Print Thread
What size loop to snare coons? #6492134 10/12/16 03:14 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
Got some raccoons coming through an opening in my privacy fence and I'm gonna set up a snare but before I do I want to know the approx size I should make the loop? I know it has to be big enough to get their head through but want to make sure it's not to big.

Re: What size loop to snare coons? [Re: SapperTitan] #6492302 10/12/16 04:56 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Each snare 'set' will have its own dictates and thus determine the 'best' way to set the snare and loop size.

IF it is your plan to set the snare at the opening in your fence then look at that spot carefully and determine what is required of the Coons to go through it.

Is it a small opening that funnels them down? If so...use a 6"-8" loop.

If there is room for the Coons to enter over a broader area, then you'll want to use a slightly bigger loop or put obstacles in their way that forces them to enter where you want.

Too small a loop and they brush it aside or knock it down, too large and they will step through it, either not catching them or catching them around the shoulder or hind quarters.

A baited live trap actually sounds like a better method for your situation. I suppose its worth mentioning that repairing/modifying the 'opening' in the fence might also discourage them from entering.

Good luck.

Flint.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: What size loop to snare coons? [Re: flintknapper] #6492312 10/12/16 05:04 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: flintknapper
Each snare 'set' will have its own dictates and thus determine the 'best' way to set the snare and loop size.

IF it is your plan to set the snare at the opening in your fence then look at that spot carefully and determine what is required of the Coons to go through it.

Is it a small opening that funnels them down? If so...use a 6"-8" loop.

If there is room for the Coons to enter over a broader area, then you'll want to use a slightly bigger loop or put obstacles in their way that forces them to enter where you want.

Too small a loop and they brush it aside or knock it down, too large and they will step through it, either not catching them or catching them around the shoulder or hind quarters.

A baited live trap actually sounds like a better method for your situation. I suppose its worth mentioning that repairing/modifying the 'opening' in the fence might also discourage them from entering.

Good luck.

Flint.
I thought about repairing it but I'd rather catch them haha. So a little back story. Behind my house is a lot of tall grass and I see rats and mice running along my privacy fence all the time so I decided to start baiting them so I can shoot them with the gamo for fun and it is a lot of fun. Problem is the. Air has brought in the rats and mice for me to shoot bust also coons, skunks, and possums which are also fun to shoot with the gamo but I can't shoot them all and want to try my hand at snaring a few. I'll take a pic of my setup so you can see what I'm working with.

Re: What size loop to snare coons? [Re: SapperTitan] #6492318 10/12/16 05:09 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S

Re: What size loop to snare coons? [Re: SapperTitan] #6492502 10/12/16 06:58 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Place something in that 'hole' above the snare (takes away that option to enter) and place some strands of grass/weeds around the snare to make it less conspicuous. Make the raccoon think it is pushing through weeds.

They have excellent night vision and will likely see the snare (as is)...though might not associate it with anything dangerous to them.

The placement is good and the loop size looks right, but the loop doesn't appear to have been 'pre-tensioned/loaded' so it will 'fire' when it drops. Unless the coon moves rapidly through that opening I see a good chance that it will knock your set down or back out of it.

IF the coon comes through quickly....you should be OK, but you can make that loop MUCH better by pre-tensioning/loading it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAf1XPbX5AI

Re: What size loop to snare coons? [Re: flintknapper] #6492562 10/12/16 07:28 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
Place something in that 'hole' above the snare (takes away that option to enter) and place some strands of grass/weeds around the snare to make it less conspicuous. Make the raccoon think it is pushing through weeds.

They have excellent night vision and will likely see the snare (as is)...though might not associate it with anything dangerous to them.

The placement is good and the loop size looks right, but the loop doesn't appear to have been 'pre-tensioned/loaded' so it will 'fire' when it drops. Unless the coon moves rapidly through that opening I see a good chance that it will knock your set down or back out of it.

IF the coon comes through quickly....you should be OK, but you can make that loop MUCH better by pre-tensioning/loading it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAf1XPbX5AI

it has tension just hard to see. I used a stiff staple to tack it in place its kind hard to see. I will add some grass and block that hole and see if I get anything tonight.

Re: What size loop to snare coons? [Re: SapperTitan] #6492928 10/12/16 11:44 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
Ok so I did my best to load the snare but apparently I suck at it bc I'm having a hard time getting it just right. I'm gonna run with what I got and try to improve it tomorrow.

Re: What size loop to snare coons? [Re: SapperTitan] #6493036 10/13/16 01:04 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Let us know how it goes, hope you get 'em!

And please know my post was not meant to criticize in any way, I just want you to have the best chance of catching the raccoon the very first try.

We don't want the coon to back out of the snare or for it not to close properly. Coons have very dexterous paws and will literally pull the loop off their neck if it doesn't close properly (or if you have a 'relaxing' type lock on it).

If you catch that rascal let us know.

Last edited by flintknapper; 10/13/16 01:32 AM.

Re: What size loop to snare coons? [Re: SapperTitan] #6493170 10/13/16 02:20 AM
B
Blackrain Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
6" loop 3" off the ground. It looks like a larger animal type snare. You can get some good information from this company. http://www.dakotalinesnares.com/ an this company. http://www.mntrapline.com/basic_snaring.php
9 gage wire makes a good snare support.

Last edited by Blackrain; 10/13/16 02:25 AM.
Re: What size loop to snare coons? [Re: SapperTitan] #6493208 10/13/16 02:38 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
This video helped me a lot very easy to follow his instructions.

Re: What size loop to snare coons? [Re: SapperTitan] #6493820 10/13/16 04:25 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Its a good video. His method of 'loading' the snare however is more suited to the 'cam lock' on the snare in the video. I believe you have a different type lock?

I actually double load mine (load at the point shown in the video and at the other end) because I use cam locks exclusively.

The other thing to watch for...is when loading the cable, be sure to keep it oriented correctly.

If you slide the cable over an object unevenly (off to one side) you will introduce a 'twist' in the cable which actually makes the loop harder to close than if you had left it alone.

That is why most folks use something with a fairly large radius (piece of pipe, trailer ball, etc) to put the pre-tension in it.

You can use a fence wire as shown in the video, but I wouldn't recommend it for your first try.

The rest of the information is spot on.

Best of luck, get that Coon!

Flint.

Re: What size loop to snare coons? [Re: flintknapper] #6494121 10/13/16 08:01 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
Its a good video. His method of 'loading' the snare however is more suited to the 'cam lock' on the snare in the video. I believe you have a different type lock?

I actually double load mine (load at the point shown in the video and at the other end) because I use cam locks exclusively.

The other thing to watch for...is when loading the cable, be sure to keep it oriented correctly.

If you slide the cable over an object unevenly (off to one side) you will introduce a 'twist' in the cable which actually makes the loop harder to close than if you had left it alone.

That is why most folks use something with a fairly large radius (piece of pipe, trailer ball, etc) to put the pre-tension in it.

You can use a fence wire as shown in the video, but I wouldn't recommend it for your first try.

The rest of the information is spot on.

Best of luck, get that Coon!

Flint.
I learned the hard way the first time I attempted to load and got a twisted snare roflmao
I just tossed it. I ended up using a nail and doing it very carefully and got the snare the way I want it. I also tweeted a few things with it bc last night the rats and mice would bump it and the snare would close about half way which would have been perfect if it was a coon not a rat. So now I moved it about 3 inches away from the opening and about 2 inches off the ground in hopes the rats and mice will go under it or around it without triggering it. Also shot a skunk last night right before dark and have no idea where he came into my yard bc he didn't move the snare.

Re: What size loop to snare coons? [Re: SapperTitan] #6494728 10/14/16 05:54 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
Just walked outside to make sure snare was still good to go before I head to bed and there is a skunk at the bait. Popped him in the head with the gamo and he dropped and never moved an inch. At first there was no stink at all which surprised me. I went in to get a garbage bag so I could throw him in it and toss in trash apparently a little something leaked out bc damn did it stink when I went back out there roflmao

Re: What size loop to snare coons? [Re: SapperTitan] #6494772 10/14/16 11:06 AM
R
redhaze Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Wow

Re: What size loop to snare coons? [Re: SapperTitan] #6495135 10/14/16 03:43 PM
7x57 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Idk how to snare, but a bodygrip or a DP would probably be easier.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide