Texas Hunting Forum

Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud?

Posted By: GLC

Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 04/24/10 06:35 PM

Ok I said that I would post my project and results.
First ordered www.camodipkit.com and got it in 3 days. Good so far.
Read all instructions watched web links on the process application.

And we are off!!!!!

I chose my single shot shot gun as a test case. My first gun I ever bought 35 years ago but it was not an expensive gun.

Disassembled and sanded gun.

Sprayed clear primer and then sprayed base coat, both supplied in kit.

Now the dipping. I learned a couple of very important things. First. I do not slit the masking tape as the instructions said. Tried that and the film expanded so fast that the print almost disappeared. So unles your container surface area is the exact size of the film that you cut don't cut the masking tape. Next, Be very careful when you put the film in the water. Get all of the air out from under neath the film as you lower it in the water. Once down do not attempt to straighten it or move it because the transfer plastic that the print is on disolves very fast. Next take your time lowering the part that you are coating. You will notice that the fore arm grip did not cover very well. Take your time move part slowly and if you are trying to have the film cover an almost round object, as you get the part almost submersed in the water, rotate part side to side slowly to make sure the print covers completely.

Bear in mind this is the first thing that I have tried.
Same for the stock. I had an air bubble under the film which caused the print to distort. This was my fault, inexperiance.

Now the other side looked real good.

Ok, that is as far as I am right now. I am going to let it dry for a day and then clear coat that was supplied in the kit. Instructions said that it take about 10 to 14 days before it was stable for the field. I guess it may chip?
I will post more pics once it is assembled.
So Deal or Dud?
Probably like every other guy in America, I did not want to waste any film because of the cost and thought I would be perfect on the first pass. Try smaller things first. Have a little fun before you try a gun stock. Something small preferbly flat and one sided that needs to be camoed. Second, make sure you cut large enough to cover the part allowing it to wrap all over the part. Third, GO SLOW, take your time especially with putting the film in the tank and for sure dipping the part. Fourth, wear your gloves , suplied in the kit, unless you want your hands camoed too. Hint, Hint Fifth, Don't try this on your most expensive gun. Do other things first, If you like the results after a few of test runs, go a head coat it if you like your results.
Bottom line this is not a commercial kit. You results will only be as good as the time you spend on it. Does it look like factory results, well maybe not at first but "It Is Camo" lighten up. How bad could it really be. The best thing is that you did it your self! And you can try to camo everything in the house, except for the wife. (She wiggled too much when I dipped her in the film)
My opinion DEAL!!!!!

Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 04/24/10 08:24 PM

VERY Cool. I look forward to the field report.

Posted By: massn8v

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 04/25/10 03:48 AM

Yeah, you got that one little smudge, but I think that looks great. Did you just do that in your sink or bathtub or what?

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 04/25/10 11:53 AM

Yep, that air bubble was a little nasty but not bad for the first time. If it really bugged me I could always sand , paint and redip. Did it in a plastic storage container that I had. 18 x 16 x 16. You do not want to do this in a good container because the ink/paint resdue that is not attached to the stock sticks to the side of the container.

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 04/25/10 04:37 PM

Before

After

First project complete. Gun with stained wood look better? Dosen't matter , can sand and restain if I want. I am going to play around with some smaller stuff then I want to tackel a synthetic stock that is on my black powder 45 cal.
Ok, thats it for now.

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 04/25/10 04:45 PM

Looks like a DEAL to me. up

Posted By: CamoDipKit

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 01/18/12 08:41 PM

Thank you for your review on our Camo Dip Kits and congrats on a good looking shotgun. You guys should check out NEW PRO-GRADE dip kits. We have improved on some areas from the first generation dip kits to make them even better....

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 01/18/12 08:41 PM

Check out the side by side comparison at www.camodipkit.com

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 05/06/15 03:40 PM

any other questions?
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 05/06/15 10:55 PM

CamoDipkit, I never knew hydro graphics required a primer paint. How important is that to the whole process if one wanted to leave that step out, just in case they had second thoughts later?
Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 05/09/15 06:53 PM

Nice post. Thank you for doing that
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 05/09/15 08:11 PM

Camodipkits do you have any pictures of an AR with the kryptec camo? Thanks
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 05/09/15 10:24 PM

Pretty neat. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 05/10/15 07:04 PM

Looks okay to me.

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 09/12/17 08:38 PM

Primer is important if you want the pattern to look as authentic as possible. You can dip without primer, but you will see some of the original color underneath. Remember that the film is transparent and shows whatever color is under it

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 12/13/18 09:31 PM

Anyone else have questions?
Posted By: Claysshotgunner

Re: Home camo Dip Kit Deal or Dud? - 12/17/18 02:41 AM

Looks interesting.

How would this hold up on a rifle barrel?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum