoilier type,and not what your looking for, but it works well for me.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?pr...tm_campaign=655

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 09/07/10 10:09 PM

thanks either of those would work well

Re: holster for ruger 44 mag - 09/09/10 02:07 AM

It's a 7 1/2 in, Not workie for a 9 1/2"

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum